Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blank screen Dell 3008wfp 30inch

Dell 3008wfp

I have this Dell 30" screen and it seems until it warms up I get a blank screen, which flickers at first from time to time.

I turn it off and back on again which sometimes resolves the problem, advancing from this, I tilt the screen by pulling from the base upwards and this also sometimes solves the problem. I don't get this problem after prolonged use and my feeling is there is/are faulty component(s) which work better when warm?

I can tell when the screen is about to go blank as the white goes an off-white and then instantly blank. I read somewhere that this is a known issue and could be related to bad capacitors?

Its not a new screen, i've had it a while and literally put up with this for quite some time now.

Can anyone help here at all before I do actually punch the bugger?

Thanks very much in advance for any help at all with this.

Re: Blank screen Dell 3008wfp 30inch

Originally posted by H0RN3T View Post
    Dell 3008wfp

I have this Dell 30" screen and it seems until it warms up I get a blank screen, which flickers at first from time to time.

I turn it off and back on again which sometimes resolves the problem, advancing from this, I tilt the screen by pulling from the base upwards and this also sometimes solves the problem. I don't get this problem after prolonged use and my feeling is there is/are faulty component(s) which work better when warm?

I can tell when the screen is about to go blank as the white goes an off-white and then instantly blank. I read somewhere that this is a known issue and could be related to bad capacitors?

Its not a new screen, i've had it a while and literally put up with this for quite some time now.

Can anyone help here at all before I do actually punch the bugger?

Thanks very much in advance for any help at all with this.
    Yes this is related to capacitors, this model is known to have bad caps.
    Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Hi Ben7, thanks for quick response.

Is there a way around this or do you have any further info on repairing this problem?

Cheers

Comment

All capacitors have a usually undesired property known as ESR, or equivalent series resistance. Bad capacitors have high ESR. High ESR caps prevent the monitor's integrated power supply from functioning properly. As capacitors warm up, bad or not, their ESR can fall, giving the monitor just enough juice to get going.

It is by no means a permanent fix to warm them up, you will have likely noticed that the monitor takes more and more time to power up every day. Eventually it will not turn on at all because the caps will have failed permanently.

Replacing them (with decent caps which will last 15+ years) is fairly easy and will cost less than $10.

Start by disassembling your monitor and taking pictures of the power supply board (the part where the AC comes in), and the main board (the part where the VGA/DVI plugs into.) Try to use sunlight or a natural level of light, and keep the pictures in focus.
        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Excellent, thanks a lot Tom66, how'd I give you +rep ?

So all is not lost, occasionally it does take a while to come around but i've not noticed a difference in the time it takes, tilting/pulling or tapping the bottom of the panel pretty much center where the DELL logo is, seems to help bring it back.

Is there a disassembly manual or walkthrough somewhere? I'm so heavy handed with this sort of thing, I tend to break clips and stuff which hold things together. I will certainly have a go at it, i have some soldering experience and an old soldering iron lol. I will however post some disassembly photos and further info when this time comes to help others in future. I do have another 24" screen which is blank, will the caps from this do the job? I'm guessing that poor capacitors is a popular issue with these LCD monitors?

Thanks further m8

Comment

SEARCH above right is your friend - read this thread synatrol gives a good description and someone else has a warning about a short lead.
            https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...hlight=3008wfp
            Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

I do have another 24" screen which is blank, will the caps from this do the job?
              Never recommended unless you live somewhere where it is virtually impossible or very expensive to get new ones. How would you know if they were any good?
              Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Originally posted by selldoor View Post
                Never recommended unless you live somewhere where it is virtually impossible or very expensive to get new ones. How would you know if they were any good?
                Hi Selldoor, I did actually use search but I never saw this thread, strange. Anyway, thanks for this link.

I did wonder about the capacitors and I did think the same lol, its an option I guess. I'm pretty sure I could get new ones, which would be easier anyway

Just knowing what to look for now.. When I have the back off I will be back for sure. With such a big expensive screen I think i'll be waiting further before I jump in.

I have a 2nd screen, i've posted about today which I use to extend my desktop atm, I've successfully fixed this today thanks to you guys

I'll switch em over one day while I break the Dell 30" lool

Comment

Can you post some pictures of the back cover? On most LCD monitors, you must remove the stand, place the monitor on a soft pillow or blanket (so you don't scratch the screen), then detach the clips using a butter knife or credit card.
                  Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                  For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Will do Tom, I will be back

Comment

Im betting there might be a cold solder joint somewhere too, since you said tapping on it sometimes helps.
                      Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Hi ben7, Tapping, pulling from bottom into tilt-up and even squeezing the width of the screen, right on the DELL logo (mid-bottom) brings it back sometimes after I turn it back on.

Sometimes I see the off-white/flicker and simply pull the bottom into tilt, timing this right and moving quickly gets the picture back on.

Once the screen is on vibrations(movement of the desk its on) can knock it back to blank but once the screen has warmed up, I have no issues all day,

early in the day while cooler, if I lose the screen, sometimes I have to be very careful typing and moving while the screen is warming in an upward tilt lol.

My feeling has always been it is bad capacitors, since reading in a few places, other forum members seem to have the same problem as I.

I Very much appreciate any feedback here tho, lets hope anything i've said here helps others too but ultimately helps me also lolz.

I gotta wait a little while before I can open this 30" up tho. Plus I need some courage hehe

Comment

Hi ben7, Tapping, pulling from bottom into tilt-up and even squeezing the width of the screen, right on the DELL logo (mid-bottom) brings it back sometimes after I turn it back on.

Sometimes I see the off-white/flicker and simply pull the bottom into tilt, timing this right and moving quickly gets the picture back on.

Once the screen is on vibrations(movement of the desk its on) can knock it back to blank but once the screen has warmed up, I have no issues all day,

early in the day while cooler, if I lose the screen, sometimes I have to be very careful typing and moving while the screen is warming in an upward tilt lol.

My feeling has always been it is bad capacitors, since reading in a few places, other forum members seem to have the same problem as I.

I Very much appreciate any feedback here tho, lets hope anything i've said here helps others too but ultimately helps me also lolz.

I gotta wait a little while before I can open this 30" up tho. Plus I need some courage hehe
                          Yeah, that definitely sounds more like a cold solder joint to me. In which case the total cost to repair would be the cost of a soldering iron and some solder...

Comment

Sounds good. Is this likely a circuit close to the bottom middle then? I guess this could also be a loose connector or ribbon?

Comment

Sounds good. Is this likely a circuit close to the bottom middle then? I guess this could also be a loose connector or ribbon?
                              Flexing could be moving anything inside the monitor around, like the power supply or main board. But cold solder joints are easy to spot by eye; a good solder joint will be very shiny, and a bad one will be dull.

Comment

Cheers Tom, will look for this too

Comment

Working...
                                X