Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RECAPPED Viewsonic VG2230WM died tonight.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RECAPPED Viewsonic VG2230WM died tonight.

Earlier this year around February, I found a Viewsonic VG2230WM in the trash. I took it apart and found blown Capxon caps. I replaced all but two with FR, FM and FC caps and the unit was fine until tonight.
    The two I didn't replace was the big 400V 120uF and a small GL 50v unable to see the capacitance due to some really hard glue that even a razor blade couldn't cut into it or it removed the paint/sleeve from the can. I think it's 22uF. At the time I wasn't really confident in maneuvering in tight spaces with a soldering iron, since the location of the small one was surround by zener diodes on the back side, I skipped it.

All night the picture kept freezing, I mistakenly thought it was the system on the bench locking up. Well Just about 30 minutes ago I got up and went to the kitchen and when I came back the monitor was missing the right portion of the screen. Maybe the T-Con board went kaput. But then I looked closer and saw the blue LED light was dimming then returning to full brightness, but the backlight did not exhibit this problem.

Turn it off and it never turn on again, Unplugged wait a few, replugged it back in. It turn on and display ok for 5 seconds before green lines appear all over the right side of the screen and then the display went dead.

Took it apart didn't see anything wrong.

Question is would this small Capxon GL be the problem? it's located on the stand-by side of the board

I'm pretty sure it's 22uf 50v, voltage is correct since that writing was in clear sight. But I don't have any 22uf, used my last one few days ago. I have 2.2uf and 47uf at 50v Panasonic FC, would one of these make a good substitute? or should I just order the correct one from digikey?
    Last edited by Mad_Professor; 09-18-2011, 02:50 AM.

Re: RECAPPED Viewsonic VG2230WM died tonight.

I would not take the chance with the small start up cap.Replace it with exactly what was in it.The 22uf cap rings a bell.
    Dose your monitor use a Delta power supply?
    What the number of the board?
    Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

So know we know how replacing -all- the craps the first time around avoids wasting time to take it all apart again.

If that cap is the one alexanna thinks it is then you need to keep the uF the same.
      Mann-Made Global Warming.
      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
      -
      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
      -

Comment

Originally posted by alexanna View Post
        I would not take the chance with the small start up cap.Replace it with exactly what was in it.The 22uf cap rings a bell.
        Dose your monitor use a Delta power supply?
        What the number of the board?
        YES!

DAC-19M009
        REV: 01A AF

All right, will place digi-key order after league tonight.
        Last edited by Mad_Professor; 09-18-2011, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Replaced that GL with an FM but the display still doesn't work.

The light comes on then goes off and repeats.

I hear a slight hissing or very quiet high pitch whine almost sound like white noise from the speakers but it definitely coming from the PSU. It sounds like it's coming from the area where the transformer that bridges secondary to the primary. It goes in tempo with the led turning on then off again.

The cap I replaced is near J100, the hissing is in the general area.

Any ideas what it could be?
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Mad_Professor; 09-29-2011, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Slap a computer fan on the back of it and see if that helps. I've a 20" Dell monitor that has that 1/2 screen problem. It's on the on the video/graphics board and would work fine for 20 minutes until it got hot. Doing the fan bit cleared it.

I'll get to it... someday
            veritas odium parit

Comment

Originally posted by Toasty View Post
              Slap a computer fan on the back of it and see if that helps. I've a 20" Dell monitor that has that 1/2 screen problem. It's on the on the video/graphics board and would work fine for 20 minutes until it got hot. Doing the fan bit cleared it.

I'll get to it... someday
              Well I gotta get it working first.

The display turns on for a split second before it shuts off again, it keeps turning on it's like power is getting to it then it's loses the supply and starts over again.

LED on, back light on, no signal appears on screen for a split second, completely shuts off. Led comes on, backlight comes on, no signal appears for a split second, completely shuts off, and it repeats.

It's not going to black it completely dying.

any ideas why it's doing this?

Comment

Try removing the glass fuse on the front of the power supply for the inverter.
                Then see if the front PLED responds normally.
                Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

Originally posted by Mad_Professor View Post
                  Well I gotta get it working first.

The display turns on for a split second before it shuts off again, it keeps turning on it's like power is getting to it then it's loses the supply and starts over again.

LED on, back light on, no signal appears on screen for a split second, completely shuts off. Led comes on, backlight comes on, no signal appears for a split second, completely shuts off, and it repeats.

It's not going to black it completely dying.

any ideas why it's doing this?
                  I had something vaguely similar on a power 'brick'. The startup cap was bad. A shorted transistor on the inverter could do it too.

PlainBill
                  For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

I still don't think the problem is in the PSU. The right side screen failure says to me that the video board has a failure. That could be shutting the whole thing down.

In the few seconds it does come up, what voltages are you seeing from the PSU?

Do you have it connected to the computer for signal?

Do you get and OSD menu?
                    veritas odium parit

Comment

Originally posted by alexanna View Post
                      Try removing the glass fuse on the front of the power supply for the inverter.
                      Then see if the front PLED responds normally.
                      Been really busy last couple of weeks then today I had free time so I've been cleaning and this monitor was just getting in the way so I need to fix it or junk it.

Anyways I removed the fuse and the monitor stays on, displays an image but...

I shine a light into the screen and it looks like the TCON board is fubar.
                      Right side screen is scrambled to hell. I switch the tcon cables around to confirm that it was indeed the tcon board and not a bad cable.

At this point it's not worth fixing. Since I have another viewsonic that's 17" with bad ccfl. It might have been worth it if it was just few lines but since it's the whole right screen, forget about it.

I think from now on I'm going to avoid viewsonics since this is like the fourth one I've repaired and it has died due to some other component failing.

Comment

I have one of these monitors, the power light didn't blink but the screen stayed black. Replacing the three 220uF 25V caps fixed it. All of them had convex top ends, the rest of the caps had flat top ends so I left them in. I found disassembly instructions here:

Comment

From your image I can tell you that the four connectors on your upper left corner are wrong, the two blue ones should be on the top, and the two pink ones at the bottom.

I guess you already got rid of the monitor, but in case someone refers to this thread...

(like me)

Comment

The way he has them is correct, and actually it does not matter since they are 4 completely separated lamps, any one of them can be connected in any socket since since each lamp has its owns two wires.
                            http://s807.photobucket.com/albums/y...t=DSC00397.jpg

otherwise I will not be able to use my test lamps.
                            Never stop learning
                            Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                            http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Working...
                            X