X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

analog loophole

Originally posted by NxB View Post
    http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/01/intel-cpu/

They're closing the "analog loophole". Your PC isn't yours anymore, its the studios'.

And anonymity will be a thing of the past with a unique ID broadcast to whoever asks for it.

deserving of its own thread... carry on folks!
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Re: analog loophole

Wow, the reasons not to buy Intel just keep on coming...
    "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
    -David VanHorn

Comment

^
      I concur on some degree. It will be hacked in no time, but the point still remains. What a waste of money and time....glad its their money, not mine!
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
      http://folding.stanford.edu/
      Team : 49813
      Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

I've always been an intel guy but this is worrisome.

Comment

DRM is the result of the dying dinosaur media industry who refuses to evolve with the times. DRM seems to give the old blue hairs in the media industry (who probably wouldn't know a micro chip from a potato chip) some pie in the sky idea that they will now have control of their content with this new technology. The illusion of control that can never be obtained a pretty good definition of DRM if you ask me .

It seems they intend to bleed themselves dry monetarily by wasting more money on this failing concept.

If this crap sticks onto future generations of processors I'm going AMD. Sure they'll be easy to use hacks but I won't support a company who makes me take such measures.
          Last edited by Krankshaft; 01-06-2011, 07:12 PM.
          Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

get this: i think this is comp. discussion thread #1700.

go AMD! hope they get bulldozer out soon...
            sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

I gave up on Intel since the i series went out, come on, THREE different sockets for what is essentially the same CPU with building block variations? I'm still running a Core 2 Duo as my main system but my two laptops are AMD, and next upgrade is going to be a Phenom X6.

This news is only making me more determined to switch to AMD. The Core 2 Duo was an awesome chip, but then intel had to get greedy, didn't they? The future as i see it is simple - AMD gains lots of market share, intel acknowledges this and fixes what they did wrong, and in the long run this can only mean cheaper CPUs for us. So even stupid mistakes have their place imo.

As far as DRM goes, not only could you simply patch it into your DVR like a guy commented on the original article, but the movie studios are forgetting once again that stopping the small pirate, ie the one that buys the disc and shares it with his friends, isn't going to get them anything. Movies will still be available for download from everywhere, and someone said that people don't bother getting blu-ray rips... wrong. Fast internet and huge hard drives are common nowadays.
              Last edited by Th3_uN1Qu3; 01-07-2011, 01:04 AM.
              Originally posted by PeteS in CA
              Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
              A working TV? How boring!

Comment

I always thought that was a bit of a joke how they bring out a new socket and chipset revision every 5 minutes...

While with AMD you get forward and backward compatibility with AM2\AM2+\AM3...
                "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                -David VanHorn

Comment

Right now i'd compare Intel to Ubuntu Linux (even if Ubuntu is free software, Canonical is still a company) - both are the most popular in their market segment, both have a too fast updating cycle, and in every new revision they add unnecessary features and most of the time they have to screw up something that used to work fine before.

And y'know, you can go in and patch Ubuntu... but you can't exactly patch a CPU.
                  Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.

Comment

With what intel charges, amd could have gone through like 5 socket revisions and still been cheaper.

Just hope AMD will catch up.

Comment

Just the industry at work one company will accel for awhile AMDs time will come again.
                      Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

!?!!

When I heard your comments, I blanked out...This is totally non sense.

The DRM is implemented on all types of chipset and CPU makers via software and hardware. Yet some are cracked.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

But not as of yet AMD.

Comment

It's still a hardware-based authentication system for a software client. Which means it can still be quite easily cracked. Why the content industry puts so much faith in such systems is simply nonsensical. Even on a more complex hardware level, Sony/Apple/etc still haven't been able to keep people from jailbreaking their mobile devices.

Comment

Originally posted by Trinite View Post
                              It's still a hardware-based authentication system for a software client. Which means it can still be quite easily cracked. Why the content industry puts so much faith in such systems is simply nonsensical.
                              Maybe this "faith" is just a marketing move.

Comment

Working...
                              X