Bought me an emachines this afternoon.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bought me an emachines this afternoon.

Was at the scrapyard yesterday when I spied an emachines el1850g-42w apparently intact and complete with Worst Buy return stickers on it. Picked it up for $30... don't think I got hurt too bad.

Now normally emachines aren't exactly known for using quality components, and true the motherboard is filled with KZG's and GSC caps, but the PSU bout blowed my mind... a freaking 80+ bronze certified Delta!

Will tear into it later.

Re: Bought me an emachines this afternoon.

Some emachnes are good... I remember one where it had an intel made mobo... the only issue was a burnt up Bestec 250-12E.
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

I'm probably too late to respond, but I had a burnt up Bestec 12E. The primary side was all charred! You may have seen my post in PSBQP regarding it. It was the first time I saw the primaries get fried. Also had a Intel D845GVSR mobo from an emachine T2862, probably got the same thing happened (I don't know because it didn't have a PSU in it).

Worst Buy- nice! Pair it up with the Dork Squad or Dork Fraud
      Last edited by ncovert; 06-04-2012, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Actually it was a Bestec 12E that got me started on my journey to learning about electronics repair so in a way I'm kinda bittersweet about them... but not to the point where I feel they are worth fixing. Now the 12Z's can be done pretty easy, provided you get a new SB560 diode with full length leads and do some creative bending to get the body of the diode away from C36, but that is a whole nother ball of wax.

Comment

Working...
        X