Samsung LN32A550 P3F

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung LN32A550 P3F

I just picked up this LCD TV and the symptoms are as follows.

-Press power button
    -sound comes on
    -TV back light comes on for about a second or two
    -TV goes black, power indicator is dark
    -but! I press the power button once more, and plays the shutting down sound and red standby light comes on.

I did a quick scan of the power board and inverter board for bad caps but didn't find any that looked physically bad.

I was told that It could either be a bad inverter board, or a bad main board.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'll post pictures of the boards tomorrow.
    Thanks.

Re: Samsung LN32A550 P3F

Samsung has the odd behavior of lighting the LED in standby and turning it off while running. So, it appears the TV is turning on and off normally, but the backlight is disappearing - this is known as "two seconds to black".

Causes include:
    - bad caps
    - bad transformers (likely)
    - bad CCFLs

I highlighted bad transformers as Samsung TVs of this generation used a +24V supply and Darfon inverters (I think) which often fail. It is repairable by replacing the transformer.
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Alright cool, how do I go about testing the transformer? I saw that you check in ohms, but when I tried that, I did not get any readings.

I'll post a picture of the inverter board when I get home today.

Comment

Originally posted by Kokonut09 View Post
        Alright cool, how do I go about testing the transformer? I saw that you check in ohms, but when I tried that, I did not get any readings.

I'll post a picture of the inverter board when I get home today.
        With a picture, we can suggest where to test... it's different for every transformer. Most will measure the same. Bad ones will measure values off by more than 3% either way.
        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Here we go, I hope these pictures turned out alright, I added pictures of the power board, not sure why, just in case?
          Attached Files

Comment

Test between these pairs of red marks.

All should measure the same or nearly the same.

Use the 20000 ohm (20k ohm) range.
            Attached Files

Comment

First transformer
              1848/1826

Second
              1851/1883

Third
              1846/1826

Fourth
              1823/1802

Comment

The average resistance is 1838 ohms and the allowable deviation is 55 ohms either way, so I think your transformers are okay.

Next step, are there any fuses on the inverter board?

Comment

Yes, there is 1 fuse on the bottom left in the picture you pointed on the transformers on. 125V/8A

Comment

I checked the fuses on the inverted board and power board and they checked out fine. I unplugged the inverted board and its showing the same symptoms.( minus the fact that the back lights don't come on) do you think that I should just go ahead and replace the inverted board?

Comment

Something else that i noticed. The blue glow on the tv when sitting idle turns off when the TV turns "on" and when I turn the TV off, the blue glow comes back.

Comment

...The screen glows when the TV is on?

Comment

When I press the power button the TV glows for 2 seconds then goes black. What I was referring to was the little blue light Accent that's under the Samsung logo. I apologies for the miscommunication.

Comment

Samsung's service site has these listed as a common failure. They dry up meaning they may not look physically bad or bubbled up.

Symptom:**The*TV*takes*longer*to*power*on*than*normal.**You*may*hear*several*clicks*while*the*TV*attempts*to*power*on.
                            Cause:*The*electrolytic*in*the*capacitors*on*the*power*supply*board*over*time*will*dry*out*causing*the*power*supply*to*shut*down*durig*its*initial*power*on*cycle.
                            Cure:*Refer*to*the*capacitor*cross*reference*guide*below*for*the*list*of*the*capacitors*that*should*be*replaced.
                            TV Model*
                            Side Label version*
                            Capacitor for Service*
                            Part Number
                            LN32A550P3F
                            SQ01, SS02, AA03
                            CB852
                            25V 1000uF
                            BN81-02020A
                            CM851,CM852
                            35V 1000uF
                            BN81-03142A
                            CM853,CM858
                            25V 1000uF
                            BN81-02020A
                            CM859
                            25V 470uF
                            BN81-03132A

I'm also seeing a firmware update and downloading it for you as well. You will have to pm me with an email address for me to send all 3 files. They are too large to upload here based on the site limits. There is a bulletin, a firmware update and power supply diagram.
                            Last edited by richpart; 05-13-2012, 07:38 AM.

Comment

The bulletin shows CM861 a blue 2200uf 10V as being the largest culprit here.

Comment

I replaced the Inverter board but nothing changed. Screen glows for a couple seconds and shuts off. I managed to push the source button to find my xbox, and there is still sound. I volume works as well.

richpart, I Dont see capacitor CM861 on my board.

Comment

Im gonna replace the caps and see what happens

Comment

So far I did not see any reports on the voltage readings from the power supply board.
                                    I see that the power supply board has PFC Voltage booster, what DC voltage do you get on the large 450VDC cap when the TV is OFF and when the TV is ON?
                                    do get steady 24VDC at the inverter board?
                                    Never stop learning
                                    Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                                    http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

I'll check when i get home tonight. But i am getting 23.87V or so on the inverter board

Comment

Not exactly sure how to test it. All i did was touch red multimeter line to the positive side and got a reading of 220V on and 6.8V when its off. And you were talking about this cap correct?

And the inverter board gets 24.48 V.

I appreciate all the help thus far.
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                        X