Done with Win7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Done with Win7

Ok I got tired of all the BS Win7 has going on with it. Connected up my other HD and fixed my Xp install. Had a misplaced dll file going on. I didn't really have to do anything other than uninstall the progie that caused the misplaced dll in the first place. The progie that caused the problem was one of those progies that make Xp look like and act like Win7...Well sort of like Win7.
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
    Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
    John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
    Rod Serling

Re: Done with Win7

That's what MicroShaft and Intel and AMD and all the other clowns don't get.

When you advance to a certain point more advancing becomes pointless because most people just don't need or want any more.

It's like cars.
    They started out slow and got faster and faster and faster until some time in the 50's or 60's they were fast enough and most people wouldn't pay the cost for more fast because they simply didn't need more fast.

I think MS and all the rest are going to hit a brick wall eventually if they don't change course.
    Mann-Made Global Warming.
    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
    -
    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
    -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
      That's what MicroShaft and Intel and AMD and all the other clowns don't get.

When you advance to a certain point more advancing becomes pointless because most people just don't need or want any more.

It's like cars.
      They started out slow and got faster and faster and faster until some time in the 50's or 60's they were fast enough and most people wouldn't pay the cost for more fast because they simply didn't need more fast.

I think MS and all the rest are going to hit a brick wall eventually if they don't change course.
      PENGUIN POWER!

(all caps protection)
      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Well M$ ropes gamers into upgrading by a majority of newer games being Directx 11 compliant only. You guessed it DX11 only works with Windows 7.

Not to mention if you have a 64 bit processor good luck finding XP 64 bit you'll have to stay with 32 bit and be strapped to the 3 gig memory limit. Again for gaming 4 gig is the minimum nowadays.

Win 7 is a huge leap from XP practically installs itself along with your drivers with a minimal of user input.

Hey if you're willing to go through all the bs involved in XP installation. Like installing service packs, locating all of your device drivers, and then waiting forever for all the updates to download all to you.

My real peeve with XP was before I slip streamed my XP CD to SP3 I had to partition my drive to 120GB (the max limit) then use Partition Commander later after installing SP3 to resize the partition and get my full drive back.

Windows XP is showing it's age. For general use like surfing and word processing for example it's fine and Win 7 would be overkill.

I highly doubt M$ will ever hit a brick wall they will always find ways to make new programs eventually not run on the older OSs forcing upgrades.
        Last edited by Krankshaft; 08-16-2010, 05:05 AM.
        Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

So far as my own stuff we've only ever had one XP pc and I gave it to the wife.
          Everything else is Linux or Win2k.
          I don't need anything else.

-
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
          -
          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
          -

Comment

PCBONEZ has made the perfect point for Xp, Win2k, and Linux. Its all that is needed for general PC people like me. I don't need and OS that can do it all and baby sit me too. On most days I know what not to do to my OS. As far as installing Xp its no big deal to me. Got everything I need on three or four disks. All I do with this thing is surf the web, burn DVDs and thats about it. I don't need a Blown Nitro 426 Hemi to do these sort of things with. My little stock 340 wedge works just fine.
            "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
            Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
            John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
            Rod Serling

Comment

I run Win7 on every system I use.... I've had no issues... *shrug*
              Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

The Jones' must be so impressed!

-

- Dr Seuss
                -
                -

Comment

Ahh yes, Windows 2000
                  I'm afraid there will never be such a nice OS as it released again
                  Sadly many apps are refusing to install on it, however there is one nice samaritan taking care of that

http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic85224.html
                  http://www.techspot.com/blog/95/run-...-windows-2000/
                  "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                    Ahh yes, Windows 2000
                    I'm afraid there will never be such a nice OS as it released again.
                    You mean because it's the last OS that installs without activation ?
                    Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

On the new system builds I do for people that "have to have Windows," Windows 7 actually seems to work pretty good. I just got done installing it on a Intel D510 Atom board, with a 500GB WD Black HD, and 4GB ram. It actually seems to run quite well on there.

For new system builds, it works ok. I don't see any reason to upgrade anyone from XP though.

I, personally, am using Linux on all my systems, and I'm pushing customers in that direction if their needs allow it.

To each their own I guess.
                      Last edited by acstech; 08-16-2010, 09:36 AM. Reason: spelling
                      A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.

Comment

Originally posted by Krankshaft View Post
                        You mean because it's the last OS that installs without activation ?
                        I mean because it's the last O/S where I don't have to change one billion settings to get it usable;

Classic theme by default (well, it is the only theme and I love it)

No stupid dog in search thing, what are there, like 7 different settings you have to change in XP before you can actually search for stuff? (In Vista and Win7 it's even impossible to fix it!)

"My Network Places" does not have a myraid of brain dead, and impossible to navigate settings
                        In Windows 2000 it is actually built up like a tree, and it works, in Vista and Win7 they managed to yet again make it worse, want to change an IP? good fucking luck!

There are actually icons on the desktop by default, not just a retarded recycle bin folder sitting at the bottom right corner, which in itself is totally retarded because at install time there will be no drivers for the VGA card, so it will be positioned at ca 800x600, then when you install the drivers it sits somewhere in the middle of the screen, like WTF?
                        Sure it's just nitpicking but it looks so unprofessional to me, not at all well thought out!

