MS-6168 Bad CHHSI Caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS-6168 Bad CHHSI Caps

After years of operation, the old MS-6168 MoBo died in a backup Linux server, resetting randomly then completely failing to restart when powered up. Troubleshooting shows that the ATX power supply would power up for 1 second, then shuts down because of overload. Inspection shows that the caps [2,700 micF 6.3V 40degC] close to the ATX/CPU connectors are oozing and shorted: see enclosed pic. Other [1,000 micF 6.3V 40degC] caps located between to the PCI-slots and to the DMM slots have the same issues. All caps are branded "CHHSI". Hope this helps.
    Attached Files

Re: MS-6168 Bad CHHSI Caps

Swap out the caps for some new low ESR units and it should work.

What chipset is that? I've never seen a slot 1 board with a fan on its heatsink and what looks to be like SGRAM onboard.

EDIT: WOAH! OK, so that's not the Northbridge I'm looking at....that's an onboard 3dfx Banshee!
    Last edited by hardwareguy; 04-02-2009, 04:07 PM.

Comment

MICRO ATX ZX14 with an Intel 82443ZX AGP chipset

The MoBo is also called MS-6168 MICRO ATX ZX14 with an Intel 82443ZX AGP chipset. It has an on-board 3Dfx Voodoo 3: AGP 2x with 16MB SGRAM up to 143MHz. It is aging, but I did repair it with new caps as I worked a lot in the past to make the Unix server (using the MS-6168) almost silent and green, thanks to fanless Slot1/PS and Wake-on-LAN.

Comment

That would be a PackardBell thingy then. Replaced the 2700uF's with 2200uF (no 2700uF's in stock) and the 1000uF's with 1000uF, no issues, board runs normal and stable.
        failure is not an option. it is a chance to success.

Comment

i know its an old issue but i need to know capacitor EC05 `s vallue. uF and the Volt. i think its 1500 uF and 10 Volt but i dont know it for sure. and i want to fix this.

Comment

Working...
          X