X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power supply build quality pictorial. part 2

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
    better at least replace the killer cap.
    its the smaller of the 2 to the left of the opto's in the last pic.
    i use a 22@50 fc.
    Duly noted. For now, I marked that particular cap and wrote a reminder about it. Another power supply is in its place now.
    Recovering a BEFSR41 v1 and v2 router from solid red DIAG Light
    I have two v2s and one v1.

I am still looking at these boards nearly every day.

What I'm doing: Planning an upgrade of my mining setup from Block Erupters to Red Furys. Though, if the Block Erupters don't sell, I will keep using them for a while.

Comment

Corsair HX620W

470uF 400V Nippon Chemi-Con KMQ primary.
      2700uF 16V Nippon Chemi-Con KZE before +5VSB regulator with 1000uF 10V Nippon Chemi-Con KY after it.
      3300uF 6.3V Nippon Chemi-Con KY before +3.3V inductor with 2200uF 6.3V KY after it.
      4700uF 10V Nippon Chemi-Con KY before +5V inductor with 2200uF 10V KY after it.
      2200uF 16V Nippon Chemi-Con KZE on +12V rail.
      1000uF 16V Nippon Chemi-Con KY before -12V inductor with 220uF 16V KY after it.

12cm Adda fan.
      UCC28515 PFC/PWM controller.
      GBJ1506 (800V 15A) bridge rectifier.
      STPS6045CW x2 rectifier for +12V
      STPS60L45CW (? - blown) rectifier for +5V.
      STPS30L30CT rectifier for +3.3V
      STTH8S06D rectifier after PFC stage.
      24N60 x2 MOSFETs for PFC stage.
      18N50 x2 MOSFETs for mains stage.
      Attached Files
      My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

WOW! all NCC caps.
        seem to be Seasonic OEM.
        | AMD Phenom II X2 550BE | GIGABYTE GA-MA790FXT-UD5P | GeIL DDR3 Ultra 2x2GB 1600C7 |
        | XFX GTS250 DDR3 512MB | Dell H525EF-00 | Lancool PC-K62 Black | Samsung 2232GW |
        | 2xWD7500AYYS | 2xHD322GJ Raid0 |

Comment

Only 1x2200 on 12V rail?

Comment

Originally posted by goodpsusearch View Post
            Only 1x2200 on 12V rail?
            It should have been two 2200uF 16V units on the 12V rail. My mistake
            My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Jou Jye Electronic JJ-300PPGA

Is this stupid or not? Why would anyone put so much cheep glue on the backside of a psu's pcb?
              Attached Files

Comment

They probably put it there to hold a plastic shield in place underneath the pcb to prevent shorting against the case, but that looks like the glue that gets conductive with heat and time.

Comment

HiPro HP-2507F3P 250 watt PSU - came from a Dell OptiPlex GX260 SFF
                  DC Output: 5v @ 22A, 3.3v @ 18A, 12v @14A, 5vsb @ 2A, -12v @ 1A
                  150W combined on 5v and 3.3v rails
                  Has passive PFC (transformer not visible in the pictures) and uses single-transistor forward design. 5vsb is generated from a TOPSwitch TOP200YA.

Internals...
                  Schottky Diodes: 1x 40A for 5v rail, 1x 40A for 3.3v rail, 1x 16A for 12v rail, 3A axial diode for 5vsb
                  3.3v rail is generated from a Mosfet (hence the lack of a seconds coil on the secondary side)
                  Primary capacitors capacitors: 2x 200v 560uF Panasonic UP?
                  Secondary capacitors...
                  3.3v rail: 3x Asiacon LE 10v, 2200uF
                  5v rail: 1x Asiacon LE 10v, 4700uF and 1x Asiacon LE 10v, 3300uF
                  12v rail: 2x Asiacon LE 16v, 3300uF
                  5vsb: 1x Asiacon LE 16v, 1000uF and 1x Asiacon HT 16v, 470uF
                  -12v rail: 1x Asiacon HT 25v, 470uF and 1x Asiacon HT 16v, 220uF?

Very nice power supply overall, with thick heatsinks and temperature controlled fan.
                  Got it for free (well, $5 actually - reason in post below) because the 5vsb was not working. D203 (UF202, a 2A diode) was shorted. Replaced temporarily with FR153 (pulled from a gutless PSU long time ago), and PSU is up and running now .
                  Attached Files

Comment

HiPro HP-2007F3 200 watt PSU - came from a Dell Dimension 2400
                    DC Output: 5v @ 22A, 3.3v @ 14A, 12v @10A, 5vsb @ 2A, -12v @ 1A
                    135W combined on 5v and 3.3v rails
                    Uses single-transistor forward design. 5vsb is generated from an 8-pin IC (forgot the part number).

