MSI K2N2 Delta 2 LSR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MSI K2N2 Delta 2 LSR

No, you should manually 'update' the drivers to Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE controllers.

Comment

Originally posted by seanc View Post
      No, you should manually 'update' the drivers to Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE controllers.
      I just had a thought (a rare thing), both the boards have Nf2 chipsets. I'm wondering if the ide drivers would be the same or similar enough to allow a boot.

I'm almost done on getting the board in and tested. A few distractions have made this a bit slow.

I think the problem with the manual update is that I no long have the MSI board running it was getting very unstable. I think that I'm may not even get into safe mode when the Asus if fired up but we'll see. If not I believe I can boot from UBCD4win and do it from there.
      Last edited by Louiscar; 04-10-2011, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Well it will almost definitely be fine if both boards are using an nForce2 chipset.

Comment

Originally posted by Louiscar View Post
          As it is I have never agreed to the wpa terms so I'm denied certain updates. Does that kill the activation completely then?
          that tool patches the winlogon.exe and removes the WPA check, so windows will always say/think it's "already activated", no matter how much hardware you switch around.

WPA (Windows Product Activation) is not the same as WGA (Windows Genuine Advantage) though, which is needed for some downloads from the MS update page like windows media player 10 for example (which is a non-problem anyways, as there are tons of websites having it in their download archives without those WGA checks lol)

the only drawback is that if you install a service pack, it'll probably overwrite the winlogon.exe (because it updates it) and you have to reapply the patch.
          Not too much of a problem though, as there won't be any new servicepack coming out for XP

Comment

Originally posted by Scenic View Post

WPA (Windows Product Activation) is not the same as WGA (Windows Genuine Advantage) though, which is needed for some downloads from the MS update page like windows media player 10 for example (which is a non-problem anyways, as there are tons of websites having it in their download archives without those WGA checks lol)

the only drawback is that if you install a service pack, it'll probably overwrite the winlogon.exe (because it updates it) and you have to reapply the patch.
            Not too much of a problem though, as there won't be any new servicepack coming out for XP
            Ah yes, getting WGA mixed up with WPA. I've always refused the WGA terms.
            and you are right, no more service packs. I had slipstreamed my SP2 version to SP3 in readiness for any repair installs I might do.

Comment

Well it will almost definitely be fine if both boards are using an nForce2 chipset.
              Ok thanks Sean, this method is definitely more 'graceful' than a repair install.

BTW. out of interest, on current motherboards such as the Asus p6t where the storage is SATA what would be the procedure for those? I had a look on my other system to make sure of the update option and realised that there isn't a standard Sata as such to update to. As I didn't have to use f6 to load any special drivers when I installed I'm curious as to what drivers windows used initially. Currently I have - Intel IC10R Ahci controller showing.

Good to know if that board ever gets changed.

Comment

Well keeping this on topic, having got the MSI board out I thought I'd do some photos of the bad caps. As you can see the West and south side look pretty bad.

The East, by the memory slots, hasn't leaked seemingly but it's worth a note that the MSI boards that the shop had, this cap in all 3 of their 'new' boards had gone like this - ie. no leaking, just bulging.

Someone tells me that the bad caps never go unless the motherboard is used yet these boards were all sealed and opened in front of me. The only explanation if the above statement is true is that they were all refurbished boards.
                Attached Files

Comment

Those boards are dirty and are used.
                  'Refurbished' [other than by the manufacturer] generally means they cleaned it and that's all.

">>"bad caps never go unless the motherboard is used"<<"
                  Not true although it's unusual for never used caps to swell.
                  I've personally seen Fuhjyyu leak in 3 year old but still factory shrink wrapped Antec PSUs.
                  Some one else posted about bloated [GSC I think it was] on a board they bought new but didn't use for several years.
                  - It happens.
                  If the chemistry in the cap is bad enough they don't need electricity to form gasses inside.
                  Mann-Made Global Warming.
                  - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                  Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                  -
                  You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                  -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
                    Some one else posted about bloated [GSC I think it was] on a board they bought new but didn't use for several years.
                    - It happens.
                    If the chemistry in the cap is bad enough they don't need electricity to form gasses inside.
                    Yeah , this is what I initially figured after the visit to the shop. The guy said something about 'condensation'. Hmm not sure about that particular explanation. What's interesting is that on those, supposedly new boards, the caps that had gone was invariably the one by the memory slot. On one of the 3 there were a few others in addition around the cpu (south side if I remember) . Also all of the bulging caps were of the 2200uf type.

