7300GS Loose Resistors - Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7300GS Loose Resistors - Help!

I have a 7300GS 256MB PCI-E video card here, made by E241819. other marking PE0734.

I tested it and instead of a display I get very distinct striped wallpaper patterns. Not a lot of artifact noise.

On examining the backside I detected two resistors that had come loose but somehow had not fallen off, but were clinging to the board near R571 and R570. There was evidence that the resistors had been attached to R571 & R570.

I have a 50-50 chance of resoldering them in the correct position (see photo).

They are marked 123 and 223 and I assume they related to the stencilled labels
    R571 and R570.

NOTE: The resistors are loose, I just put them just sitting on those solder pads. Don't know if this is the correct position.

Does anyone have a similar video card, and, if so, could you advise me of the correct placement of these resistors?

There does not seem to be heat damage, just they were not securely soldered and fell off.

Thanks for your help
    Attached Files
    Last edited by bigbeark; 01-16-2011, 02:22 PM.

Re: 7300GS Loose Resistors - Help!

I'm confused, first you said they hadn't fallen off, then you say that they fell off.

If they haven't fallen off and one side is still attached, or the glue is holding them on, just add some new solder.

Comment

No there was no resistor on 571 and on 570 there were 2 resistors one on top of the other. When I touched the top one, they both fell off. I wasn't smart enough to note which was on top. I didn't expect both of them to fall off when I touched them.

I don't know if they have the same resistance value. They are so tiny i dont think I could measure them with my multi-meter.

I just want to make sure I get them in the right place.

Comment

Right, I understand now.
        I have a 7300Gx, I'll check later.

Comment

Can you zoom out a ways so I can see what the whole card looks like and where these are on it?
          Thanks.
          Mann-Made Global Warming.
          - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
          -
          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
          -

Comment

I've had resistors fall of cards before with no ill effect.

A striped wallpaper is usually indicative of bad memory on the board. Whether that is caused by the resisters being out of place is another question

Comment

Originally posted by Spode View Post
              I've had resistors fall of cards before with no ill effect.
              Depends on where they are located. If they are used to drive a transistor (or for any other application like that), then they would be quite important. Yours apparently weren't.

As for the resistors on bigbeark's card:
              123 = 12 x 10 ^3 = 12000 Ohms
              223 = 22 x 10 ^3 = 22000 Ohms

Originally posted by bigbeark
              I have a 7300GS 256MB PCI-E video card here, made by E241819
              E241819 is the UL number of the PCB manufacturer. Doesn't really say much about who made the video card, though. Does your video card have a fan on it? Perhaps you might find some info there.
              Other than that, your best bet is an image search on Google until you find a video card that looks like yours. Once you do, note the manufacturer, then do some more image searching (perhaps even eBay would help) to see if you can find a picture of the area in question.

As a last resort, you can just solder the resistors one way. If card doesn't work properly, you switch them around.

Either way, get some liquid or paste flux - it really helps when it comes to soldering SMT stuff. Basically, you first clean the pads where the component goes, then add flux to both the component and the board. Finally, put some solder on the tip of the iron, hold component with one hand (preferably with tweezers or something like that), and touch one side of the component with the iron. The flux will automatically make the solder stick to both the component and the board.
              Last edited by momaka; 01-16-2011, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X