• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Spectroniq PLTV-3250 wont start

Originally posted by glen65
    Update:
    To turn the supply on you need to inject 3.3 volts at the terminal
    marked o/f on the socket where the 5 volt line is at.
    I imaging if one wanted to start it at the bench it
    it could be done by simply tapping off of the 5 volt standby line,
    with something to reduce the voltage.
    That was one of your original questions.
    Congratulations of your now working TV. You had invested on the new supply to find out but for that price you wouldn't find a TV that price with a backup power supply (that maybe can be used for other purposes in the meantime ...).
    There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
    • ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code
    • Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz
    • 16gb GSKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200
    • 1 M2 SSD + 2 WD Blue 1TB (Mirrored)
    • Windows 10 Pro x64
    • GeForce GT1050
      2 x Acer KA240H + 1 Vewsonic VP2130 21 (a cap replacement job )

Comment

Originally posted by eguevarae
      That was one of your original questions.
      Congratulations of your now working TV. You had invested on the new supply to find out but for that price you wouldn't find a TV that price with a backup power supply (that maybe can be used for other purposes in the meantime ...).
      I checked all over the place for service info for
      that set and came up empty. So there really wasn't much choice
      but to get a new supply. It also didn't help that I was misled
      into believing that one of the diodes was good. Thats what
      was killing the 5 volt standby to begin with. Normally there's no problem
      testing diodes in circuit buy simply using the diode test on
      my DMM. However the amount of leakage on this one was
      small enough to throw the reading off, giving it the appearance that
      it was ok. I was able to track down the fault doing comparison reading using an analog meter.
      Last edited by glen65; 02-22-2009, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Hello Glen,
        A question for you if I may,
        You emphasise the use of anaIog meter,

( I was able to track down the fault doing comparison reading using an analog meter. )

As a hobbyist, am I to take it that the DMM would not have done this, and if so can you explain to me why, please, thanks,
        bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bobdee
          Hello Glen,
          A question for you if I may,
          You emphasise the use of anaIog meter,

( I was able to track down the fault doing comparison reading using an analog meter. )

As a hobbyist, am I to take it that the DMM would not have done this, and if so can you explain to me why, please, thanks,
          bob
          It probably would have been fine to use my DMM for the comparison resistance checks, I did it mostly out of personal preference and to get a second opinion.

Comment

Thanks for the link Toasty,

I too am the proud owner of a dead proscan pltv-3250; and have had no luck replacing the suspect caps. The only other place I knew that had the part wanted twice as much, and I was riding the fence since I really don't know what else might be wrong with the set.

You may have freed up a little more space in our local landfill.

Comment

OK... I took the "Power Supply" outta my Protron PLTV-3250. I am going to attempt to replace the Capacitors that are bulged. (I only see two bulged capacitors) ... My question is when I removed the Power Supply, there are "two sockets right next to each other labeled CNS-4 and CNS-3.... Wich One do I plug the White Pluggy Thing back into ? I forgot

Comment

replace all caps. even ones that look fine are suspect. they fail without visual signs.
                sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

I'm fighting one of these also.

Had one given to me a year ago that was just out of warranty with sears that they wouldn't work on

I bought the PS then for $175.00 and it worked almost 1 year to the day and kicked off like I had pulled the plug

I see where I can get a PS now for around $59 bux but it really pains my arzz to do this every year for a 10 cent part

glen65
                  If you would please, I got confused on the above posts but, did you get yours to bench power on by injecting the 3.3 at [of] and did you get it to work for you in the set? A 3.3 battery should do that and without a schematic, I don't mind a little smoke or heat since I now have 2 units to fry.

test540va
                  CNS4 takes the cable from the board just left of the PS, CNS3 gets the cable from behind the chassis somewhere ... didn't trace it down

Thanks everyone ... interesting

Comment

Thanks for the reply, I will be sure to respond before the end of August on how this Process went, I am low on funds and can't afford the solder-gun n' stuff right now.... TO BE CONTINUED.

Comment

NO soldering gun!!

Unless you want to lift PCB traces and melt plastic.

A soldering iron 20 watts or so is what you need big difference .
                      Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Hello again, I soldered on 3 caps. I took a picture of the Board and Highlighted the Caps that got replaced. But nothing happened when I hooked it back up to the Monitor I guess i should go ahead and replace ALL capacitors on the board. Earlier in this Thread someone said they replaced Transistor (Q7) where is Q7 ? ? I can't find it, could someone help me find (Q7) ? ?
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Test540va; 08-05-2009, 02:55 PM. Reason: Incomplete

Comment

I forgot to ask: Does anybody know if the "MULTIMETER" in the picture above has the ability to check the Transistors and Capacitors on this PSU ? Thanks Again.

Comment

1. Use capacitors we recommand here.
                            2. Q7 if you can't find it on component side or nor on solder side (SMD), the chances is that PSU is different.

