• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Westinghouse LD-4655VX - My First LED

Originally posted by kevinm34232 View Post
    Here's ribbon I used:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AWM-20798-WF...#ht_1109wt_920

I had other problems, the locking tab in the lower left corner where the ribbon attached to the LED's broke, and I had to rig it so it would stay put.

Also the original cable routed inside the panel and then back out the bottom. I chose to go directly from the main board to the corner on the backside.. Don't think it would have been long enough the other way..
    Thanks for the link. My lock is a bit flimsy too but it seems to be holding for now. Since my last post I got the cable working by doing my best to repair it. Pulled back the cover, got all the wires lined up again and used some spare electrical tape to hold its position. I tested it and all lights came on and then about 4 in the corner went out. If i touched the cable, the rest of the half went out too.
    So I took the plastic panel that sits atop it (the thin one with the several screws and the one the clamps hold it down) and used some pliers to break off any plastic that would make contact with the cable (sorry no pics this time). I also did not screw in anything in that section too tight. It's working now with just a very small dim spot, barely noticeable, in the bottom right corner.
    Success for now. Let's hope it holds.

Comment

So far so good. I wish I could have gotten it to where all were on but a dim corner the size of an ipod is much better than half the screen. Happy to be able to watch TV in the day light now.

Comment

I have the same issue with my ribbon cable. I have never repaired a tv just a couple computers in my day. Excuse the stupid question but my cable says AWM 20706 and someone suggested this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AWM-20798-WF...#ht_1109wt_920

I assume the AWM numbers do not matter? I too messaged a couple ebay users selling parts to the LD-4655VX and found one who had already sold the cables and said I was the third person this month to ask about them. Before I drop another $20 into this tv I want to make sure that cable will do the trick. I already bought a replacement main board thinking that was my problem when it is in fact this stupid cable.

Comment

Yes that ribbon will work. Did you disco one ribbon at a time at the main board to make sure the TV comes on normally and figure out which one it is??

Im surprised to hear all these issues, the TV I got was obviously dropped on the corner and the ribbon was smashed there. Did anything happen to your TV or did it just fail??

Comment

Yes I disconnected one at a time. TV comes on with left ribbon disconnected. Nothing happened to my tv it just failed. It was turning itself off randomly and wouldnt come on for hours. Finally it just stopped coming back on. After some research, I thought maybe the board had bad caps so I bought a new board (never soldered and didnt want to mess with trying to figure out which one). $80 mistake. Then after finding this thread, I noticed my cable was burnt and had plastic melted off. Sounds like this will do the trick. Thanks a lot

Comment

Are you planning on routing it the same as the original? Im not sure if its long enough, I didn't feel like completely disassembling the panel.

Comment

I had planned on it. How does it need to be ran?

Comment

I ran it directly from main board down to corner on backside, not through the slot. That was the longest ribbon I could find and it barely reached that way.. You have to pull off the black plastic edging that holds the panel in to get to the other connector. You'll see what I mean.. sorry I didn't take photos, I was winging it and did what I had to do..

Comment

Ok Im with you. I have already taken the old ribbon out so the black edging in already off. I just hope it goes back together like it should. I took it all apart without taking pictures as I went. Probably a rookie mistake but I did put the screws in seperate bags as I got to different layers of the tv so that should help. I emailed Westinghouse to see if they offer replacement parts but Im not holding my breath.

Comment

I grabbed this tv from someone that was going to recycle it and sure enough got it working by removing one of the ribbons. It now powers up and works great other than the one side being a little dark.

Are the ebay listings above the only options for ribbon replacements?

Major props to all as I found this site when researching the issue. Thank you! It doesn't compare to my panny Plasma but it will work great in my garage!

Comment

I'm trying like a madman to get this exact model to work. One morning it decided it wouldn't turn on after working perfectly the night before. There are no bulging capacitors or obviously burned/scorched components. I disconnected one ribbon and then the other and it would not turn on either time. I am running out of patience with this thing. Suggestions?

I'm only disconnecting the ribbon at the board-end. It seems to go *into* the television where I can't access it (as many screws as I removed I still couldnt get to the other side).
                        Last edited by asdfasdfasdf; 01-27-2013, 04:37 PM.

Comment

If disconnecting the ribbons doesnt work perhaps it's the external power supply, do you get any power lights or indication it's getting power? Mine didn't come with the power supply and I had to buy it on ebay for around $15-$20 if I remember correctly. Check for voltage on the power supply cord first. I think it was 19v.

Comment

kevin, there is no life to this television. The remote wont do anything. I tried the tv power button. I tried the factory reset technique. I tried different outlets. No buzzing, no smoke, no smell. No visible defects in the board. No bulges. No burns.

At this point im thinking it could be the power adapter that goes to the wall, but I don't have another 19v adapter to test it with.

not a fun way to spend a sunday tbh.

Comment

Do you have a multimeter to test the voltage on it?

Comment

well what do you know the left ribbon removal trick did the job...but I think I was a bit too rough with the tv when I was moving it around...

http://i.imgur.com/qLLVUQT.jpg

I know I'm stretching it by farrrrrrr... but is there a possible fix for those lines on the right side?

Comment

Nope, you cracked the panel, it's ruined.
                                  Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                                  For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

well.. today is a very dark day for me...

Comment

You can probably sell the parts inside it.
                                      Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                                      For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

where could I sell the parts? ebay?

All I could think that would sell is the board itself... maybe a few cables?

Comment

Yeah, on eBay.

This TV only has one main board and it's in very short supply -- you should be able to get $50 for it.

Comment

Working...
                                          X