Samsung Syncmaster 216bw w/pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung Syncmaster 216bw w/pics

Found this at the curb so I rescued it. This is the largest display I have worked on in a while. Tear down was nice and easy. 3 screws for the stand and three screws for the shell then pry at the bottom corners and wala.

Accessing the power board was also simple. Slide the main cover on one end to expose power lines. Unhook the remaining connectors and lift it up and three screws and the invertor board is free to work on.

Symptoms+Powers on with picture but flickering then black screen with blue power still lit. Turned it off and restarted it and picture came on without flickering but shuts down to black screen in 10 seconds or so blue power still lit.

Most of it is bulging caps as you can see in the pics. I think I will do a full recap knowing Samsung's track record with their tv's and displays. I was also pleasantly surprised to find so few caps on the board! Should be an easy fix.
    Attached Files

Re: Samsung Syncmaster 216bw w/pics

A full recap is definitely in order. You can generally leave the large 450V cap alone as it rarely fails. Use low-esr caps like Panasonic FR, FM or FC series from digikey.com and select USPS First Class shipping for lowest cost shipping.

Comment

Originally posted by junkmansam View Post
      Most of it is bulging caps as you can see in the pics.
      Ahh, more Capxon GL. I just recapped a Samsung with bloated Capxon GLs.
      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Got my order in from Digikey. $12 all Pani FC's cause a lot of the FM's were not avail. I'll update when its back together.

Comment

Originally posted by junkmansam View Post
          Got my order in from Digikey. $12
          $12? That sounds high? How much was shipping? For USA customers they have a <$3 USD USPS 1st class option and you get the caps in about 2 days.
          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

The board looks a lot like the 214T. Just like the 214T that I am looking at while I type this very post. You should have no problems reviving this one. Good find!

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
              $12? That sounds high? How much was shipping? For USA customers they have a <$3 USD USPS 1st class option and you get the caps in about 2 days.
              I ordered a couple extra caps. They did charge me tax also. First class was used.

Comment

Digikey came through! Got em yesterday and it is now recapped and working like new again. Ain't she perty?
                Attached Files

Comment

I'm jealous. Curb find is not something we have here anymore.
                  --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

It's a rare occasion here believe me. I'm sure there will be more and more of these casualties showing up at the street level. People mostly still have the "replace it" attitude.

Comment

Here in Canada, most people are educated to take their electronics to a recycle centre and hence no more "curb finds".

If you go to a recycle centre and try to take broken stuff, it is considered theft.
                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Working...
                      X