3. Multimeter will only measure capacitance not ESR which is seperate meter made for measuring ESR. If caps says capxon, prudent to replace all. Carefully measure voltage on the secondary side (DC outputs with your multimeter on DC setting.) Unplug the PSU and remove from TV, check the big cap for stored voltage with meter first to prevent surprises and use 100K resistor to slowly discharge the cap. Next multimeter on diode mode, check the secondary diodes for shorts or opens.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

no it does not.
                              sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

OK first I have found another Forum here : http://www.circuitwork.com/archive/T.../msg00295.html

This guys says :

I've repaired about six of these, so far. You will need to replace all
                                > capacitors (in the power supply) that are bulging, or measuring high ESR.
                                > If you don't have a ESR meter, I can give you a list of 6-8 capacitors to
                                > replace blindly. You will also need to change a surface mount NPN
                                > Transistor (Q7, I think), I use a FMMT2222A and you will need to change a
                                > surface mount 15v zener diode (D4 or D7), next to Q7.
                                > That will fix it about half of the time.
                                >
                                > Sometimes you will also have to change IC1 (a 16 pin surface mount IC).
                                > Sometimes you will also have to change Q1 and Q2, both are 2SK3667 (I
                                > think), they will measure short if they are bad.
                                > And once I had to replace another surface mount IC (8 pin) in the primary
                                > section.

from what he says I want to replace the 15v Zener Diode ? can someone tell me if the CIRCLED component in the Picture is correct ?

I also found Q7 but it is soooo tiny, I also circled it in a different picture, can someone tell me if this is Right ?

I went to Radio Shack for the 15v Zener Diode, all they had were 12.5v Zeners so I found these on EBAY. Are these the proper replacements ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/15V-1-2-watt-Zen...d=p3286.c0.m14
                                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Test540va
                                  OK first I have found another Forum here : http://www.circuitwork.com/archive/T.../msg00295.html

This guys says :

I've repaired about six of these, so far. You will need to replace all
                                  > capacitors (in the power supply) that are bulging, or measuring high ESR.
                                  > If you don't have a ESR meter, I can give you a list of 6-8 capacitors to
                                  > replace blindly. You will also need to change a surface mount NPN
                                  > Transistor (Q7, I think), I use a FMMT2222A and you will need to change a
                                  > surface mount 15v zener diode (D4 or D7), next to Q7.
                                  > That will fix it about half of the time.
                                  >
                                  > Sometimes you will also have to change IC1 (a 16 pin surface mount IC).
                                  > Sometimes you will also have to change Q1 and Q2, both are 2SK3667 (I
                                  > think), they will measure short if they are bad.
                                  > And once I had to replace another surface mount IC (8 pin) in the primary
                                  > section.

from what he says I want to replace the 15v Zener Diode ? can someone tell me if the CIRCLED component in the Picture is correct ?

I also found Q7 but it is soooo tiny, I also circled it in a different picture, can someone tell me if this is Right ?

I went to Radio Shack for the 15v Zener Diode, all they had were 12.5v Zeners so I found these on EBAY. Are these the proper replacements ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/15V-1-2-watt-Zen...d=p3286.c0.m14
                                  First rule of thumb: Don't go blindly changing components because someone says this worked for him. Further, when he sprinkles lots of 'I think' s in the suggestions, be very, very cautious. Note that he referred to the zener as a surface mount package, the one you circled is a through-hole type.

I feel like a challenge tonight, so let's work this one out together. The first step will be to take a picture of the bottom of the pc board. Turn off the flash, have plenty of room light, and use a tripod or steady the camera so it isn't shaking. I will try to identify the points to measure.

The other thing to do is to hook the board up and measure the voltage across the large cap. Use the DMM you pictured, set to the 1000 VDC scale. I've indicated where the red and black probes should go (red probe to cap lead in red circle, black probe - well, you get the idea. Report the voltage you measure.

PlainBill
                                  Attached Files
                                  For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

OK I hooked up the DMM just like you said and it read 157v....... I think it is a 160v PSU so that is good, right ? I also supplied a pic of the back of the board with no Flash. hope you can read it. T H A N K You very much for any support.
                                    Attached Files
                                    Last edited by Test540va; 08-05-2009, 08:57 PM. Reason: annotation

Comment

Its now 11:07 pm here, got to give up for the night. Please check back, i will continue to work on this thing and post here daily

Comment

Originally posted by Test540va
                                        OK I hooked up the DMM just like you said and it read 157v....... I think it is a 160v PSU so that is good, right ? I also supplied a pic of the back of the board with no Flash. hope you can read it. T H A N K You very much for any support.
                                        Excellent picture. On a 21" monitor it is easy to see everything.

Nominal voltage across the cap should be about 165 volts; 157 volts is within tolerances. That tells me the AC input, RF filters, and bridge rectifier are all fine.

I have identified 6 points on the output side of the board and crudely marked them A - F on the picture. Check the voltages on those. Set the meter to the 200 VDC range to start; reduce it to the 20 VDC range for any pins that measure less than 20 VDC. The black probe will go to the area I have outlined in black. The red probe will go to the other areas I have outlined, report the voltages you read at each.

Bill
                                        Attached Files
                                        For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Sorry spent all day at work... unfortunately I won't be able to continue working on this project till Monday afternoon will be busy with previous engagements. but i do have one question for ya.... when I am measuring the voltage on the back of the PSU I assume it should be unplugged, correct ?

Comment

Working...
                                          X