Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacement Capacitors for PC Power & Cooling, Inc. Turbo-Cool 450ATX Power Supply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Replacement Capacitors for PC Power & Cooling, Inc. Turbo-Cool 450ATX Power Suppl

Interesting since it seems like they can just sell the same stuff at different offices.

Can one actually replace the aluminum caps with polymers for those that something comparable is available while keeping the other ones the same as the original?

Speaking of which, it appears Panasonic has bought Sanyo and now Sanyo is part of Panasonic, I thought they went bankrupt because of all the lithium-ion battery issues.

Would this work as a replacement for the Sanyo OS-CON 25v 2.2uF 6mmx7.5mm Polymer cap since it seems Panasonic's lowest is 6.8uF which is a little over 3x the original capacitance?
    http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...321-ND/4204158

As for the other PSU-grade capacitors, I thought you weren't in the US so would it actually be pretty expensive for shipping even though the caps themselves may be cheap in price?

Comment

Re: Replacement Capacitors for PC Power & Cooling, Inc. Turbo-Cool 450ATX Power Suppl

Why expensive? Airmail is from like 5 bucks, depends on weight and so. The other way arround it's expensive like hell…

It's somewhat complicated now. For example, Panasonic is already killing Sanyo Eneloop and new batteries are Panasonic Eneloop. As with caps, who knows. They sold their wet-electrolytics to Suncon (Sunelec brand) which supposedly was actually manufacturing the caps anyway. Maybe because of regulations? They ditched many Sanyo divisions because the already got simialr ones. Because Panasonic was not making polymers IIR, so they kept OS-CON?

As for good polymers, you may check X-CON (Man Yue, Samxon is their wet electrolytic brand), Nichicon or Chemi-Con as well if OS-CON/Panasonic is not making that anymore.
      Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
      Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Interesting, I forgot all about airmail and was thinking registered mail. LOL. Ofcourse not knowing the prices outside the US for parts, it's hard to tell.

I forgot to ask a question but what do the D numbers mean since I noticed you mentioned D5, D8, D10, D12, D15,

Yes, Eneloop was what I was thinking about earlier when I was thinking of their rechargeable batteries. I thought Panasonic would just be using the Sanyo technology in their stuff while selling it off for money as they bought out Pioneer's Plasma patents and engineers even though they never created a Kuro killer yet. How is the quality and durability of X-CON/Samxon? The name sounds chinese. Am I correct that for Polymers, only the SMD are the ones that are all metal on the outside while the radial type would still have that wrapping like the Aluminum caps like the barrel?
        Last edited by Almighty1; 09-16-2014, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Shortcut for diameter

Samxon does a few bad lines (those green GF/GK which you can find bloated in PSUs), otherwise quality is good. I consider them the only quality non-japanese company for these caps (there are some good companies for high-voltage high-capacity caps in Europe as well). X-CON is one of the most used brands of polymers caps at all.

Depends. Most polymers do not have heatshrink sleeve on them, but some do (Fujitsu Fcap, OS-CON). Many wet electrolytics however seem the same, casing without sleeve. Mostly smaller general purpose SMD caps. Even Chemi-Con does such.
          Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

Is that bad brown corrosive/conductive glue on the soldered side of the board?
            Glue on the top side also?
            Attached Files
            Never stop learning
            Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
            http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Behemot:
              Makes sense since it's like the WDH for Width, Dimensions and Height.

I asked about Samxon because even on the main badcaps.net page, other than the Japanese brands, Samxon is the only other thing on the list. I know in the audio/video world, Oppo uses Elna capacitors which I think are Japanese but they don't seem to make capacitors for PSUs or motherboards. Seems like every Polymer cap has the word CON somewhere in their name for the branding.

Interesting, I always thought the polymers used in current motherboards and such were SMD and not the radial mounting type, although I haven't really looked at it closely. I have never seen a wet electrolytics without the heatsink sleeve though although for the 200V 1000uF Teapo, it seems like even the top of the capacitor has the black plastic where usually you would see the aluminum.

budm:
              Not sure what it is but it was basically what was between the copper board and the main PCB other than the two solder joints to keep the boards together so it's leveled so one side won't have a bigger gap than the other it seems as the side of the copper board facing the main PCB is not touching the main PCB, only the copper side rests against the power supply chassis.

