VGA unknown bad caps help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VGA unknown bad caps help!

Sorry guys, i'm new in the forum and first of all i want say "sorry for my bad english". Now let's move to the problem:
    i've recycle a broken nvidia GTX 460 that has for sure bad capacitors, probably also other trouble but i just want try to change all the caps (the pc starts but nothing appear and after about 20 seconds reboot and repeat).
    Anyway i've already done a reflow so i'm trying with the capacitor, if works -good- if not -go to trash-
    The capacitors are shown in the picture attached, where i can find a generic capacitor for the changing? R30 and 042R what are meaning?!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Re: VGA unknown bad caps help!

042R means nothing useful - it is a factory code.
    Those caps are 820uf 2.5v

I dont know about the R30 what is the board designation is it C?? L?? R?? F??
    Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Thanks for the really istant reply. Let you know the designation tomorrow when i will have the card in my hands.

Comment

The ones at the top are 330uF 16v, the ones at the bottom 820uF 2.5v

They're all polymer capacitors, which are kind of expensive but you probably can't do much about it, as the heatsink above would not allow you to replace them with electrolytic capacitors - you'd probably have to use 1200-1500uF 6.3-10v capacitors to get close to the same specs, and those are tall.

I can't tell who makes these polymer capacitors, the color and the codes are not familiar to me.

This page: http://capacitor.web.fc2.com/solidcapacitor.html shows them as uncertain, only mentioning similar polymers were noticed on a Biostar motherboard (scroll all the way to the bottom of the page).

Comment

Originally posted by TheCondor View Post
          Thanks for the really istant reply. Let you know the designation tomorrow when i will have the card in my hands.
          Its ok I found a pic of a similar board - must be a different version it
          is meant to be a GTX 460 but is a lot different.

Anyway the R30 has an L designator which means it is an Inductor.
          They do not often fail and when they do they tend to burn up.
          Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

were the caps like this before you did the reflow?

polys usually do not bloat, they usually explode

measure them, find some nichicon OS-con polys available in your country and replace
            Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
            ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

This card has Thermal Designed Power (TDP) of 150W, I do not think you'll be lucky, only 4 inductors (4 phase ??), and only 6 poly caps...

Compare it to motherboard (CPU), 4 phase and 6 poly's, they are usually advertized for max 95 W...

And OS-CON are WAYYYYY underspecd for this monster (ripple current for sure, and probably ESR too), it'll be like replacing Rubycon MBZ with Yageo SC ...

And if you did The oven thing, you fried capacitors and probably inductors too (if they were not removed before)...

Comment

Thanks guys, this forum is very useful and populated of competent guys!

Caps before oven thing was apparenty good, i covered it before putting in the oven but nothing... i'll try to replace the 820uF and 330uF with some found on some broken mainboards (highter voltage but same capacity). Last chance or i'll trash it.
                Last edited by TheCondor; 04-03-2013, 04:41 AM.

Comment

^
                  That may not work if you replace them with electrolytics of the same value.
                  I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Probably Lelon OCRZs. And it looks like they're as bad as FZ!
                    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

^
                      Huh? Those look nothing like OCRZ. Lelon polies always have the series name on them, so the 1st line would be "OCRZ"
                      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Working...
                      X