Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can a bad Y sustain or Y driver boards damage the plasma panel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can a bad Y sustain or Y driver boards damage the plasma panel?

I got my hands on not functioning TC-P50S30 Panasonic Plasma. The TV would not turn on and I was getting 7 LED flashes, which most people say is bad SS (Y-sustain) board. Sure enough it was shorted out, but I did not check on the Y drivers. I ordered online repair kit, re-soldered the parts, short went away. Put everything back, turned the TV on and nothing. 7 LED flashes again. The boar shorted out again, so I assumed the drivers are bad as well. Not worth the money anymore.

I want to sell the panel, but I have never technically seen it on/working, so I cannot say with 100% certainty that it works. It is not cracked or anything, but I want to make sure that the panel cannot be damaged by other means, like shorted driver boards. Can it? Would I be most likely OK selling it as functional?

Thanks

Re: Can a bad Y sustain or Y driver boards damage the plasma panel?

The panel is a solid state gas discharge tube, very hard for the sustainers to damage it. But, it is possible the panel is bad in itself due to a micro crack on the edge or damaged ribbon cables. This is a very rare fault on Panasonic sets, but something worth watching out for.

I doubt you'd have much luck selling the panel - they are pretty solid devices that rarely fail, at least on Panasonic sets.
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

We did have some Panasonic panels thet were bad, If you looked over the panel with a magnifier you could see one tiny black spot, (shorted plama cell) that would short a new buffer board in 2 sec.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
        they are pretty solid devices that rarely fail, at least on Panasonic sets.
        Tell that to a kid with a Wii remote :P lol

Comment

Originally posted by Pioneerx01 View Post
          I got my hands on not functioning TC-P50S30 Panasonic Plasma. The TV would not turn on and I was getting 7 LED flashes, which most people say is bad SS (Y-sustain) board. Sure enough it was shorted out, but I did not check on the Y drivers. I ordered online repair kit, re-soldered the parts, short went away. Put everything back, turned the TV on and nothing. 7 LED flashes again. The boar shorted out again, so I assumed the drivers are bad as well. Not worth the money anymore.

I want to sell the panel, but I have never technically seen it on/working, so I cannot say with 100% certainty that it works. It is not cracked or anything, but I want to make sure that the panel cannot be damaged by other means, like shorted driver boards. Can it? Would I be most likely OK selling it as functional?

Thanks
          Why don't you fault find it a bit more to get a better idea on what's going on.

If the SD/SU boards are ok then it would be reasonably safe to assume the panel is ok as I find if these are powered with a cracked /shorted panel the buffers go. For the 2010 models I found it was the SD that would be dead.

The repair kits are rarely a 1 size fits all.

I've done the same SC board and it was $4 in parts 4 IGBTs. Sounds like your board had more failed on it.

If you have a multimeter I'm sure we can at least work out what went wrong.

had you fired that SC board up using the SC50 jumper (sd/su bypass) and the board failed then you'd be 100% certain something was missed on the SC.

If we find the SD/SU are not shorted that too would suggest failed SC repair.

Potentially all these need replacing D401 D421 Q441 Q402 Q403 Q422 Q423 Q531 IC502
          Last edited by tw2005; 04-17-2015, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X