60pv450 LG plasma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

60pv450 LG plasma

Well this is my first post so please be gentle. I fix tv's as a hobby. It gives me satifaction if I can save a plasma or lcd from the dump. With everyones help on this forum, I have fixed a bunch of tv's just by reading the posts. My question is probably simple, but I am working on a 60PV450 LG plasma with sound and no display. I have all the proper voltages on the power supply, but checking the Vscn on the Y sustain, I only measure about 23 volts. I know it should be about 150 volts. I did remove both buffers and its still at 23 volts. I would assume the voltage is generated on the Y sustain in which case I was going to be looking at replacements. I did read that this particular plasma had trouble with the main board. If any one of you pro's out there could let me know if I am on the right track, it would be appreciated. I would like to fix at component level but everything seems to check out--nothng shorted so I thought the best to replace the y board. My Vs is 201 and Va is 55 and the tv stays on with sound. Thanks again for any help on this.

Re: 60pv450 LG plasma

I will be gentle in telling you that posting pictures of the boards etc would be VERY helpful...
    Proud owner of dozens of broken TV's and many,many,many boards.

Our website and passion:http://hollenhundshepherds.com/

Comment

I will attempt to post pictures, but I was mostly interested in the theory behind Vscn voltage. Is it always produced by the Y sustain or is it started from another board. Thanks

Comment

Almost always Y-sustain. It is floated above the Y-sustain FGND output (the main output to the plasma panel) and is used by the buffer boards to select the row to apply pixel data to. The image is loaded into the panel using this, then "sustained" (made to light up) in a number of sequential sub fields (the Z-sustain drives the opposite end of the panel but it is only necessary to select one side using the buffer ICs), which gradually builds the image on the panel.

Vscn typically in 130V to 150V region.
        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Thank you TOM66, so I guess my best attempt to repair this because Vscn is only 23 volts, would be to replace the y sustain. The voltage stays the same with buffers connected or disconnected.

Comment

Yes, that would be a reasonable approach.
            Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
            For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

I use the 60PV400 and for a cheaper plasma its pretty nice and I have it all dialed in too.

The parts are pretty cheap for these and from what I read the Ysus is a common failure on these units.

Mine has low hours on it and I bought it used.

Good luck, let me know if you want my Expert 2 20p IRE calibrations (you can tweak and tune them to fit your viewing pleasure).

Comment

I've never really liked LG plasmas for the black level but the brightness and colour accuracy is stunning. Build quality is also pretty good. You can tweak the black level; I've managed to reduce it to about half by my eye on a 50PS3000. Adjust SetUP, SetDN, -Vy, Ve and Vs to tweak it. LG are extremely generous in how they drive the plasma panel so there's lots of room to lower it without causing issues.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                  I've never really liked LG plasmas for the black level but the brightness and colour accuracy is stunning. Build quality is also pretty good. You can tweak the black level; I've managed to reduce it to about half by my eye on a 50PS3000. Adjust SetUP, SetDN, -Vy, Ve and Vs to tweak it. LG are extremely generous in how they drive the plasma panel so there's lots of room to lower it without causing issues.
                  Not to clutter up his repair thread, I might have to have you tell me more about this so I too can get some deeper blacks.

Funny this 2008 F5084 Sammy I got here destroys this LG as far as black levels go. Pretty close as far as everything else goes. The LG kills the Sammy in refresh though 600hz vs what ever the Sammy is. I do got to admit the FPT-5084 is a beautiful beast. The one I got sitting here at 11k hours on it and not a single sign of burn in.

Just need to work on the PS as it clicks several times before coming on.

Comment

I will try to get a Y sustain and will post my results. Thanks for your help, I feel more comfortable replacing the Y board with the info I got.

Comment

Thought I would update my repair. I got a Y sustain board for $30.00 and decided to change out both buffers for $44.00. I still had no display and very little Vscn. Scratched my head and resumed checking. I guess I made an error when checking voltages on the power supply. I had 55 volts on Va and 201 on Vs. But heres the catch. I was checking on the Z sustain connector for voltages which is where I reported my readings. The power supply has two identical connectors, one to the Z and one to the Y. The Y connector only showed .8 volts for the Va. I knew the 55 volts had to just bridge from one connector to the other so an inspection thru a magnifying glass showed a hairline crack half way between the power supply. I scraped to get to the copper trace and then solder bridged the crack and guess what? It works!!! Sometimes I guess you can assume things about readings but I learned a valuable lesson and maybe spent $74.00 for nothing other than a learning experience. Thank you everybody for your replies. Hope my reply helps somebody out there

Comment

Originally posted by gdawg View Post
                        Thought I would update my repair. I got a Y sustain board for $30.00 and decided to change out both buffers for $44.00. I still had no display and very little Vscn. Scratched my head and resumed checking. I guess I made an error when checking voltages on the power supply. I had 55 volts on Va and 201 on Vs. But heres the catch. I was checking on the Z sustain connector for voltages which is where I reported my readings. The power supply has two identical connectors, one to the Z and one to the Y. The Y connector only showed .8 volts for the Va. I knew the 55 volts had to just bridge from one connector to the other so an inspection thru a magnifying glass showed a hairline crack half way between the power supply. I scraped to get to the copper trace and then solder bridged the crack and guess what? It works!!! Sometimes I guess you can assume things about readings but I learned a valuable lesson and maybe spent $74.00 for nothing other than a learning experience. Thank you everybody for your replies. Hope my reply helps somebody out there

Learning experience sure, but if you retest your old parts and they work you would always sell them to get your funds back or keep them for future repairs!

74.00 is pretty light :P Glad you got it up and running!

Comment

Yes, $74.00 is a cheap learning experience. Never thought to check both connectors, taught me a lesson. I usually keep the parts for spares or rob parts off them. I hate selling electronics on ebay as you usually get a buyer that just buys parts to check if it fixes and then gets a refund. Just a hassle.

Comment

I got the same issue on my LG. Going to have to reference your posts when troubleshooting. Thanks for the followup.

Comment

Working...
                            X