Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dead hp dv6 (quanta ut3)

Originally posted by dycc View Post
    do you have the power on sequence of this laptop ????
    why do you think RSMRST# is the guilty ????

RSMRST can be an impulse !!!!

i suspect the southbridge and the kb3926 . first reflow the southbridge and if it is not OK , you must change the kb3926.

good luck

thanks once again for your second comment.

I have a general power on sequence of the laptops and i guess its broadly the same for all ..... more or less ..

hence i opined that rsmrst should be high indicating the EC/SIO chip to go ahead.... if its just a trigger pulse.... and that can easily be the case... then why is the sus b/c pins still low?

what is coming in between?

I am trying to first come to some logical conclusions before going ahead with reflow etc.

Please suggest me what can be wrong there??? and how can i locate the fault by measuring voltages at various points.

as i mentioned the schematics are with me..... and can be downloaded from net....... quanta ut3/ut5

I hope with your kind of experience, its not difficult to tell where the fault lies.

thanks again...

Comment

I am not expirienced that much, but i would try to examine the ene datasheet, and see if that helps to determine the voltages drops. But i recon you would very hard determine the failure if the reason is a dry joint under the northbridge.

Comment

hope to get a response from you.

Comment

Hi. I'm having a similar problem with a Quanta OP6 board of a compaq cq61. And had this exact problem lately with another 2 MBoards of another hp dv6500 - Quanta at3.
          I had the 3920_rst# with high level 3.3v in all the faulty MBoards - when it shouldn't, because it should have low level signal, i think so - and I had 8.7 or 7.x volts in the +12VALW signal. I think it could be some kind of common fault on HP laptops.
          I'm trying hard to find the fault as you but with no luck until now so if you find the solution let us know and I'm working to find and I'll keep you informed about me progress

Comment

What i would do before i look further is i would reflow the motherboard hp's are notorious for this all too common problem all their dv and tx series are affected by this problem, strip the motherboard ,bios battery , cpu etc, preheat your oven to 375 degrees put the mobo on a cookie pan with bga chips facing upwards and put in oven for 8 mins then let cool and reassemble with cleaned heatsink and new thermal grease and try to salvage the thermal pad...i bet it will run like it should...their symptoms of needing a reflow can range from powering on with no display, not power on at all, to power on and shut off right away, wireless card will not show up in hardware profile. hp are notorious for this issue and all 99% of the time needs reflow, its actually very rare to be anything other then a reflow. their cooling system can barely keep their laptops cool when new and when it gets plugged with dust well as you can imagine it gets roasting hot and causes the bga chips to loose contact to the motherboard..

also is some rare cases it will pop the cpu before the north and south bridges if that is the case it will require a cpu replacement..but reflow first to rule that out....
            Last edited by heavymachines; 11-02-2012, 06:38 AM. Reason: more details..

Comment

Originally posted by heavymachines View Post
              What i would do before i look further is i would reflow the motherboard hp's are notorious for this all too common problem all their dv and tx series are affected by this problem, strip the motherboard ,bios battery , cpu etc, preheat your oven to 375 degrees put the mobo on a cookie pan with bga chips facing upwards and put in oven for 8 mins then let cool and reassemble with cleaned heatsink and new thermal grease and try to salvage the thermal pad...i bet it will run like it should...their symptoms of needing a reflow can range from powering on with no display, not power on at all, to power on and shut off right away, wireless card will not show up in hardware profile. hp are notorious for this issue and all 99% of the time needs reflow, its actually very rare to be anything other then a reflow. their cooling system can barely keep their laptops cool when new and when it gets plugged with dust well as you can imagine it gets roasting hot and causes the bga chips to loose contact to the motherboard..

also is some rare cases it will pop the cpu before the north and south bridges if that is the case it will require a cpu replacement..but reflow first to rule that out....
              the problem is the rsmrst voltage ..... indicating that the EC is not working properly

Comment

Originally posted by ruipnt2 View Post
                Hi. I'm having a similar problem with a Quanta OP6 board of a compaq cq61. And had this exact problem lately with another 2 MBoards of another hp dv6500 - Quanta at3.
                I had the 3920_rst# with high level 3.3v in all the faulty MBoards - when it shouldn't, because it should have low level signal, i think so - and I had 8.7 or 7.x volts in the +12VALW signal. I think it could be some kind of common fault on HP laptops.
                I'm trying hard to find the fault as you but with no luck until now so if you find the solution let us know and I'm working to find and I'll keep you informed about me progress
                i have learnt that the 12valw is not that important at the begining.
                what is important is to have rsmrst signal high after pressing power button

and the 3920_rst should be high ..... its ok

check your bios pin 1. what voltage you get there? it should be high

hope that helps

Comment

for the one who have the cq61 ; here the voltage diagram of bios pin before you press power switch button .

pin1=0v pin2=1.6v pin3=3v pin4=0v pin5=0.225v pin6=1.6v pin7=3v pin8=3v.

generally the fault is on pin2. if you get 3v at this pin instead of 1.6v , conclude that you have a bad bios . replace it and all will be OK

hope that helps.

