Recap Samsung t220hd advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recap Samsung t220hd advice needed

Hello, i have a samsung t220hd monitor with bad caps (sam young) i'm into the proccess of buying some good quality caps and replace them but my knowledge is limited so my questions is, what caps should i buy ? And second my monitor was taking too long to open from standby or by pressing the button, some other guy had this problem too and solved it by replacing the caps with different uf caps should i do the same ?
    thanks in advance

edit the caps on the board are :
    450v - 120uf x1
    25v - 820uf x3
    10v - 1000uf x2
    25v - 680uf x1
    10v - 330uf x1
    50v - 47 uf x1
    Last edited by cronogr; 09-04-2011, 11:16 AM.

Re: Recap Samsung t220hd advice needed

Originally posted by cronogr View Post
    Hello, i have a samsung t220hd monitor with bad caps (sam young) i'm into the proccess of buying some good quality caps and replace them but my knowledge is limited so my questions is, what caps should i buy ? And second my monitor was taking too long to open from standby or by pressing the button, some other guy had this problem too and solved it by replacing the caps with different uf caps should i do the same ?
    thanks in advance
    If someone said they solved their monitor problem by hitting it with a baseball bat would you try it?

I think we can agree that the guys who designed and manufactured these monitors were not the brightest engineers on the planet, but they DID know how to calculate capacitance requirements. Increasing the capacitance or voltage when choosing replacement caps will not improve reliability and could have detrimental consequences.

There are two ways to select replacements. Both start the same way - list the capacitance, voltage, manufacturer, series, diameter, and height of every electrolytic capacitor in the power supply.

Then you can use the PCBONEZ method. Look up the ESR and ripple current of each original cap. Choose replacement caps that have the same capacitance and voltage, the same or lower ESR, the same or higher ripple current and fit into the same space.

Or you can do it the PlainBill way and follow this procedure. This will take much less time and infuriate PCBONEZ.

If you use the PlainBill method, I suggest listing the original parts and your selections. Someone will review your selections and either approve them or suggest alternate parts.

PlainBill
    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Re: Recap Samsung t220hd advice needed

Originally posted by cronogr View Post
      And second my monitor was taking too long to open from standby or by pressing the button, some other guy had this problem too and solved it by replacing the caps with different uf caps should i do the same ?
      If the other guy was an electronic engineer with schematics and a good understanding of the monitor power supply circuitry, maybe... But more is not always better, and probably it was just replacing failing caps that made it work like new again.

When measuring the capacitors for replacement, get diameter, height, and lead spacing in millimeters. A ruler works, digital calipers are easier. Add those measurements to the uF and voltage ratings you already have. It's not fun to wait for mail-order parts, get them, and find out none of them fit. It's even worse if all of them fit but one.

Comment

Working...
      X