Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Floppy Disk Controller "This device cannot start. (code 10)" Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Floppy Disk Controller "This device cannot start. (code 10)" Help!

My floppy disk drive disappeared suddenly from "My Computer"

I can see the Floppy Disk Controller in the device manager but it has a yellow "!" and the following message in the properties: "This device cannot start. (code 10)".

I tried deleting the driver and then rebooting but it didn't fix the problem. I also manually updated the floppy driver and pointed at the Windows\Inf folder with no luck neither. I even tried installing some VIA floppy drive drivers and they were indeed installed but the problem remained.

I am sure this is a software problem, as that PC is a dual boot system and I can see and use floppy in Windows 7. I also tried to boot from floppy in dos mode and it worked too.

I suspect it has to do with something that happened several hours ago: I inserted a 4GB usb flash drive and when I tried to access it, Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 warned me that it was infected with a Trojan. I chose "delete" and then I formatted the flash drive just to be sure.

I remember that the flash drive had a special icon and name when it was infected and then it obtained its normal removable drive name and icon.

I don't know how it got infected, my mother borrowed it from me.

I have read like hundreds of pages all over the net and I have spent hours trying to fix it but no luck

I don't want to format XP for something so stupid like this....

Re: Floppy Disk Controller "This device cannot start. (code 10)" Help!

Have you tried system restore to when it was working? I often forget it's there as I sometimes disable it. After it's saved me a few times, I no longer disable it.

Comment

I tried but there was no restore point

Comment

Try scanning with a few free online scanners

http://www.f-secure.com/en_EMEA-Labs...online-scanner

http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner

http://www.pandasecurity.com/homeuse...ns/activescan/
        "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Something might have messed up with the filter drivers, many viruses try to mess around with those things to enable to inject code or snoop on you. If it installed a driver that got removed but removed incorrectly that might cause your problem, look here for how to manually fix it. There is also a nifty tool for looking at broken filter drivers but i don't remember the name of it from the top of my head.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/812489

Comment

Remove your main HDD, put in a spare, and reinstall Windows on that. If it still comes up with the same thing you have a dud mobo.

I experience the same on the nForce ethernet controller of my HP DV9000, it's been dead since last summer. Lights up but Windows won't see it. Even after replacing the network IC (which is a plain vanilla realtek btw, nvidia just put their name in the drivers), it still behaves the same. That points to a chipset failure.
            Originally posted by PeteS in CA
            Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
            A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Download and run TDSSKiller - if it finds something, make a note of what and remove it.
              Then replace the floppy drivers with ones from an XP machine which is at the same service pack level as you.

Comment

Originally posted by digge View Post
                Something might have messed up with the filter drivers, many viruses try to mess around with those things to enable to inject code or snoop on you. If it installed a driver that got removed but removed incorrectly that might cause your problem, look here for how to manually fix it. There is also a nifty tool for looking at broken filter drivers but i don't remember the name of it from the top of my head.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/812489
                I tried that already but there are no Upperfilters or Lowerfilters in the registry.

Originally posted by seanc View Post
                Download and run TDSSKiller - if it finds something, make a note of what and remove it.
                Then replace the floppy drivers with ones from an XP machine which is at the same service pack level as you.
                I can't find drivers or registry entries that should be there but they are not

I used Acronis True Image to clone back my system from an external hard drive and the floppy appeared again, working without a problem.

But several hours later, after updating firefox, dc++, adobe flash player, kaspersky internet security 2010 virus definitions etc it dissapeared again

What is happening???

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                Remove your main HDD, put in a spare, and reinstall Windows on that. If it still comes up with the same thing you have a dud mobo.

I experience the same on the nForce ethernet controller of my HP DV9000, it's been dead since last summer. Lights up but Windows won't see it. Even after replacing the network IC (which is a plain vanilla realtek btw, nvidia just put their name in the drivers), it still behaves the same. That points to a chipset failure.
                Then why it works at DOS and Windows 7? (remember, it's a dual boot system)

Comment

I was able to reproduce the problem.

I restored the system with Acronis True Image to a point where the floppy disk worked. Then I started applying the same changes-updates that I applied the previous time.

I am now sure that the problem has nothing to do with the USB flash drive. It has nothing to do also with updating msn, dc++, mozilla firefox, adobe flash player to the latest versions.

It is not related with the dual boot configuration either.

The problem is Kaspersky. As long as Kaspersky worked with obsolete databases everything was ok. I even tried 2 hacktools and it deleted them without conflicts with the floppy.

After updating the virus databases, the floppy drive continued to show in "My Computer", BUT when I tested Kaspersky with the same files that it found and deleted before, it deleted them again and then it made the floppy disappear once more

I want to mention also that rolling back to the previous databases and full uninstall of Kaspersky doesn't solve the problem.

So, I have no choice but to change antivirus..........
                  Last edited by goodpsusearch; 04-05-2011, 10:59 PM.

Comment

This is why I don't bother with antivirus software. Useless in every way.

Comment

Give MS Security Essentials a try. It's free (provided you have a genuine windows), doesn't have annoying "buy this & upgrade to that" nagscreens and.. well.. most importantly.. it just works

Comment

Working...
                      X