Thinking of putting a subwoofer inside my dv9000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking of putting a subwoofer inside my dv9000

Tonight i visited a friend to help him with a Dell laptop. I know this guy doesn't like paying cash (he's good at selling stuff), so i asked him instead to give me some parts he can't manage to sell in return for my help.

I got an inverter from a Lenovo (oughta be good for testing those CCFLs) and a subwoofer from a hp dv7. I didn't have any use for it really, but i like cute little speakers. Now, thing is, it almost fits height wise inside my dv9000's 2nd HDD bay, if i would cut a hole in the cover. And i'll never use 2 hard drives in this thing, because i need that stupid bracket for the 2nd drive and i can't seem to find it anywhere. I'm really thinking of dropping this little subwoofer in there.

In all honesty, it's likely a glorified midrange driver (it's in a sealed plastic case, it's not even ported), but even a bit of extra kick wouldn't hurt.
    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
    A working TV? How boring!

Re: Thinking of putting a subwoofer inside my dv9000

I wouldn't do it. If that speaker box isn't perfectly magnetically shielded it will wipe your hard drive out.
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
    Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
    John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
    Rod Serling

Comment

A subwoofer? I don't think that would fit in a laptop!
      Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Originally posted by Junk Parts View Post
        I wouldn't do it. If that speaker box isn't perfectly magnetically shielded it will wipe your hard drive out.
        I wouldn't worry about that because it came from another laptop so it's designed for that. Besides, the 1st hdd bay (which is populated) is on the left side, and the 2nd bay on the right side, with the RAM and wireless card between them. There's more than enough space between them to not worry about magnetic issues.

Btw i am in error, that woofer is from a Packard Bell not a DV7. How do i know? i picked the DV7 one today. It's in a pretty large ported plastic enclosure. Definitely not gonna fit anything else... i'll see what use i find for it.

Originally posted by ben7 View Post
        A subwoofer? I don't think that would fit in a laptop!
        Like i said, more of a glorified midrange driver, but better than nothing. I cut the rear of the enclosure, now it fits perfectly in the 2nd bay, just have to cut the cover, and find a suitable class D amplifier chip for it. With the rear cut, the driver made some awful noises because it needs the air suspension, otherwise it bottoms out easily. I filled the remainder of the enclosure with cotton wool, and now it sounds fine and fits right in. Time to search around for a little class D chip that will work from 5v and needs the least number of external components.
        Originally posted by PeteS in CA
        Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
        A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
          I wouldn't worry about that because it came from another laptop so it's designed for that. Besides, the 1st hdd bay (which is populated) is on the left side, and the 2nd bay on the right side, with the RAM and wireless card between them. There's more than enough space between them to not worry about magnetic issues.

Btw i am in error, that woofer is from a Packard Bell not a DV7. How do i know? i picked the DV7 one today. It's in a pretty large ported plastic enclosure. Definitely not gonna fit anything else... i'll see what use i find for it.

Like i said, more of a glorified midrange driver, but better than nothing. I cut the rear of the enclosure, now it fits perfectly in the 2nd bay, just have to cut the cover, and find a suitable class D amplifier chip for it. With the rear cut, the driver made some awful noises because it needs the air suspension, otherwise it bottoms out easily. I filled the remainder of the enclosure with cotton wool, and now it sounds fine and fits right in. Time to search around for a little class D chip that will work from 5v and needs the least number of external components.
          Ah, k

So, are you gonna build an amp for it?
          Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

dv9000?

Just don't let the bass shake the BGAs too much...

Comment

Originally posted by b700029 View Post
              dv9000?

Just don't let the bass shake the BGAs too much...
              Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

This isn't undheard of. My old Dell Precision M90 had a sub in in. Plenty of laptops do. It's usually as stated a glorified midrange put into a small enclosure to give it a bit better sound. I don't think it's a horrible idea.

Comment

Working...
                X