Caps for DC blocking in Playstation 1.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caps for DC blocking in Playstation 1.

Hi. I've removed the original DC blocking Caps after the DAC in the PS1 and now need to replace them with 2 100uF or equivalent Non-polar caps (so the guide says). There are so many on the market I really don't know where to start. I've read that Panasonic and Rubycon are good. Any suggestions. Here's the guide I'm following:

http://www.dogbreath.de/PS1/output/output.html

Cheers
    Blake.

Re: Caps for DC blocking in Playstation 1.

I have used Panasonic SU series in quite a few pieces of audio equipment with good results.

Digikey - Panasonic SU, 100uf 16v

Panasonic SU datasheet
    Machina improba! Vel mihi ede potum vel mihi redde nummos meos!

Comment

Re: Caps for DC blocking in Playstation 1.

I don't have the patience to read that page in detail, right now (too much sugar in my system) but it appears all this mod does is take the line-level signal from the DAC and bypass the internal output stage to exit directly through the RCA jacks. If this is so, then I would try two things: First, just try it without the filter caps. Why? Because most anything you output it to is going to have it's own input filter caps as a safeguard against offending devices who don't utilize output caps. Second, if it does end up being a problem without the output caps then I would decide against using internal output caps, rather moving them out-board. Why? Because this way physical size is not a problem. And since this appears to be only line-level and not an amplified signal, it's not likely that you need something as gigantic as a 100uF capacitor. As an example, one of my heavily modified SbLive! soundcards had a 10uF electrolytic between the DAC and a line-level preamp IC which I changed to a 0.47uF polyester film with no adverse effects--in fact it only improved the sound, but with no capacitor I had crazy noise so it WAS NECESSARY, but the 10uF was not warranted. My point was going to be that I would update the output capacitors to a film since they sound so much better than electrolytics and they become quite physically large above 0.47uF so moving them outboard, perhaps into a small break-out box would be ideal. Especially, since every device reacts differently/requires different values of blocking caps and you could play with different values on a given device.

If you insist on using a bipolar electrolytic then the Panasonic SU which RJ suggested would be my recommendation as well... although, I think Digikey has two values of Nichicon MUSE ES in stock, one of which happen to be a 10uF IIRC and that would be fine, too.
      Presonus Audiobox USB, Schiit Magni 3, Sony MDR-V700

Comment

Working...
      X