Recommended STABLE Motherboard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommended STABLE Motherboard?

I've had a quick look around and haven't found an answer to my questions and as a seasoned forum admin and moderator myself I apologize if the answer does lie here somewhere.

Now my questions, can anyone recommend a motherboard that is of a good quality build, stable and not likely to have bad caps?

Also is there a particular brand out there that hasn't been affected by the bad cap phenomena - or any that were but have actively dealt with the problem effectively and won't leave me high and dry?

Re: Recommended STABLE Motherboard?

I guess anything that has solid state capacitors...

If lytics are in question, you would probably have to recap almost every board on earth to achieve what you desire here.
    Mobo: MSI K8N Master2-FAR CPU: 2x Opteron 265 OC'd @ 2,25GHz RAM: 2x2GB Crucial DDR400 CL3 ECC/Buff. (ECC OFF), VGA: ASUS HD6950 2GB Reference edition FLASHED TO HD6970 HDD: 80GB ATA133 Seagate ,OnBoard: 2xGLAN, 8-Ch. Realtek audio, USB2.0/Firewire, PCIe Physx card PSU: 850W Corsair AX Case: Cooler Master HAF932 + NZXT 5 Fan Controller.

Comment

Are you looking for something new, or something used?

If you're looking for new, Gigabyte's "Ultra Durable" boards seem to be very stable at stock speeds and settings.

For used, get out your soldering iron or look for something with solid caps.
      A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.

Comment

Ideally something new, I haven't had an upgrade in a few years.. I don't necessarily need something expensive - just a motherboard from a trusted source.

Comment

Avoid the Asus P7Pxx line of motherboards for socket 1156. They have that lousy VIA VT1708S audio chip. Make sure the motherboard you get is all solid capacitors, not just the VRM. Asus and other companies are sneaky and will sometimes give you Toshin Kogyo or United Chemicon KZG capacitors throughout the board.
          "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Anything Supermicro.

/thread
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
            Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
            http://folding.stanford.edu/
            Team : 49813
            Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
              Anything Supermicro.
              /thread
              Supermicro boards have a high failure rate. Just look at the Newegg closeups and see why. They are using KZG caps.
              "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

Think I'd probably go with the Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R.

Thanks for all the advice, esp. about solid caps.

Comment

Another thing. Have a look at these two socket types:

FOXCONN:

LOTES:

Now the socket type you want on your motherboard is the LOTES. The new socket 1155 Foxconn parts do not suffer from the 1156 or 1366 problems. The problem is that the small "pinch" on the Foxconn sockets where it's supposed to clamp down on the CPU does not apply even pressure.

People who have these types of sockets - their chips develop burn marks and it destroys both the socket (thus rendering the motherboard useless) and the chip.

I think Tyco sockets are also OK, but I'm not sure.

Comment

DFI is my prefferred brand. I think they use lotes sockets. I despise ASUS
                    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

The Gigabyte mobo mentioned above has the Lotes brand of socket you mention:

The image in this post doesn't seem to display - perhaps a permission issue -> http://www.links.co.jp/items/high_gax58ud3r_01.jpg

I was considering the ASUS Rampage - would that be a bad choice?
                      Last edited by EvilCensor; 01-04-2011, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Rampage has the VIA audio, stay away.

Gigabyte... Make sure you get what you see in the picture. Different revisions of the same board have been known to use different socket types. I don't like Gigabyte. My favourite is MSI. Probably not the best quality component-wise, but I always find their BIOS the most feature rich.

Comment

Anything Supermicro.
                          Yup!

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                          Supermicro boards have a high failure rate. Just look at the Newegg closeups and see why. They are using KZG caps.
                          My Supermicro C2SBA is 98% Sanyo's including poly's on the CPU and 3 Ruby MBZ's on VRM in.
                          veritas odium parit

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                            False. I have never seen one with KZG caps.....maybe the photo was that of a test board or engineering sample, manufacturers are known for that. Mine always had Sanyo WG's. My more recent ones are all polymer. I've been running SM boards for all my servers for over a decade, never had one fail. Some of which have been in 24/7/365 service for over 7 years. Can't say the same for MSI... SM boards are built for the high-end workstation and IT/server market, its not the cheap gamer shit for the kiddies. So what will you be attacking next?
                            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                            Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                            http://folding.stanford.edu/
                            Team : 49813
                            Join in!!
                            Team Stats

Comment

So what will you be attacking next?
                              Nissan...

Comment

False. I have never seen one with KZG caps.....maybe the photo was that of a test board or engineering sample, manufacturers are known for that. Mine always had Sanyo WG's. My more recent ones are all polymer. I've been running SM boards for all my servers for over a decade, never had one fail. Some of which have been in 24/7/365 service for over 7 years. Can't say the same for MSI... SM boards are built for the high-end workstation and IT/server market, its not the cheap gamer shit for the kiddies. So what will you be attacking next?
                                agreed... the one in my dad's desktop (PDSGE) is a mix of sanyo and poly. the only issue was a rather warm northbridge cooler, fixed by adding a fan to a dimension 2400 cooler and swapping (i now have a dell with a supermicro heatsink, LOL). otherwise it has been nice to me... had i not moved to non-netburst equipment i would still be rocking it personally.

i wonder who is next on mockingbird's hit list?
                                sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

I have always had good luck with Biostar. I am presently running the T Power 4 U with AMD64 socket 939. I don't know what they have for more current boards. Perhaps the mocker would like to mock Biostar.
                                  Old proverb say.........If you shoot at nothing, you will hit nothing (George Henry 10-14-11)

Comment

I've only seen a few Biostar boards in the past. All had Only Some Trash caps
                                    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Anything Supermicro.

/thread
                                      seconded. supermicros are the most stable AND they use solid state caps. at least anything past socket 478. they are probably some of the best boards in the business.

Comment

Originally posted by 370forlife View Post
                                        Nissan...
                                        probably....

Comment

Working...
                                        X