If time were a factor rather than usage wouldn't we expect to see this happen on any of the caps? Perhaps the formulas are slightly different for the larger value caps?

I'm just curious.

Comment

Well after a couple of coughs Windows booted. I noticed that it had reverted automatically to the standard controllers. Initially I thought the nvidia drivers were working.

Only thing now is frustratingly neither of the Gigabit lan sockets seem to work even though the drivers are in and zonealarm recognised a new network. I've had to put my old pci 3com card back in for now.

Otherwise it all seems to be going well. Thanks for your advice

Comment

Ok thanks Sean, this method is definitely more 'graceful' than a repair install.

BTW. out of interest, on current motherboards such as the Asus p6t where the storage is SATA what would be the procedure for those? I had a look on my other system to make sure of the update option and realised that there isn't a standard Sata as such to update to. As I didn't have to use f6 to load any special drivers when I installed I'm curious as to what drivers windows used initially. Currently I have - Intel IC10R Ahci controller showing.

Good to know if that board ever gets changed.
                        set the SATA ports to IDE mode in the BIOS, boot up windows and uninstall the drivers, and instead of the ICH10R AHCI controller in the device manager, add standard IDE controller.

you'll need to set it to IDE mode on the new board too. it'll boot up and you can install the chipset/RAID/AHCI or whatever the manufacturer calls them drivers and set the BIOS back to AHCI mode.

Comment

Originally posted by Scenic View Post
                          set the SATA ports to IDE mode in the BIOS, boot up windows and uninstall the drivers, and instead of the ICH10R AHCI controller in the device manager, add standard IDE controller.

you'll need to set it to IDE mode on the new board too. it'll boot up and you can install the chipset/RAID/AHCI or whatever the manufacturer calls them drivers and set the BIOS back to AHCI mode.
                          Thanks, it's useful to know in case. I wondered about AHCI mode as I've heard that it can be a problem switching to that after. I may be getting confused on this though. AHCI mode enables hot swapping amongst other things as I remember.

Comment

Yeah , this is what I initially figured after the visit to the shop. The guy said something about 'condensation'. Hmm not sure about that particular explanation. What's interesting is that on those, supposedly new boards, the caps that had gone was invariably the one by the memory slot. On one of the 3 there were a few others in addition around the cpu (south side if I remember) . Also all of the bulging caps were of the 2200uf type.

If time were a factor rather than usage wouldn't we expect to see this happen on any of the caps? Perhaps the formulas are slightly different for the larger value caps?

I'm just curious.
                            Those supposedly new boards are not new. - They are used.

You only get condensation on electronics when it gets hot and then cools off in high humidity.

KZG are NOT known to fail 'on the shelf'.

Even when KZG do fail they often don't bloat at all and generally only bloat slightly.
                            When KZG pull a full blown 'hatch' like in those photos it's not only a sure sign they were used, they were used in an inadequately cooled case.

Someone is flat out lying to you. - That's all there is to it.
                            Mann-Made Global Warming.
                            - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                            -
                            You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                            -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
                              When KZG pull a full blown 'hatch' like in those photos it's not only a sure sign they were used, they were used in an inadequately cooled case.

Someone is flat out lying to you. - That's all there is to it.
                              Ok that's pretty clear and makes much more sense than any idea that these things will do that sitting on the shelf. If they were refurbished by MSI then my guess is they'd have known it wouldn't last. The seals were pretty much perfect so they'd been wrapped properly as if new which would make me think it's a factory refurb.

Comment

Working...
                              X