intel fan control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

intel fan control

this is boggling my mind... some experimenting has shown some oddities about my intel dp35dp:

- it has two different fan control circuits. out of 4 fan connections, two are 4 pin and pwm controlled, and two are 3 pin non pwm. but the non pwm is also controlled:
    - the non pwm circuit is a real kludge job. it has 2 settings- 5v and 12v. what makes it a kludge is that under normal booting temps it gets stuck between and the fans are constantly changing speeds at about a 1hz frequency... the fans don't seem to like it as they make a weird buzzing noise in addition to the speed change sound. very annoying.
    -my multimeter tells me it seem to be changing it by way of the ground since fan+ to ground (on a molex connector) is a constant 12v, but fan+ to fan- gets the 1hz 5 to 12v fluctuation.
    -I checked, it is not the psu putting out that much ripple.
    -they were also kind enough to not include any tachometer sence that lm sensors under linux can detect... all lm sensors can detect is the cpu's temp sensor.

sounds like to only way to get rid of the fan noise is to find a pwm 90mm fan for the back... the cpu cooler is already pwm.
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Re: intel fan control

I've found that too with a similar board. The fan constantly seemed to change speed. IIRC, there was some fan detection setting in the BIOS which fixed it.
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

my choice was constant change or full blast, which for the fan in there now, is bad.
      sigpic

Comment

You could build yourself one of these. That's what I use on my CPU cooler. Even lets you adjust the target temperature. Only catch is, the taco apparently doesn't work.

Fan RPM monitoring will NOT work with this temperature control. Don't try to connect the rpm signal wire to your motherboard. It will not work and might damage your motherboard.
        I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

the pwm does a fine job... i think i will get a pwm fan...
          sigpic

Comment

http://www.intel.com/support/motherb.../cs-012074.htm

Mann-Made Global Warming.
            - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
            -
            You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
            -

Comment

link #1:

I missed that when reading the manual... i will have to check the lm sensors site to see if my chipset is supported... odd that it did a no-show...

edit- not supported... not going to billy-bob gates to get the sensing...

link #2:

whats the point? putting a non pwm fan on the pwm connector gives it full blast (i tried it). not the goal. my point was that i have seen better non-pwm based fan controls... my asus a8n32-sli had no pwm and it was better than 2 speeds...

i will buy a pwm fan for the back then...
              Last edited by ratdude747; 12-31-2010, 09:28 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

The point for #2 is that's how [I think] you did it but the manual says that isn't what you have.
                On yours the 3-pin headers are controlled by [slaved to] whatever is on the 4-pin.
                Meaning ultimately the tachs on the 4-pin tells the 3-pin how fast to go.
                [The 3-pin don't have their -own- tach inputs to mobo fan controller.]
                - Or at least that's how I read it.
                Mann-Made Global Warming.
                - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                -
                You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                -

Comment

odd... the fan speed of the cpu fan is constant... what i forgot to mention is sometimes it would pulse from 12v to 5v, and sometimes it would stay on 5v but make the fan buzz in an uber-annoying fashion.

still sounds like the fix is a pwm back fan since the only fans connected are a back fan and a cpu fan... the board and case are not meant to OC... but with a nice cooler, my hope is for it to be pretty quiet:

the *new* goal of the computer is to have a solid platform that kinda looks like a mac and has some of the benefits of a mac but not a mac. once i get my new parts (including the fan) for the unit, it will have all the desired features:

- decent power (PDC for now, c2Q if i ever find one cheap)
                  - quiet
                  - good but not ricer looks
                  - good AV (built in HD audio, decent graphics, firewire, and has a tv tuner)
                  - expandable (has a max of 12 usb ports, 1 pcie 16x, 3 pcie 1x, 3 pci)
                  - solid quality
                  sigpic

Comment

What type of TV tuner are you looking for? HD or standard def? If you are not interested in HD, I have a standard def tuner laying around that you can have. PM me if interested.

Comment

already have one. it is an analog standard def pci tuner... i assume yours is analog as well.

what it still needs:

2 SATA optical drives
                      1 SATA hard drive
                      90mm pwm rear fan
                      more RAM
                      new front card reader

what I already have:

PDC cpu
                      intel dp35dp mainboard
                      1gb ddr2 667mhz (not much in 64 bit mode)
                      powermac g4 styled case
                      pwm cpu cooler
                      tv tuner
                      power supply
                      ls120 drive
                      sigpic

Comment

Yes you need more RAM, 2GB or 3GB should do you fine.
                        You could put OS X on that PC

Question: what do you want 2 optical drives for? I've never understood why people have 2, unless they copy CDs a lot.

Comment

You may have one that reads great but doesn't burn and one that burns but is so-so at reading. I used to run like that.
                          Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                          Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                          A working TV? How boring!

Comment

my case has 2 specifically optical bays (it has tray doors) and i need no ide opticals to use the ls120. leaving one open to me would be disappointing. not to mention two drives help with disc copying.

my goal is 2gb ram. no osx, i have an imac g5 for that. it will run fedora x64.
                            sigpic

Comment

Ah you need to fill a gap, well that's understandable.
                              I have a CD drive in my work PC, unplugged and non-functional, just to fill the gap up.

Fair enough about not wanting to put OS X on it, but if you ever do, it'll kick the pants off of the G5.

Comment

Originally posted by seanc View Post
                                Question: what do you want 2 optical drives for? I've never understood why people have 2, unless they copy CDs a lot.
                                Cuts down on the amount of disc swapping you have to do.

Comment

Originally posted by seanc View Post
                                  Ah you need to fill a gap, well that's understandable.
                                  I have a CD drive in my work PC, unplugged and non-functional, just to fill the gap up.

Fair enough about not wanting to put OS X on it, but if you ever do, it'll kick the pants off of the G5.
                                  i know, but for what i do use osx for the g5 works. for me, osx is for what fedora can't do, not the other way around. i heard that hackintoshes that were dualbooted were hard to make work....

not so much as a gap, more of a disappointment. there was one version of my case with one of the 5.25 with the tray door and the rest removable bay covers... mine is a rarer custom edtion that has 2 bays with the doors and 2 with the plugs... the second bay having no drive would not be visible, but it would be disapointing... i like features, not missing features.
                                  Last edited by ratdude747; 01-02-2011, 03:42 PM.
                                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                  X