Ghosting at CRTs, where to concentrate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ghosting at CRTs, where to concentrate?

I have 3 old CRT 14" brought to me. Problem is slight ghosting of images at the CRT display, especially at the center. Problem is hardly seen at the periphery of the screen. Example: black letters on a white background have a reddish shadow to their immediate right. While I've done some TV repairs in the past, that was 20 years ago and I don't want to spend a lot of troubleshooting time on these dinosaurs. Which section of the monitor should I concentrate on?

Re: Ghosting at CRTs, where to concentrate?

Download Nokia Monitor Test and input the magenta convergence pattern. Do you see the red and blue lines separate at the center? If so, you have a convergence problem.

Convergence is tricky to do and affects the whole screen. It's going to take at least 1 hour per monitor staring into patterns. Problems usually appear in the corners so what you're describing is unusual, center convergence problems indicate that the magnets on the neck of the tube have been knocked loose, and those are really tedious to align. If they aren't any kind of specialty monitors, for 14" i wouldn't bother. For 21" Trinitrons, well, that's a totally different story...
    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
    A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Working...
    X