Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad PSU?

Hello

A few days ago ,while I was browsing stuff inside a computer shop I found an Connect3D ATI Radeon 4890 ,for a very low price.After taking it home I realised my 410W PSU [intel Celeron 3200,4gb ram,ati 4670] is not enough for this card.

So the next day I went back to shop for a more powerful but relatively cheap PSU so I ended buying the L&C LC-8600BTX PSU 600W .When I carefully installed this PSU ,the system failed to start the OS ,and I mean any operating system.System passed POST tests,then, after a few seconds when attempting to boot OS ,beeps and resets.That's the case with any medium including EIDE,SATA ,cdrom or hard disk ,and,KNOPPIX Linux booting USB stick.
    Prior sending motherboard for service,I was able to enter bios and check all the data in "health" screen.All voltages presented to be in the supposed range ,with only slight margins.vhhq and vddc [sorry i m guessing here cant rememebr the exact names],appeared to be completely stable.
    For now the motherboard is in service ,hopefully they help ,its still under warranty and only 7 months old.

Here are the printed label of PSU specifications

+3.3V 24A
    +5V 30A
    +12V1 22A
    +12V2 22A
    -12V 0.5A
    +5vsb 2A

Anyone knows/using this PSU ?Is this PSU sufficient ? [I think so but tell me what u think please]
    And also ,could the PSU damage my motherboard?
    Many thanks for reading it

Re: Bad PSU?

Hmm. The solytech sl-8600EPS is a good power supply, but the BTX series, I don't know. The BTX series is a old series, but their newer versions of it (past about 2008-ish) have some goodies like OCP, and a 5vsb generated with a IC. I had a rosewill stallion series 500W that was a 8500BTX that had OCP, etc... that would have actually done it's labeled wattage.

Try putting the old card in with that power supply and see if it does anything, if it still persists try the old power supply.

Comment

Originally posted by sonicapogee View Post

after a few seconds when attempting to boot OS ,beeps and resets.
      That usually only occurs with Windows and when unstable. The rebooting (with Windows) is usually because Windows gave a bugcheck and Windows 2000 and later reboot itself by default instead of keeping error message on screen.

When the NT kernel panics, that's what occurs.

But that's strange that also occurs with other OSes! O_O Your PC REALLY seems possessed!
      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by 370forlife View Post
        Hmm. The solytech sl-8600EPS is a good power supply, but the BTX series, I don't know.
        But that's Solytech. What about L&C? The ones I've seen are total crap, even when compared to their Deer, Allied, and Solytech counterparts.

Originally posted by 370forlife View Post
        Try putting the old card in with that power supply and see if it does anything, if it still persists try the old power supply.
        I agree.
        Speaking of which, what is the brand and model of the old power supply? It may be a 410 watt only, but if it's a trusted brand, you might be better off using that than the L&C.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
          But that's Solytech. What about L&C? The ones I've seen are total crap, even when compared to their Deer, Allied, and Solytech counterparts.
          Solytech is the actual manufacturer.
          They make a lot of the cheap low end PSU's including L&C, Rosewill, Deer, Apex, Allied, Supercase, MSI and probably some others.
          [That's not to say they make all models of those brands, just some.]

Sometimes they manage to hold together, other times not.

Very doubtful the watts marked on the outside is realistic.

Mann-Made Global Warming.
          - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
          -
          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
          -

Comment

They make also Premier and Force psus.

Comment

Yeah. - I can't remember them all.
              They are a big time OEM supplier like Channel Well Technology.
              Mann-Made Global Warming.
              - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
              -
              You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
              -

Comment

Well a powerful and cheap 600w PSU does not exist
                Your computer will not need more than 250w DC tops I'd say

That does not mean you can buy any PSU, because they lie as much as they can when selling these things, the labels are just printed to say whatever the OEM wants! (At this pricerange)

And now someone will come in and tell me no no, L&C wised up, the new Solytech builds are actually nice
                To that I say, wonder what sticker they decided to use this time for this PSU
                Just because they by mistake managed to build a few decent powersupplies does not mean the bean counters didn't wise up and relize all those components on the input filter could be removed, and who needs Pi Filters, when there exists much cheaper steel wire!

Sure I may be exaggragating but my point is there is only one way to find out, viod the warranty by opening the thing up and posting good pics of it for us to ID...
                But the fact that you say the old PSU made the system run and with this new one it does not even manage to start Windows should tell you something about it's quality
                "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                  Well a powerful and cheap 600w PSU does not exist
                  Your computer will not need more than 250w DC tops I'd say

That does not mean you can buy any PSU, because they lie as much as they can when selling these things, the labels are just printed to say whatever the OEM wants! (At this pricerange)

And now someone will come in and tell me no no, L&C wised up, the new Solytech builds are actually nice
                  To that I say, wonder what sticker they decided to use this time for this PSU
                  Just because they by mistake managed to build a few decent powersupplies does not mean the bean counters didn't wise up and relize all those components on the input filter could be removed, and who needs Pi Filters, when there exists much cheaper steel wire!

Sure I may be exaggragating but my point is there is only one way to find out, viod the warranty by opening the thing up and posting good pics of it for us to ID...
                  But the fact that you say the old PSU made the system run and with this new one it does not even manage to start Windows should tell you something about it's quality
                  http://www.clubedohardware.com.br/artigos/1673

--> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817325002

And they are identical (it's a carbon copy of the ATNG ATX v1.3 series). Traded it for a Ultra LSP650 (so I technically profited on that venture) but even that Ultra is a pretty nice RSY build.

But anyways, back to the psu in question. From the pictures I have seen it has PPFC and some nice looking heatsinks with a globe fan. Thats about all I can find about it.

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
                    Solytech is the actual manufacturer.
                    They make a lot of the cheap low end PSU's including L&C, Rosewill, Deer, Apex, Allied, Supercase, MSI and probably some others.
                    [That's not to say they make all models of those brands, just some.]

Sometimes they manage to hold together, other times not.
                    Right. What I meant to say is that among all the PSUs that Solytech makes, L&C is their lowest quality line. I've seen L&C PSUs with identical PCB design to Deer and Allied, yet in almost all cases both the Deer and Allied units had much more and much better components, whereas L&C would just have the bare minimum to function.
                    Of course I should probably also mention that the L&Cs I got were either no-box specials or included with the computer case. Deer and Allied units that come with the case are also of inferior quality sometimes (I still think they're better than L&C though).

Comment

370forlife; as I said I don't trust these lowend PSU manufacturers, I know there exists some ok PSU's from these manufacturers
                      But they may just on a whim decide to change the components aswell

Hell even the LCD manufacturers do it with their "panel lottery"
                      That is make a LCD with a good panel, sell it for a while so it gets a good rep, then change the panel without making any mention of it to a lower end panel
                      "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Working...
                      X