Internals...
                    Schottky Diodes: 1x 30A for 5v rail, 1x 30A for 3.3v rail, 1x 10A for 12v rail, 3A diode for 5vsb
                    3.3v rail is generated from a Mosfet (hence the lack of a seconds coil on the secondary side)
                    Primary capacitors capacitors: 2x 200v 470uF Panasonic UP?
                    Secondary capacitors (couldn't see all of them so this list may not be very accurate)...
                    3.3v rail: 2x Teapo SC 10v, 2200uF, 1x Teapo SC 10v, 1000uF
                    5v rail: 1x Teapo SC 10v, 4700uF? and 1x Teapo SC 10v, 2200uF?
                    12v rail: 2x Teapo SC 16v, 2200uF?
                    5vsb: 1x Teapo SC 10v?, 1000uF? and 1x Teapo SC 10v, 470uF?
                    -12v rail: 1x Teapo SC 25v?, 470uF? and 1x Teapo SC 16v?, 220uF?

Overall, another decent PSU.
                    Got it for $5 on Craigslist. Original owner claimed the PSU shut off randomly - which is possible, since the PSU had a bad 10v, 1000uF Teapo SC on the 3.3v rail before the regulating Mosfet. Recapped just that cap and it's running again.
                    The OptiPlex GX260 I mentioned in my previous post needed a quick PSU replacement so I used this PSU in place of the 250W HiPro above. Thus, I got the 250W HiPro for me to keep, which is now fixed as well.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Excellent soldering!

The parts the used are overkill for 200 and 200 Watt psus.

Very good work

Comment

asus s-30fp made by bestec (says so on transformer and you can tell by the design of the case. the secondar caps are jamicon.
                        sandwiched among the jammies are some big resistors presumaby responsible for the discoloration of the inside of the case there. decent input filter, decent heatsinks...
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                          sandwiched among the jammies are some big resistors presumaby responsible for the discoloration of the inside of the case there.
                          The designer of this PSU obviously doesn't know ANYTHING about heat dissipation! Get rid of those resistors before they bake everything. Also a good idea to remove the tan/brown glue which goes conductive (usually with added heat).

On the 200W HiPro I posted, there was just one 100 Ohm resistor on the -12v rail which was enough to cause minor discoloration on the PCB. Needless to say, I replaced it on sight. Used a 1000 Ohm resistor.

Originally posted by goodpsusearch
                          Excellent soldering!
                          Actualy, the soldering is about average on those HiPro PSUs. I like it, though, because the solder is not lead-free and there are no SMT components like Delta and Lite-ON usually do.
                          Last edited by momaka; 10-10-2010, 09:55 PM.

Comment

i think shovenose's PSU is a rebadged 250-12E. motherboard killer right there. same roasting resistor that the dead one i gutted had... i think it actually made a cap next door leak out the bung and light fire (there was ash everywhere radiating from the area of the cap and resistor, the cap had a bit of burnt plastic as well). fire hazard as well. either pull an everell and add a secondary board to replace the junk 5vsb circuit or gut it for spare PSU and tinkering parts (what i did).
                            sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

i have seen plenty of bestecs.i dont think it would be a atx-250-12e it has a much better component count and bigger heatsinks. can i just remov that resistor?

Comment

Originally posted by goodpsusearch View Post

The parts the used are overkill for 200 and 200 Watt psus.
                                Sorry, I was sleepy... The right version is:

The parts they used are overkill for 200 and 250 Watt psus.
                                Last edited by goodpsusearch; 10-11-2010, 06:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                                  i have seen plenty of bestecs.i dont think it would be a atx-250-12e it has a much better component count and bigger heatsinks. can i just remov that resistor?
                                  It looks like a rebadged atx-300-12Z. Doesn't have the 2 transistor 5vsb circuit, as evidenced by the 4 optocouplers.

Comment

Yeah i was thinking 12z but the bestec oem psus have one rail only?

Comment

Turbolink LC-A350ATX RU= E164554 CSA LR110995 Level 3.

Claims 24A on +3.3v, 35A on +5v, 12A on +12v, .5A on -5v and 2A on +5vSB

I suspect this is total crap.

I had this thing operating a Tualatin board, no issues, but yanked and replaced with Dynex(Huntkey) so I can sleep at night.

Can anything be done with this PSU or just scrap it?

Attached Files

Comment

Show as the transformer and the main caps pls

Comment

@ bigbeark: yes the ratings likely are total crap. I have a "420W" version of that PSU, and if I remember correctly, the 12v rail has a 10A rectifier while the 5v and 3.3v have 15A rectifiers. Newbie2 has a similar one mentioned here:
                                          https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7588
                                          Real manufacturer is CWT - probably one of their lowest-end units you can find.

Originally posted by bigbeark View Post
                                          Can anything be done with this PSU or just scrap it?
                                          Depends on how well the PSU is built and how far you want to go. Newbie2 rebuilt his and used it in a 2.2GHz Celeron...
                                          https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7672

Comment

Working...
                                          X