Westinghouse LD-4655VX - My First LED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Westinghouse LD-4655VX - My First LED

Really?? I could not believe one little board sitting in the middle of this big panel, LOL.

TV was dead, looks like may have been dropped. Uses external 19v power supply. When plugged into main board the voltage was dropping out indicating a short. I disconnected the 2 ribbon cables going to what Im assuming the LED lights. TV powered on. I then plugged in one at a time and the problem is the left side of screen. So TV works normally except a little dark on left side.

The ribbon disappears through a slot in the chassis. Can the LED's be replaced?? I haven't opened it up beyond the pics..
    Attached Files

Re: Westinghouse LD-4655VX - My First LED

Also it looks like there is a slightly bulged capacitor on the board too.

I don't know if the LEDs can be replaced, these TVs are fairly new, so there is probably not too many parts out there.
    Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Found`the problem, in the lower left hand corner of the panel is the other end of the ribbon cable, it was smashed into the metal frame and the ribbon leads are all messed up and touching each other. Must have been the spot where it landed, can't believe the panel is not broken.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by kevinm34232 View Post
        Found`the problem, in the lower left hand corner of the panel is the other end of the ribbon cable, it was smashed into the metal frame and the ribbon leads are all messed up and touching each other. Must have been the spot where it landed, can't believe the panel is not broken.
        Wow, you lucky duck!

Hopefully, the ribbon will be easy to find!

Good luck!
        Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Anyone know where Id find a ribbon cable?? I can probably run it around the bottom and right up to the main board..

#'s on the cable are CFMG E316031 AWM 20706 60V 105C
          Last edited by kevinm34232; 10-01-2012, 04:13 PM.

Comment

google AWM 20706 gives quite a few results.. maybe digikey has some of those flex's ?

how many pins, lenght ?

Comment

? Was hoping #'s would give that info, was just looking at some ribbon repair pictures.. It's not that many pins I could probably seperate the wires and tape them all in place. I'd hate to just end up selling the 1 board for this problem.

BTW this was the easiest TV I've had to troubleshoot.
              Last edited by kevinm34232; 10-01-2012, 07:15 PM.

Comment

is there any slack on that cable? How many pins is it?

Comment

There is some slack if I reroute it. Looks like 12 pins.
                  Attached Files

Comment

you can trim the bad off and scrape the wire to expose new copper. Might not work if that cable is a press in style. Ebay has alot of these wires but all different lengths. If you can measure or guesstimate the length you can go that route.

Comment

junk laptops and other electronics have ribbons like that, pin count and minimal length is all you need to worry about if its longer it will still work i have borrowed ribbons from laptops to fix monitors before....12 pins should not be to hard to find.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Bill View Post
                        you can trim the bad off and scrape the wire to expose new copper. Might not work if that cable is a press in style. Ebay has alot of these wires but all different lengths. If you can measure or guesstimate the length you can go that route.
                        Mr Bill, can you elaborate? The 'bad' part is right by where it inserts into the connector at the LED connector at the panel. It seems like I'd need either a new cable or using the original cable to insert into connector and splice/seperate in wire. Both 'ends' are good.

Sorry for the bad pics my phone decides when to take clear pics or not.

Comment

do you want to elaborate on the scraping the old cable after you cut the messed up part?

Comment

I was mistaken the LED side connector is pretty mangled, I will need a new cable. Amazingly the picture is really good with just the right side working it just fades a little dark towards the left.
                            Attached Files

Comment

do you want to elaborate on the scraping the old cable after you cut the messed up part?
                              I was just asking what you meant to do I got the idea now...

Comment

Can you line up the cable next to the metric ruler so I can see the dimension and the conductor spacing?
                                Never stop learning
                                Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                                http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

good idea !!!!

i've done that before. you can use a sanding paper or a dremel on low speed but i've found sanding paper to be less destructive. tape the flat cable but leave about the lenght you need for the contact uncovered, and sand it using 180 or something, untill you properly expose the copper. then to be able to give the cable proper pressure when its in the connector, you can use the original blue plastic part you had on the connector.. rip it off and place it on the top of the cable.

usually does the job did it a few times.. that's if you have enough lenght left after the cable mess !!!

Comment

if what i see is what i see, the cable is messed just at the connector so it's long enough, you can really use that cable. 10 minutes job !!!

Comment

There is not enough slack to cut the cable back far enough unfortunately, here a few pics sorry I cannot get the lighting better...

Are the #'s on the ribbon relevant to the # of leads and spacing??
                                      Attached Files
                                      Last edited by kevinm34232; 10-02-2012, 07:47 PM.

Comment

It looks like this is the cable I need, it's 12 pins and measures 7mm wide like mine.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_1114wt_934

However, it's not long enough. Wondering if there's a simple female to female connector that will connect them both together??
                                        I need a 2-3' cable, 70-80cm or anything close..

Comment

Working...
                                        X