need help with caps on a plasma tv power supply board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: need help with caps on a plasma tv power supply board

ill be on the pc at the same time as doing all of this so ill refresh regularly and update

Comment

ok so i just checked P11 on 20DVC it reads 0.00 untill i press the power button and then it jumps between (depending on how many times i click and if i hold the power button) 1.16-6.50v and after that it will settle at 1.00 untill the 3rd click after 15 sec anf it will slowly decrease to 0.00

i tested the SN2 on a 200k and 20k ohm and its showing a short 0.00

just tested P6 and from top to bottom i get (on a 20DCV)
      15Vs= 1.16-6.50 (same as P11) untill the relays click then it goes to 0.00
      GND= good
      15Vc= 1.16-6.50 same as above fades after last click
      GND= good
      F15V= 15.74 fades after the last click to 0.00
      F15V= 15.75 fades after the last click to 0.00
      GND= good
      GND= good
      F-STBY-on= 2.95 jumps down to 0.00 after last click
      STBY5V= 4.96 untill i click power then drops to 4.29 then back up to 4.96
      STBY5V-ON= 0.02 I click power it jumps to 1.01 then back to 0.02
      SOS4-PS= 0.00 to 0.17 after power button click
      SO= 0.00 no change at all
      S1= 0.00 no change at all
      1= 3.01 with first relay click after the second it drops to 0.00 after the last click 0.00

All of this testing was done on a 20DVC scale

these tests were done with a 2ok ohm setting

ss11= open no short
      p11= 8.50-8.51 after 30 sec of connection
      SN2= 0.00 shorted
      P2= 0.00 shorted (damn)
      P9= not shorted open

P35 this will be tested from left to right numbered from 1-4 and tested on a 20DCV scale

1= 4.47v untill final click then 0.00
      2= 0.00 shorted
      3= 2.89 drops to 0.95 and hold untill final click then 0.00
      4= 3.79 drops to 0.95 and hold untill final click then 0.00

now ill test p35 on a 20k ohm scale
      1= 0.00 untill i push power then goes to 0.02 then after last click 0.00
      2= open no short no change
      3= had to switch to a 200k scale maxxed out the 20k) 22.5 after 1 min on 200k ohm
      4= 21.9 on 200k ohm after 30 sec

so what does all this mean? ive tested about everything i can i even tested to see if all of the cables in between the boards were shorted and found none that were

Comment

no one?

Comment

update on a 20k ohm scale the P2 connection jumps from 7.16 to 0.02 then to 0.01-0.00

does this mean its shorted? it only happens right as i plug the leads into the connector

Comment

I think we are just waiting for you to blow yourself up! I know nothing about plasmas but here are a couple of general electronic rules.
            NEVER replace a high voltage cap with a lower voltage cap ( Unless you know what you are doing or you are happy to trust someone advising you)

ONLY EVER test resistances with the power off and the machine unplugged for at least 15 minutes.
            No-ONE will ever tell you to do a resistance test with the power on. You are probably doing more damage as you go on.

And another

Do Not plug unplug leads with the power on

Last edited by selldoor; 07-23-2014, 01:56 PM.
            Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

the only way to test voltages from what i understand is to have power to the set,
              Last edited by 9302z28ss; 07-23-2014, 02:09 PM.

Comment

ok so right now im replacing the 50v cap with a 450 300uf cap and seeing if it powers the tv up

Comment

Originally posted by 9302z28ss View Post
                  the only way to test voltages from what i understand is to have power to the set,
                  Correct - However I am referring to this

now ill test p35 on a 20k ohm scale
                  1= 0.00 untill i push power then goes to 0.02 then after last click 0.00
                  2= open no short no change
                  3= had to switch to a 200k scale maxxed out the 20k) 22.5 after 1 min on 200k ohm
                  4= 21.9 on 200k ohm after 30 sec
                  Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair

Comment

i replaced that cap and the tv will act like it wants to power up no audio no video, red light comes on about 15 to 30 sec later it shuts off, no blinks no nothing, where do i go from here?

i tested the P2 connection again with the plug connected, testing on the vsus prong with the red lead and the black to ground i get 0 ohm with the connection unplugged and reading the same vsus prong to ground i get 93.7 on a 200k ohm scale,

so its looking like my SN board is bad?? my question is why arent i getting blinks anymore?

Comment

ah i see what youre saying selldoor, better safe then sorry, ill be more careful from now on

Comment

i replaced that cap and the tv will act like it wants to power up no audio no video, red light comes on about 15 to 30 sec later it shuts off, no blinks no nothing, where do i go from here?

i tested the P2 connection again with the plug connected, testing on the vsus prong with the red lead and the black to ground i get 0 ohm with the connection unplugged and reading the same vsus prong to ground i get 93.7 on a 200k ohm scale,

so its looking like my SN board is bad?? my question is why arent i getting blinks anymore?
                        So I would say you intial fault and 14 blink was most definitely shorted Vsus on the SN board. If you want to fix this, straight up you need one of those. As for no blinks anymore, no idea . Any chance we can get some photos uploaded of how it's all connected and any repair work you've done on the PSU.

If you connect everything up like it should be, but leave SN2 off, power the TV up and see if you can get a SOS.

Comment

i took a 6 min video of a test i did ill upload it to my youtube channel and post it and ill try what you said tw

Comment

make sure you leave a thumbs down and remarks on that SJ video stating the procedure was wrong and you had a shorted SN board.

Comment

just tried unplugging the SN2 and no blinks, now im stuck

Comment

oh i will, i just hope i can find a sn board for a good price, but still no blinks, anything else i can unplug to get a blink?

Comment

how do i remove the fuses on the p board? going to check those next
                                  Last edited by 9302z28ss; 07-23-2014, 04:00 PM.

Comment

could this be a problem???
                                    Attached Files

Comment

tw posted a pic of the tvs setup

and heres the video http://youtu.be/5YQ0YkY58oE

Comment

AC volts for mains measurement, if you had no AC in you would get no blinks.
                                        Calm down, stop jumping ahead, follow tw's advice because it's confusing me and no doubt confusing him too
                                        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                                        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

could this be a problem???
                                          I just dont get you at all????

Problem - Noooooooo Wayyyy

You have a meter with a flat battery which means any testing is likely to show incorrect results.
                                          You test resistance with Power on
                                          You replace caps irrespective of voltage.

Now you appear to have a meter set on 20vDC plugged into 120 AC.
                                          I may be wrong - hopefully?

Comment

Working...
                                          X