Samsung Syncmaster 245BW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Samsung Syncmaster 245BW

That would be easy. At the risk of sounding well you know, where/how is the reset on the monitor accomplished? I tried to reset and adjust in the OSD, but it seems like I have locked or as it says, Brightness "Not Available"

Again, thank you in advance.

Comment

Update - first I would like to thank everyone again. I found the issue with the color.

It was something simple - it was the video cable - NFG. :-) That was simple.

So if your monitor is not working, look at RB805 at least and the ones beside it.

I could only find 68 ohms 5 watts. There is fortunately lots of room. Still need to get the OSD unlocked and fighting with that!

Cheers

Comment

replaced the 5 Caps with the ones suggested to get from DigiKey

but Monitor flickers and eventually turns black

i been reading that shining a bright flashlight will show if its still on

i did it and i can slightly see the display...it does stay on but i'm thinking its a backlight issue?

also, if i turn brightness all the way to 100 it stays on but flickers and shuts off sooner @ 66?...i thought keeping it lower would be safer?

please help!...is it the CCFL Bulbs and with the possibility of hurting myself, how safe/hard is it to replace these bulbs?

Comment

also, i checked usage and it says i've had it on for 15,000+ hours

good/bad high/low for a monitor?

Comment

Originally posted by zx23rr View Post
            Update - first I would like to thank everyone again. I found the issue with the color.

It was something simple - it was the video cable - NFG. :-) That was simple.

So if your monitor is not working, look at RB805 at least and the ones beside it.

I could only find 68 ohms 5 watts. There is fortunately lots of room. Still need to get the OSD unlocked and fighting with that!
            Cheers
            hi zx23rr,
            have u tried this

To unlock the OSD, follow these steps:

Make sure the OSD screen is off.
            Push and hold the Menu button on your monitor for at least 5 seconds to lock or unlock the controls. (The led may flash quickly when lock has been activated.)
            Note: If your monitor has a remote, use the Menu button on the monitor only.

Good luck!..

Comment

hi newbie1,

That is how I think I finally managed to unlock the OSD, but not out of a procedure more dumb luck.

I am enjoying the screen very much. Upgraded from a 19" CRT. I am enjoying the real estate.

Like most things, heat seems to be the biggest threat to electronics. I am trying to figure away of getting air to move around and near the power supply area. Anyone try this or have a thought on it!

Comment

Originally posted by mladen82 View Post
                Ok, problem is solved with replacing burned resistor RB805 (temporaly with 45ohm).
                Now i reading both main voltages +5.3V and +24V.
                PFC was not in function because of open RB805.

Thanx cloepula for resistor

i just joined yesterday to see the pictures in this thread, checked that exact resistor in my monitor, replaced it with a ca 53 ohm one, and now i have a working monitor again.

and as i have found out, the high after fixing something that valuable is probably greater than drugs... allthou i have only fixed my moniter and not taken drugs

anyways, replacing a measures 64 ohm with a 53 ohm should be okay, right?

and... THANKS YOU SO MUCH GUYS!
                Last edited by bsua; 01-17-2011, 05:09 PM.

Comment

As a side note, if you go and replace RB805, I would highly recommend changing out RB806 and RB807 as well. Same resistors and all seem to be subjected to a lot of heat or just "run" hot.

I was having trouble finding the same "size" resistor in 68 ohm without having to wait a long time (the weekend). So as mentioned before, I replaced them with TRW 68 ohm 5
                  watt variety. There is amazingly lots of room in that part of the housing to have the resistor body protrude out/away from the board to the side.

Anyone have a neat solution for cooling the power supply? I am going to see if that is a way of ventilating the power supply board to have it run cooler/more airflow.

