Acer P193w - blink screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acer P193w - blink screen

Issue: when switch ON, the screen blink very quick showing "Acer", and black screen, and the power LED also blink from orange to blue.

Open up the monitor

- No bad cap
    - With connectors remove from logic board and CCFL, the power board has stable voltage of 5V and 14v
    - On the back of PSB, the U501 & U502 Mosfet (9962GH) no short (measured the leads desoldered from board)
    - IC501 i believe is inverter controller, part (MPS 0805, MP1008ES). Can't find the datasheet online
    - Inverter transformer: secondary leads 517 ohms for both transformer

I am thinking of opening up the CCFL backlight to see if the problems lie in there.

Any advice before i proceed further ?
    thanks
    Attached Files

Re: Acer P193w - blink screen

Did you test the ESR on the caps? They can be bad without bulging, and those don't look like good brands. The solder on T502 looks nasty, but it could be the picture or just lead-free solder.

Comment

With the power off, try checking the resistance of the inverter secondaries. The difference between the two should be no more than 3%.

Comment

Try taking a picture of that big 100uF suscon from an angle you see it's top if it's slitghtly bulged. Had similar symptoms with LG after replacing small caps. Eventually it was the big one.

Comment

Originally posted by jsog View Post
          Did you test the ESR on the caps? They can be bad without bulging, and those don't look like good brands. The solder on T502 looks nasty, but it could be the picture or just lead-free solder.
          I did not test the ESR. Understand that they can be bad, but the voltage output at the filter caps are stable 5V and 14V

Solder is lead-free, I will re-touch all the solder leads again.

Comment

Originally posted by jetadm123 View Post
            With the power off, try checking the resistance of the inverter secondaries. The difference between the two should be no more than 3%.
            I am not sure if i measured correctly, inverter transformer: secondary leads 517 ohms for both transformers.

See the diagrams, 517ohms between the 2 green point and also same value at the 2 red point

Is value too low ?
            Attached Files
            Last edited by spintop; 04-08-2011, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CapBlown View Post
              Try taking a picture of that big 100uF suscon from an angle you see it's top if it's slitghtly bulged. Had similar symptoms with LG after replacing small caps. Eventually it was the big one.
              Voltage at the big cap is stable at 330V.
              I try change it with a new spare cap, did not solve the problem.

Comment

Sounds like you are getting to the 'test CCFLs and wiring' part.Perhaps try one light on at a time...eg the top ones first and see if they come on at all, then try the bottom the same way.The majority of times I have the fault on this model, its usually the top lamp that fails,but you can get the monitor fault where either top or bottom does not light at all,so making it a component type fault.

Comment

Today I try something else, there are 4 CCFL connectors in this Acer P193w.
                  Hook up 1 (topmost) to a spare 11" laptop panel, and the 3 remain hook to this acer panel.

Result:
                  - Great ! blinking resolved, and the image on screen is good except only 3/4 the brightness having only 3 CCFL powered.
                  - Same result if i hook to the 2nd connector.
                  - But with the 3rd and 4th (bottommost), blinking comes back.

Questions:
                  - Can I conclude top 2 CCFL tube faulty ?
                  - Bottom CCFL is ok ?
                  - Is it easy to buy and replace the CCFL ?
                  - Is there a way to trick the sensing circuit to just use 3 CCFL tubes ? Because with all 4 coonected, the sensing circuit kicks in and switch on and off (blinking). I can do with the brightness of 3 tubes, just that i have the 11" panel ON and hanging.

Comment

Originally posted by Rtech View Post
                    Sounds like you are getting to the 'test CCFLs and wiring' part.Perhaps try one light on at a time...eg the top ones first and see if they come on at all, then try the bottom the same way.The majority of times I have the fault on this model, its usually the top lamp that fails,but you can get the monitor fault where either top or bottom does not light at all,so making it a component type fault.
                    U are right on ! absolutely correct !!!
                    See top post, faulty top ccfl !!