Comment

From what I can tell from the picture, the darker brown are dry out bad glue and you see the lighter color smaller size glue that did not turn brown yet, the dark brown section is probably brittler and comes off easily, you should remove it and inspect that real well to see if the traces is damaged, that conductive glue can also cause malfunction to the circuit.
                https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=34692
                Never stop learning

Comment

Thanks for pointing that out budm, what can I use to remove the glue and what can I use in it's place that I can get easily?

Comment

I do that mechanically with sharp screwdriver (but be cautious not to cut the paths here), with long nose pliers or with dental explorer. There is not much possibilities to soften this thing.

Comment

There is atleast 3 spots where there is this glue as you can see on the left edge. I think it's that clear plastic tube right above where you circle in the picture that basically levels the board. Wouldn't something like Goof Off be able to remove it since I remember that was how people removed things like thermal pads of heatsinks. Seems like I can just use hot glue in it's place as that should be non-conductive. I just tried taking it off, the almost black one is like rubber so it will break off, it's the ones closer to the board that is light brown that is harder to take off as it's brittle.
                      Last edited by Almighty1; 09-17-2014, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Almighty1 View Post
                        Seems like every Polymer cap has the word CON somewhere in their name for the branding.
                        Lots of capacitor brands have "CON" in the name, it is short for condenser the old British term for capacitors.

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
                          I am not sure about the structure exactly, but what is now NCC was the original Chemi-Con in Japan.
                          UCC (United Chemi-Con) is the name of the company that was formed when NCC (Nippon Chemi-Con) merged with (bought out) Marcon (another Japanese capacitor manufacture primarily known for audio caps).

I haven't seen anything branded Marcon in a long time though so I think they have all been discontinued or re-branded NCC, not sure if UCC sells caps under other brands but these are the only ones I'm aware of.
                          Last edited by dmill89; 09-17-2014, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dmill89 View Post
                            Lots of capacitor brands have "CON" in the name, it is short for condenser the old British term for capacitors.
                            I meant for Polymer capacitor branding since I read Sanyo OS-CON actually stood for Organic SemiCONductor, hopefully someone didn't make that up just to remember the name easier but OS-CON is a Sanyo trademarked name which is now used by Panasonic. Thought other Polymer names were Aluminum Organic Polymer Capacitors (AO-CAPS), Organic Conductive Polymer Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitor (OC-CON), Functional Polymer Capacitors (FPCAP).
                            Last edited by Almighty1; 09-17-2014, 09:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dmill89 View Post
                              UCC (United Chemi-Con) is the name of the company that was formed when NCC (Nippon Chemi-Con) merged with (bought out) Marcon (another Japanese capacitor manufacture primarily known for audio caps).

I haven't seen anything branded Marcon in a long time though so I think they have all been discontinued or re-branded NCC, not sure if UCC sells caps under other brands but these are the only ones I'm aware of.
                              From the UCC website:
                              http://www.chemi-con.com/index.php?o...id=43&Itemid=3

"United Chemi-Con, a wholly owned subsidiary of Nippon Chemi-Con, was established in the United States in 1970. The company is the largest manufacturer and supplier of aluminum electrolytic capacitors in North America, with more than 8,000 unique products available.

United Chemi-Con is headquartered in Rosemont, Illinois (Change to Rolling Meadows, Illinois), with manufacturing and warehouse facilities located in Brea, California (Change to Buena Park, California). and Lansing, North Carolina. "

If one believes that statement, it would seem like UCC makes their own capacitors in the U.S. but maybe the reality is United Chemi-Con, Europe Chemi-con and Nippon Chemi-con all sell exactly the same physical product lines in their own geographical areas all around the world since it seems even on a capacitor, you would still see the same exact shield used as their logo except it doesn't have United Chemi-Con, Europe Chemi-con or Nippon Chemi-con wording inside the shield like they use for their company info in those three areas.

A example is this capacitor, it can be sold as a United Chemi-Con, Europe Chemi-Con or even Nippon Chemi-con:
                              http://partstore.langsungjadi.com/in...roduct_id=2040

Wikipedia seems to mention they are one of the best capacitor makers along with Hitachi, does anyone even sell Hitachi caps because it seems so far I have not seen that one mentioned as a replacement.
                              Last edited by Almighty1; 09-17-2014, 10:19 PM.

