Network cogging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Network cogging

At my work, I need to make sure none of computers is causing the network to cog making the browsing website a frustrating experience so how can I check for that malware or bad host list. I need to do that checking first before we complain loudly at our ISP.

Cheers, Wizard

Re: Network cogging

Not really sure what you are asking but you should notify your network Admin and they will know what to do if browsing is slow on your works network.

Comment

Check the speed that your router is connected to your DSL service.
      Is it the same speed every day or every time you restart the modem?

If you have a linux based firewall that allows you to perform a packet capture, do that.

Comment

Would need much more info to give really good pointers. However one easy way would be to just make sure each computer don't have any programs running, and just watch the activitylight on the networkcard. If its just giving a blink here and there, should be fine, if its blinking furiously something fishy is going on. Finding out what can be done with some netstat maybe or other tools.

Comment

Cogging is what I mean by I click on anything, wait, and wait....if I click then one second later click again it responds better but slowly. And happens all the time and this is not at my home. It is at my work. It is not the network speed or the ISP's speed. I need to make sure all of the computers is not jamming the network then I have case to complain about loudly to the ISP.

Is there a way to investigate that?

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Originally posted by Wizard View Post
            Is there a way to investigate that?
            For these types of problems, I usually use a network protocol analyzer to see what is "on the network". You can use free tools like

http://www.wireshark.org/

http://www.ethereal.com

to see what is causing the slowdown.
            --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

It's the fallout from Japan..
              ~ snicker ~
              Mann-Made Global Warming.
              - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
              -
              You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
              -

Comment

http://network-tools.com/

Traceroute, Ping, Domain Name Server (DNS) Lookup, WHOIS

Can disconnect all machines but one and see if problem exist or remains?
                veritas odium parit

Comment

You could well just have a DNS lookup problem.
                  Try changing your DNS servers to use OpenDNS - 208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220.

Comment

Working...
                  X