So did u try to replace the tube ? pls advice how to go about diassemble to reach the tube

Comment

You can change them, but the name of the game is ' with great care' as it is easy to damage the screen.Most Forum members will probably say this is the hardest repair to do on monitors.There is a video on Youtube somewhere that shows how to do one,and I'm sure someone can point you to that.GOOD LUCK

Comment

You can change them, but the name of the game is ' with great care' as it is easy to damage the screen.Most Forum members will probably say this is the hardest repair to do on monitors.There is a video on Youtube somewhere that shows how to do one,and I'm sure someone can point you to that.GOOD LUCK
                        do u know what specs is the ccfl ?
                        where can i order them ?

thanks

Comment

If you are in the States,I understand ccfl.warehouse are very highly thought of by people on here.It seems you can phone them and they will get exactly what you need.

Comment

They also have a tutorial on how to install new ones.

http://www.ccflwarehouse.com/lasotu.html
                            --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                              They also have a tutorial on how to install new ones.

http://www.ccflwarehouse.com/lasotu.html
                              I have not decided if i want to do it myself, as the task seems pretty daunting with good chance of damage. Maybe give it to someone who is able to do the job.

wonder anyone here have successfully do a ccfl replace ?

Comment

I've done 2, you have to be real careful the bulbs can break real easy, ccflwarehouse has assemblies you have to know the part # of the panel.

Comment

Originally posted by De3rcr View Post
                                  I've done 2, you have to be real careful the bulbs can break real easy, ccflwarehouse has assemblies you have to know the part # of the panel.
                                  You can also get full assemblies to ease the repair/replacement

http://www.ccflwarehouse.com/cohaccas.html

Obviously, they will cost more than the "bare" ccfl.
                                  --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by spintop View Post
                                    I have not decided if i want to do it myself, as the task seems pretty daunting with good chance of damage. Maybe give it to someone who is able to do the job.

wonder anyone here have successfully do a ccfl replace ?
                                    I'm sure lots of members change them where necessary,even though they can be a pain.Example......I got an Acer 1706,Top backlight had failed,went to replace, BUT as heat rises,and this had been used for a good few years,the plastic type connector to the screen had become brittle, and split as soon as it was 'unfolded' to remove it.
                                    In the UK at one time,no doubt you could have taken it to a TV repair shop, and they may have helped,but now those shops are few and far between,due to the rubbish from the Far East we now get,little technical info in some cases, and difficulty with spares,which is why we are becoming a 'throw away' nation, and no doubt other countries are also going or already gone that way.

Comment

I'm sure lots of members change them where necessary,even though they can be a pain.Example......I got an Acer 1706,Top backlight had failed,went to replace, BUT as heat rises,and this had been used for a good few years,the plastic type connector to the screen had become brittle, and split as soon as it was 'unfolded' to remove it.
                                      In the UK at one time,no doubt you could have taken it to a TV repair shop, and they may have helped,but now those shops are few and far between,due to the rubbish from the Far East we now get,little technical info in some cases, and difficulty with spares,which is why we are becoming a 'throw away' nation, and no doubt other countries are also going or already gone that way.
                                      For one thing this Acer 193w is still looking good even now with just 3 ccfl working. So on one hand don't want to ruin a nice working lcd due to my inexperience in replacing the lamp. On the other hand, just want to fix this one completely.

Comment

Finally, opened up the panel to reach the CCFL lamps. Replaced the top dual lamp with a new one. Now working great !!! The toughest is to keep dust and fingerprint away from the panel layers, opening and assembly is quite easy.

On the old dual lamp, found that the fault could to due to the browning and rather bad corrision of the wiring near the ends of the lamps, likely from the years of usage at high voltage.

FYI, I believe if I replaced the wiring in the old lamps, they could be re-used. So for those who have difficulty finding replacement lamp, they could try out this method first.

Once again thanks all for the valuable advice !!!

Comment

Working...
                                        X