3dlabs wildcat 4210

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3dlabs wildcat 4210

I haven't gotten a 3dlabs card yet. A 3dlabs wildcat 4210. Hypermicro systems has 271 of these.

How does this one compare to something like a Wildcat 5110 or 6110? This is the 256mb version, would it be worth it if I can get a 128mb 3dlabs Wildcat III 6110 for cheaper?

Re: 3dlabs wildcat 4210

Why would you want such a card other than for "collection" purposes? Are you doing pro 3D work? That card is going to be really slow compared to any "normal" card you can get for similar cash. Given it's age it's probably comparable to a Gforce2, maybe a 3 at best, and probably a lot worse in games.

It's AGP PRO, do you have a MB with that slot?

Also, those tiny fans are probably going to be really damn loud.

Comment

I looked a bit more into those models and how they compare. In general from slowest to fastest is 4XXX->5XXX->6XXX. So a 6110 is probably faster than the 4210.

Also, I found an actual benchmark of 5110 which puts it at a bit faster than a Quadro 2 (=Gforce 2). That would likely mean the 4XXX cards are Gforce 1 level or slower.

Comment

Collection purposes. I do have a few cad/cam programs I use like mastercam and Key Creator, but they don't require much graphics HP.

The usermanual for this from the 3dlabs site is dated to 2000, so I will put it in my IBM M pro 6221 motherboard, make a nostalgic workstation.

Comment

It's not to my taste, but given my collection I can't fault anyone for that :-)

However, the from what I can see the IBM 6221 has an AGP PRO 50 slot. The Wildcat 4210 requires an AGP PRO 110 slot.

Unless your cad programs require some special "workstation" 3D features then they should run better on a cheap normal card. Even most integrated video cards today would stomp that old thing.

Comment

It's actually a m pro 6868. I can't tell if this one has a agp pro 50 slot only, as it has a extra power connector for the agp slot that my 6221 board dosen't have for it's agp pro 50 slot.

Comment

I got two Wildcat/3DLabs cards here.
              One is a 4000 which works in (and kills the AGP port of any other computer) a Dell and then there's another 4000 series card I got which fits in a dual PIII AGP Pro board. Sure they suck when it comes to modern performance but they seem to still do OpenGL well.
              Find Nedry!

Check the Vending machines!!

<----Computer says I need more beer.

Comment

I have an almost unlimited supply of those m pro dual p3 boards because my computer tech class has about 20 or 30 of them donated to them, so if I kill this one by doing it I will just get another. He dosen't care if I take them as he dosen't have ram (rambus) for half of them.

Comment

I remember running WinBench on an HP Visualize FX4+ card I have. I was stunned to see how slow it is at 2D. It was beaten up badly by a cheap ATI Rage consumer card from the same year.
                  But the image quality is great, and it's sort of funny to see it running OpenGL screen savers without any texturing.

I think the reason it failed so bad at winbench is because DirectX support was an afterthought. It doesn't run Direct3D at all, but DirectX 2D works (slowly). They used the same card in PA-RISC machines where DirectX is a non-issue.

Comment

Well, i decided on the 4210 for nostalgia purposes. It arrived today completely NOS, never opened.

The board I am using it in is a IBM Mpro 6868 board. The psu is my recapped ATNG AP-500 450W because it has 250W on the 5v and 3.3v, as well as a 20pin main mobo connector with almost all 16 gauge wires, 6pin AT style plug with all 16 gauge, and a ton of molex's which this board needs an extra molex for AGP pro power.

Anyways, plugged it in, didn't post at first. Could not figure it out, reseated it a billion times, nothing. Tried both dvi ports on the card, nothing. So, i went online searching for answers when it struck me. The keyboard and mouse ports are backwards on this motherboard, and there is no internal speaker to sound off a beep code. Sure enough I switched the keyboard and mouse ports and it posted.

So, specs as they stand of this machine are as follows:

IBM Mpro 6868 w/ dual p3 733mhz
                    512mb PC800 ECC Rambus
                    Adaptec 2490 (2940?) 68pin scsi card, 9.1gb 7200rpm IBM scsi drive
                    3dlabs Wildcat 4210 256mb
                    Dell XPS T500 case (ya, I know but everything fits nicely and it's the only other case I have that holds a standard ATX board and full length cards)
                    Debating on either win 2000 or XP on it. Probably xp.
                    Last edited by 370forlife; 01-19-2010, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X