another Samsung 2233

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

another Samsung 2233

bought from Dell in part because of its 3y warranty , but now Samsung says its 1y and back light failed at 2.5y

started to flicker a few days back, went black a few times and then re-fired. Now it flashes on and off and then goes totally black although display is still visible with a bright light.

board is different than most I have seen.
    https://docs.google.com/open?id=0Bx4...E1OTZhZTBmYzVh

2 fuses (circled) at least not tiny pico units and test OK. Pulled all the SAMYOUNG caps and they all test ok by simple LCR meter. Pulled the inverter transformer and got 1.115k for both S1-2 and S3-4 but P2 is shorted to P3 (zero ohms) and should be closer to 0.2-1.0 I believe. I think the Samsung 2243 uses the same transformer and will order one. Have new Nichicons coming from mouser too.

Re: another Samsung 2233

Originally posted by tedmich View Post
    board is different than most I have seen.
    https://docs.google.com/open?id=0Bx4...E1OTZhZTBmYzVh
    We prefer pics hosted here so they are available for others in the future. Please use the manage attachment feature to upload and please do not post inline.

Pulled the inverter transformer and got 1.115k for both S1-2 and S3-4 but P2 is shorted to P3 (zero ohms) and should be closer to 0.2-1.0 I believe.
    We rarely see the primary side fail. It is mostly the secondaries that fail.

When you touch your multimeter probes together, do you get 0.0 ohms?
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I may not have the resolution to measure 0.2ohms, my cheap DMM doesn't have a zero knob or calibrated leads but the primaries read identically (0.4 ohms) P2/P2, P3/P3 and P2/P3 so it looks like continuity to me. If shorted primaries are unheard of, secondaries which seem to be ok by R measurement are more common right? I plan to replace transformer regardless, and caps too. Bad CCFL is always a possibility too, unless I test with good inverter.

thanks for the tip on image hosting, I know of no other site which does this

this is Samsung P# BN44-00296A
      Last edited by tedmich; 12-14-2011, 01:05 PM.

Comment

If you still have a problem after replacing the caps, report the DC voltages on the 12 pin connector to see if we have stable power.
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

replaced all the (low voltage EL) SAMYOUNG caps, only $13 from Norvac, but not my favorite brands, which I was ready to order from Mouser for $3.

IT LIVES! THANKS ALL!

Comment

Originally posted by tedmich View Post
            IT LIVES!
            Good job. Glad you got it working.
            --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

postscript, I need a decent DMM which can measure low R values!

0.2 ohms does not equal 0 ohms!!

this can help:
              http://www.keithley.com/data?asset=53682

think I'll make a 100mA CCS with an LT3092 and a couple precision resistors 2k/20k and a 9v battery
              Last edited by tedmich; 12-15-2011, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X