Best 22,33&47uf cap between 35-63v

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best 22,33&47uf cap between 35-63v

I am currently into building my own tattoo machines and right now working on the heart of the machine witch would be my coils and cap. I'm not to knowledged in this field of capacitors and was hoping if someone can help me out in choosing the best cap to work with for this type of application. Standard machines run a 22uf for lining ,33uf for lining/shader & 47uf for shading/coloring. Not that I will ever be going higher than 12v to run the machine , I figured there had to be a difference between a 22uf 35v compared to a 22uf 63v. Would it get hotter faster ?? Also since we work the machines for long hours at a time, what cap would best suite the job? I did a bit of reading and it seems most u guys would ride with a rubycon but was not sure if it would be the best for this application. Any and all responses would be an awesome help. I'll try and answer questions if there are any that you may have. Thank you in advance!!

Re: Best 22,33&47uf cap between 35-63v

difference between them is case size

if it gets really hot
    <100´c
    Rubycon RX (130´c)
    will survive there,
    if its really hot-hell
    desing to begin with

Comment

Well if the cap gets hot that's a bad thing , means I'm working it to much . Would you happen to the the lifespan on it ? How many hours of operations ?

Comment

What is the purpose of this capacitor? How does it alter the operation of the machine? Timing, frequency, amplitude?
        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

The circuit created when you combine a capacitor with the magnetic coils is called a Resonant Tank Circuit. It essentially alternately stores energy in the field of the coils and between the plates of the capacitor. Thus it is creating AC from the DC current. The frequency at which the tank circuit runs is determined by the combination of the coils and the capacitor, change the value of either of them will change the operation frequency of the needle.

Comment

Layers ,Ohms ,Turns ,MW Gauge ,Core OD

8 , 1.5 ,400 ,24 ,0.317 in
            10 , 1.8 , 460 ,24 ,0.317 in
            12 , 2.5 ,565 ,24 , 0.317 in
            8 , 2.1 , 450 ,25 ,0.317 in
            Last edited by Epiclife; 01-19-2014, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Frequency would vary between 140-175 Hz for lining 22uf or 33uf. 105-120 Hz for shanding/color 47uf

Comment

Cap also fine tunes the machine and creat less spark at the contact points.

Comment

You might be best off with a bipolar capacitor then, assuming the capacitor is AC biased not DC biased?
                  Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                  For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

I can use either one but the bipolar one would be better for when I start making more of them (custom coils and caps). Most people will just hook up the clip cord any witch way not knowing the positive and negative side to the machine. Witch in turn can fry the cap
                    Last edited by Epiclife; 01-19-2014, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Yes so in which case Panasonic SU or similar would work.

Comment

Similar as in high temp? Would the rubycon Rx and the Panasonic su be similar ?

Comment

Would the volts matter as well? I'll never go over 12v but do understand I don't want to be close to the 12v range. Don't want the cap exploding in my face in the middle of a tattoo

Comment

What is driving this Resonant circuit?
                            Never stop learning
                            Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                            http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Rubycon RXC is not a bipolar type.
                              Very few 105°C bipolar capacitors exist.

Target lifespan of widget? 10,000 hrs? 20,000 hrs?
                              If someone uses your widget for 5 hours 5 days a week (I am taking a guess at average tattoo store usage) then 10khours is 7.6 years.

If a general purpose cap stays below about 45°C and is rated at 2,000 hours at 85°C it's possible to get 32,000 hours out of it. (Lifespan doubles for each 10°C fall in temp from rated, approximately.)

So your widget could last ~24years before failing with 32khour capacitor.

Comment

Originally posted by budm View Post
                                What is driving this Resonant circuit?
                                Are you asking what will be powering the tattoo machine ?

And Tom66- so what would be similar to the Panasonic SU ?

Sorry for the dumb questions just know very little about capacitors ..

Comment

Rubycon NA, if you like.

Comment

Thank you guys for the help. It's greatly appreciated .

Comment

Working...
                                    X