Cheers,

Comment

Here are some before and afters..... RB805, RB806, & RB807 replaced

Attached Files

Comment

my original resistors did not look that bad, if i had not measured there was no way of telling one was broken. my monitor is in an eastbound window, so its "ventilated" and does not get sun. i reakon you could plud a fan into the monitors 12v out and give it airflow that way. just get a low-rpm one.

anyways. 50ohm instead of 65 ohm. is that ok?

Comment

Yes, should be fine, just that it'll heat up a little more. Those look like they are minimum load resistors - they're using an outdated design on that power supply.
                        Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                        Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                        A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Just a thought, those three resistors are in series. IF you only replace one and it is not of the same resistance, will there not be a higher current going to be realized by the remaining two possibly leading to a future failure. RB805 is the first in the series and seems to be the one that is failing. In my case they looked to have warmed up a little!

On the fan/cooling side of things, where on the board could the fan be wired in? Lets say a small 40mm unit.

I would assume they are 5 volt.

Comment

they are actually in series... didnt think of that. well, if it fails again, i know where to look.

my monitor has an 12 volt outlet besides the 230v and signal inputs. just plug a pc fan in there and aim it through the grill i suppose. if you wanna go for silence, add an resistor before the fan and enjoy

edit; added picture, the 12v out is at the far left
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by bsua; 01-18-2011, 06:24 PM.

Comment

Bsua, - good call! Thank you. I'll play with that and see what I can come up with. Cheers

Comment

so after reading this...looks like majority of the problem comes either from Burnt Resistors or a bad "big" cap?

Comment

I have the dreaded blue power light on and black screen scenario. Originally I was going to buy the whole power board until I found this site, now with your expert guidance I am going to replace the RB 805,6,7 resistors as mine are shockingly burnt out. I just wanted to clarify that they are 68R 5W power resistors and nothing else, no special markings etc?

I can solder but have never done so on such an expensive item so having built up the courage to do it, I'd just like some reassurance that I am using the correct parts. Also many many thanks to the contributors on here, Samsung are no help and in effect if the repair goes well you will have saved me a fortune, much respect to you all.

Comment

I replaced EVERY capacitor on the power supply with 105C rated panasonic replacements. I pulled out RB805 and tested it with my fluke 12. It's not giving me 68 ohms, but rather values in the millions. If I'm not mistaken that means it's open, correct?

I will replace these 3 resistors ASAP.

My background is that I used to work in a repair shop doing menial repairs after the troubleshooting was done. I got reasonably good at soldering from doing lots of PCB work but I have no real skill with electronics.

I ordered the QM802 part (the tiny smd transistor) but it seems I got the wrong one as the one I have is probably half the size.

To answer Nog above, they are 68 ohm, but not normally 5W value. I would guess they are probably around the 1 W value but you shouldn't believe me :-)

Comment

5W looks like overkill,and 1W or 2W should be both fine electronically, and also would be easier to fit,in a reasonable way.

Comment

Originally posted by Perineum View Post
                                        I replaced EVERY capacitor on the power supply with 105C rated panasonic replacements. I pulled out RB805 and tested it with my fluke 12. It's not giving me 68 ohms, but rather values in the millions. If I'm not mistaken that means it's open, correct?
                                        Yes.

Originally posted by Rtech View Post
                                        5W looks like overkill,and 1W or 2W should be both fine electronically, and also would be easier to fit,in a reasonable way.
                                        5W means bigger resistor = heat dissipated more evenly = happier capacitors around it. If a 5W can be fitted, do it.
                                        Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                                        Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                                        A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Thanks for the help, I have ordered some RES W/W 5W 68R with a maximum operation temp of 250 degrees celsius, there were others I nearly bought with a max temp of 70 but guessed that seeing that my old ones burnt out a higher operation temp might be a better option, they also have standoffs for better heat dissipation. Anyone In UK looking for these resistors please feel free to contact me direct and I'll happily share where I got them (as if I'm right forum rules do not allow me to say??). Will post back once job is completed. I can't promise any photos as I have a Samsung camera and that doesn't work either...

Comment

Working...
                                          X