Comment

for the one who have the cq61 ; here the voltage diagram of bios pin before you press power switch button .

generally the fault is on pin2. if you get 3v at this pin instead of 1.6v , conclude that you have a bad bios . replace it and all will be OK

hope that helps.
                    is it a general rule for all SPI bios or model specific? and also could you give the bios voltages after pressing the power button? that will help rule out EC or bios.

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by v1406 View Post
                      the problem is the rsmrst voltage ..... indicating that the EC is not working properly
                      You're right. It seems an EC problem because i noticed too that the SUSON is low level on this motherboard when it should be high. What was confusing for me was the fact that the EC RST has the # symbol and when a signal has this symbol it should be low level and on my Mboard it's high. But I'm just a noob and I have already replaced the EC.
                      But atending to what you've said about ec reset I assume that the reset should be just a low level pulse. Am I right?
                      I'm sorry for my questions but I'm just a noob and in Portugal there's no chip level formation for laptops so I'm just an industrial electronics technician with litle knowledge of laptops learned on my own with the experience that I've got along the last year
                      Last edited by ruipnt2; 11-05-2012, 06:07 AM.

Comment

hope that helps.
                        1 - 3.352v
                        2 - 1.0xxv this pin has as strange value compared to what you've said
                        3 - 3.349v
                        4 - 0v
                        5 - 0v strange too
                        6 - 2.3xxv strange too
                        7 - 3.349v
                        8 - 3.352v

Should I conclude that I have a bad bios chip?

Comment

yes sure it is a bad BIOS. replace it it will work fine

Comment

yes sure it is a bad BIOS. replace it it will work fine
                            Replaced. No luck. Quitted from this motherboard. I don't know if this is relevant to somebody who still trying to find out the issue but when I replaced the bios chip I noticed that the signal of the pin 1 changed to low - 0v. All the other pins remained with similar signals to the signals that I measured with the previous chip.
                            The end for me but if there's any question from anybody that's facing the same issue, I'm ready to help if I can

Comment

Originally posted by v1406 View Post

anyone got a schematic diagram of this?

Comment

Originally posted by whaldsz View Post
                                anyone got a schematic diagram of this?
                                i need this schematic too.

Comment

try this...https://www.badcaps.net/forum/troubl...ematics-needed
                                  Last edited by SMDFlea; 01-21-2024, 02:19 PM.

Comment

hi guys i am new to this forum. but i hv seen many useful posts here.
                                    First of all i hv moderate knowledge in electronics. There for i repair notebooks for fun n for my pocket money.

(i have tried to post a new thread regarding this problem but forum didnt allow me to do so )
                                    last week my friend brought me a laptop with following symptoms:

HP 630 Core i5
                                    When i plugged in charger DC jack lights on
                                    after pressing power power light turns on but nothing else.
                                    no fan , no display ,no thing other than lighting up power led laptop seems almost dead.

According to the power sequence:

3.3AL/5AL and 3.3A/5A lines up n running
                                    PWR_SWIN# -- ok -- lights up
                                    RSMRST# -- 3.3V (always shows 3.3v no change when pressed power button)
                                    EC_PWRBTN# - 3.3v/0v (it shows 3.3v before pressing power button after it shows 0v)

SLP_S5#_3R - ? (schemetics says it is the next thing to check which says sending S5 signal to SB to EC)

from that point everything stops.
                                    I want to knw is this voltages are ok and how to check S5.i think EC (IT8518) is bad bt before i replace it i want to knw what you guys suggesting ......
                                    thanx .....................

Comment

hello i got similar problem dv5 quanta not start no power leds , i discover in pin 2 on power swich conector 1.25 volts , i have another motherboard and there is 3.25 volts. Where can be a problem ?
                                      Sorry for my bad english

Comment

on pl9 have 3.37 volts ,
                                        on pl8 have 5,14 volts
                                        on pl7 have 0,57 volts
                                        on pl5 have 0 volts

Comment

Does the led on dc-jack lights when you plug in the adapter?

Comment

Working...
                                          X