Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Poly Mod Success Stories

asus a8v deluxe.
    not only were the caps leaking but the bios was wrong.
    it had ltec in vcore that were 2.5 ohm esr.
    this will soon be home to an fx60.oh the board,4 gb corsair xms,an antec 500w psu,and 2 500gb sata drives were FREE!
    it sure had the deck stacked against it though.
    we all know what was wrong with the antec.
    btw i measured all the cap voltages so you can use this set of pics for your own mod.
    Attached Files

Comment

Let's setup a fund for a decent camera for kc8adu
      Maybe, just maybe then we can figure out what he is saying :rimshot please:
      "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

kc8adu,

I noticed that you are putting polymers on "crappy" chipset based mainboards. Doesn't that help to stabilize the mentioned issues (like crashes, audio issues pops and crackles etc that is associated with nforce series and VIA?

In particular:

VIA intermittent crashes and bus issues especially with creative audio cards.
        nforce series (especially nforce3 and nforce4 chipsets) corrupting the SATA data?

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

I thought the VIA/Creative problem was the bus-hogging nature of the Creative cards... ?

Some years back, I read an excellent article by a Euro team that analyzed the actual bus performance of the Creative cards, and proved them to be bus hogs.

Comment

That might be true too but VIA chipsets [at least used to] have more noise issues than Intel chipsets. I mean noise like from inside the chip.
            I think that was the real reason behind some of them having problems with the on-board [in the chipset] sound.
            -
            Just speculation by way of piecing different articles together.
            Mann-Made Global Warming.
            - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
            -
            You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
            -

Comment

i use the polys after determining they will do the job.
              when you have more on hand than you will ever use or sell you make use of them.
              and i always trick out anything we use in the shop or keep.
              as for the via chipset issues i have heard of them but not seen it.
              a neighbor has an audigy in a vp6 without issues.well other than the required recap!

Comment

When you replace electrolytics with polymers in the VRM, do you drop the capacitance value?

For example, I have a Dell 8300 that came in with mixed types in the VRM:
                Six defective 820s and four 560uF/4v.

I'm thinking about replacing the defective ones with OSCON polymers.
                Unsure to use the current 820uF or the 560uF of the existing polys.

Comment

i use 820@2.5
                  replace all to make sure ripple current is shared.

Comment

If you think about it. - At least in the VRM....
                    uF is for slow [load transients]
                    Ripple is for fast [noise]
                    [Of course slow and fast are relative like the speed of light is faster than the speed of sound.]

uF is mostly to handle load changes. [Like a battery / shock absorber idea.]
                    -
                    On CPU side of VRM the CPU kicking from idle to full load is only going to drop volts [maybe] a few hundred milli-volts. Doesn't take much uF to compensate for that. You DO need some uF there but the higher uF values [over 1500uF] you/I/everyone is used to seeing there is to achieve the better Ripple capacity of those caps, not for the uF they have. - - They need xxx amount of Ripple capacity and lytics where the cheapest way to get it, but to get xxx amount they needed lytics with larger than necessary uF.

On +12v side it's a little different.
                    On that side of the VRM you have to consider the caps have other non-CPU load changes to help smooth out. Those caps are in parallel with the +12v filter cap[s] in the PSU. Depending on the PSU's design those caps are also smoothing load changes for things like hard drives, optical drives, and video cards. If you go too low on uF there it may still be fine with a good PSU but if it gets attached to a chunker PSU you may have stability problems on +12v.

Most of the Intel 5000__ Chipset server boards I've been working with lately mix polymer and lytics in +12v VRM but have all poly on the CPU side.
                    [Both Supermicro and Intel are doing that.]
                    -
                    For example the Intel S5000PSL [have 3 in the shop so I ran out and looked] has 2x 330uF-16v poly and 4x 1200uF-16v KZE in parallel.
                    -
                    The 5000__ Chipset boards is also seem to have the RAM on +12v with a full blown VRM just for the RAM. [That VRM has it's own 16v cap[s].]
                    I haven't traced it out but that's what it looks like is going on.
                    Mann-Made Global Warming.
                    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                    -
                    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                    -

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu
                      i use 820@2.5
                      replace all to make sure ripple current is shared.
                      I'm understanding you to say:

1) replace the four working OSCON 560/4v with 820/4v
                      2) replace the six defective 820/6.3 with 820/4v OSCON

I don't have access to 2.5v, so will remain with all 4v pieces.
                      The above will bring make all 10 pieces uniform at 820/4v OSCON.

Comment

I screwed up my first poly order, and wound up with 10mm caps.
                        Needed 8mm.
                        Ordered more.

The leads on the polys are slightly thicker than standard, so extra cleaning of the hole is required. I use a dental pick, and it works fine.

The Dimension 8300 board is alive and well after the recap.
                        The video card had popped caps also, so I redid those with MCZ.

I am unclear on how to calculate the replacement impedance when using polys.

Comment

I can see in photo 1 that you have 820's@ 2.5v installed on the cpu side of the regulators... but other than that... I cannot descern the values of the polymer caps. I have the same A8V deluxe and an A8V E SE that are both more than just ready for recapping...and I'm ready to order the caps and copy your work. Can you supply a board layout of what you replaced with what? Sent you an email regarding the same questions the other day... and again.. thanks for your time.

Comment

wizzard.. I have a few of these boards, I like these boards... partially out of thats what I have (if you have a chevy.. fords suck type thing) and partially being thats what I can afford... but in my limited expirence, you are correct in the noise, sort of a white noise with a static overlay (sounds exactly like when one of the op amps are getting ready to fail in one of my old pioneer EQs) ...and when using the via sata ports.. they tend to drop the boot order. However it seems to be prevelent with the K8t800 chipsets.. the two K8T890 boards I have are quiet. I didn't realize the chipset conection until I read your post.. baffled me for awhile now.

Comment

large silver/blue are 330@16 ncc ps.
                              smaller silver/blue are ncc psa 820@2.5.
                              yellow/black are fujitsu 820@2.5.interchangeable with the ncc.
                              and silver/purple are sanyo sepc 560@4.

Comment

kc8adu.. Thanks, I learned long ago, anytime I can learn from another's knowledge gained by years of experience.. to do so. If you ever need help or have a question I can help with.. let me know. I build mostly chevy small block race engines, fabricate street road racers and machines. I fly RC planes and build HO scale steam loco's, and worked for Muntz stereo in a warrantee station in the late 60's and 70's.
                                Thanks again,
                                Fabricate'r

Comment

kc8adu.. again thanks, I've been blowing up these pic's and trying to get a viable count. Very frustrating. Actully can't even make out the colors of a couple by the pci busses And I don't like to ask anybody for anything.. just not the way I've carried myself thru life, which compounds the problem.
                                  This is what I come up with, except the yellow and black electrolytics I'm assuming are 1000uf at 6.3v. ..and can be changed out with the 820uf poly's

large silver/blue are 330uf 16v Nippon Chemi-con ps. 6
                                  smaller silver/blue are Nippon Chemi-con psa 820uf 2.5v 12
                                  yellow/black are fujitsu 820uf 2.5v interchangeable with the Nippon Chemi-con 12
                                  and silver/purple are sanyo sepc 560uf 4.v 3

I don't know man.. maybe a better picture... marked up copy of the componet layout sheet, something. I gave this my best shot. My next move would be to look elsewhere for nfo or fill it full of rubycons.
                                  Thanks for your time,
                                  Fabricate'r

Comment

Before: Gigabyte GA-7VA
                                    After: GA-7VA-DS3L

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9466
                                    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Working...
                                    X