The quick launch bar, it is actually enabled by default

You can use dualview mode, turn off one monitor and it does not decide to just deactivate the DVI output and never turn it on again, because it has none of that retarded shit; http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=256095

The ONLY bad thing about it is that there is no 64bit version.
                        Wait, scratch that, there actually is, but the retards released it for Itanium, of all obscure platforms possible, I mean come on MS, you scrapped the Alpha processor support for the Gold release but then go make a Itanium version, which you make EOL in a few years simply because you realize there where like 2 customers that wanted it, and both where Intel?
                        "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Ahh yes, Windows 2000
                          Truth. Win2k was the best OS MS ever came out with. Not intrusive, stable, and secure if you knew what you were doing. It was the last unbloated OS they made, it would run fine on a P2 300MHz with 256mb of RAM in it....look at the minimums for 7.....

I was done with win7 at the RTM. I'll switch to OSX before win7, I will never use it or vista. I still run XP x64 on all my systems (I've gotta have 64-bit, my system has 24gb ram in it), and OSX on a few macs.

Microsoft can stick its intrusiveness, its phoning home, and DX11 up their asses.
                          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                          Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                          http://folding.stanford.edu/
                          Team : 49813
                          Join in!!
                          Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                            Truth. Win2k was the best OS MS ever came out with. Not intrusive, stable, and secure if you knew what you were doing. It was the last unbloated OS they made, it would run fine on a P2 300MHz with 256mb of RAM in it....look at the minimums for 7.....

I was done with win7 at the RTM. I'll switch to OSX before win7, I will never use it or vista. I still run XP x64 on all my systems (I've gotta have 64-bit, my system has 24gb ram in it), and OSX on a few macs.

Microsoft can stick its intrusiveness, its phoning home, and DX11 up their asses.
                            iirc you were playing with fedora?
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                              iirc you were playing with fedora?
                              Yes. Fedora and Debian are on all the servers.
                              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                              Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                              http://folding.stanford.edu/
                              Team : 49813
                              Join in!!
                              Team Stats

Comment

which do you prefer?
                                sigpic

Comment

Microsoft lost lots of business when they made an operating system that worked like Win2K and XP. Businesses are not putting forth the money into licensing each computer for Win7 - not to mention the training of it's employees to use it. Useless spending in a bad economy is unwanted.

I applaud those that keep encouraging microsoft to keep building new buildings and making more operating systems. Aren't they up to one per year yet???

Windows 95
                                  Windows NT
                                  Windows 98
                                  Widnows ME - JOKE - Companies would not support!
                                  Windows 2000
                                  Windows XP Home/Pro
                                  Windows Vista - JOKE - Boycotted by most!
                                  Windows 7

There were more versions of each one. They probably made 15 versions within the 15 years.
                                  Stick with what works. Stop giving the rich people your money!
                                  The strong-minded rise to the challenge of their goals,the weak-minded BECOME HATERS

Comment

Originally posted by Dgtech View Post
                                    Microsoft lost lots of business when they made an operating system that worked like Win2K and XP. Businesses are not putting forth the money into licensing each computer for Win7 - not to mention the training of it's employees to use it. Useless spending in a bad economy is unwanted.
                                    That's what I mean.
                                    File clerks, basic office people, receptionists, inventory, shipping dept, accounting, payroll, etc...
                                    [That's want most of the PC's in a typical business are for.]
                                    Those functions don't need much of an OS to get the job done.
                                    You simply don't need 64-bit or an OS like W7 to keep track of phone calls, send emails, and schedule appointments.
                                    Businesses are starting to realize that.

MS's answer is to force obsolescence via a sundry of underhanded sneaky bullshit.
                                    - That includes political manipulation of other companies.

W7 requiring 'approved' drivers has them all set up to 'obsolete' W7 anytime they want.
                                    When the time comes all they have to do is not approve W7 drivers for the newer chips on newer parts.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                    -
                                    -

Comment

Ahh yes, Windows 2000
                                      Sadly many apps are refusing to install on it, however there is one nice samaritan taking care of that

http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic85224.html
                                      http://www.techspot.com/blog/95/run-...-windows-2000/
                                      I don't game but that looks like valuable info for those that do.
                                      'Modding W2k' - The topic is possibly deserving of it's own web page.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                      -
                                      -

Comment

Originally posted by Dgtech View Post

I applaud those that keep encouraging microsoft to keep building new buildings and making more operating systems. Aren't they up to one per year yet???
                                        Windows 2.0
                                        Windows 3.0
                                        Windows 3.1
                                        Windows 3.11 for workgroups
                                        Windows 95
                                        Windows NT
                                        Windows 98
                                        Windows 98 second edition
                                        Widnows ME - JOKE - Companies would not support!
                                        Windows 2000
                                        Windows XP Home/Pro
                                        Windows Vista - JOKE - Boycotted by most!
                                        Windows 7

There were more versions of each one. They probably made 15 versions within the 15 years.
                                        Stick with what works. Stop giving the rich people your money!
                                        fixed your post!

Comment

Working...
                                        X