Comment

budm:

Took me about 15 minutes, basically I used Goo Gone with a toothbrush and then used a mini flathead jewelers screwdriver, the lighter colors as in yellow to medium brown were the ones harder to get off since it was hard while the black colored area was closer to feeling like good year tire rubber and wasn't that hard to get out. I then rinsed it with water followed by 70% Isopropanol as I read Goo Gone uses petroleum so wanted to be safe than sorry. So basically got 99% of it away including cleaning the burned flux. The traces are fine except about 1% of the the green coating in the solder mask came off exposing the bare copper. Looks like they caused their own scratch during manufacturing with that big black line.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Good job, nice and clean.
                                  Never stop learning

Comment

budm,

Thanks for the pointer and especially the quick education on surface mask, traces yesterday or else I wouldn't have known what I was doing.

Comment

dmill89, Thanks for your input! Finally had a chance to go through the post and I'll only post the stuff I need more input in.

Thanks for the explanation on low esr and low impedance are the same thing, since we are dealing with a PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool Power Supply, what would be considered the lowest ESR one can go? You raised a good point that PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cools are very over-built to begin with as far as capacitance is concerned.
                                      Speaking of which, does going higher in voltage and capacitance change the amperage rating for the AC side?

2 x 50v 10uF 6mmx13mm
                                      Candidates are: Nichicon PV 50v 10uF 5X11mm,
                                      Nichicon PM 50v 22uF 6.3X11mm Both are decent options, the PVs have a longer rated life (5,000 hrs. vs. 2,000 hrs.) so I would probably go with them

From your wording, it seems like "decent" would not be as good as "good" when it comes to a option, any thoughts what a "good" option would be?

1 x 25v 2.2uF 6mmx7.5mm - Seems like this is a Sanyo OS-CON polymer as c_hegge pointed out. Panasonic apparently took over Sanyo and now Panasonic has OS-CON under their name except they only make 6.8uF as the lowest capacitance as far as OS-CON goes, would this cause a problem or are there other good options available? I realize these are supposed to be very reliable but after 14 years and since I am replacing everything anyways, seems like it would be a good idea to replace this anyways even though I noticed there are other capacitors on the PCB which are not radial, I wonder if those last a long time or not.

4 x 50v 1uF 5mmx8mm
                                      Candidates are: Rubycon YXF 50v 1uF 5X11mm,
                                      I'd go with the Rubycons, best to stick with the same uf for the small capacitors in the control circuits if possible
                                      Any other good options for this one? I noticed for the YXF, there seems to be two versions, one is the 50YXF1M5X11 and the other is the 50YXF1MEFC5X11, wonder what is the difference between the two.

2 x 200v 1000uF 25mmx52mm
                                      Any recommended replacements for this? Looks like the Nichicon GU is probably the best price vs. performance right now
                                      other options include the Panasonic TS-ED (non-stock at digikey, you may be able to find them somewhere else), UCC KMS, and Nichicon GX (longer rated life but a bit more expensive)
                                      The Panasonic TS-ED seems to be at End of Life as Mouser has it:
                                      http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...R6PfWx6jh9s%3d
                                      Seems like the Panasonic TS-ED has a higher ripple current than the Nichicon GU, is this supposed to make it a better option as I noticed the life is still 3,000 hrs on both the Panasonic TS-ED and the Nichicon GU. The ESR info doesn't seem to be available on the Nichicon GU. This would make the Panasonic TS-ED a better price vs performance as it's $7.70 total for the Panasonic TS-ED vs $10.08 for the Nichicon GU. The UCC KMS seems to be 0.45mm too big as both the original capacitors is touching something on both sides if this is the one you're referring to:
                                      http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...460-ND/3528745
                                      The Nichicon GX is longer life 5,000 hrs vs 3,000 hrs (will it be a lot longer lasting in real world reliability? since I noticed that the ones in the PSU now are 85C rated and worked for 14 years while the supposedly longer life 10v 6800uF and 10v 4700uF caps seems to only last around 7 years as those were the ones replaced under warranty 7-8 years ago.) but basically costs $12.46 for the pair while having a lower ripple current than the Panasonic TS-ED which is 61% of the cost.

4 x 25v 100uF 7mmx12mm
                                      Candidates are: Rubycon ZLG 25v 100uF 6.3X11mm,
                                      Rubycon ZLJ 25v 150uF 6.3X11mm,
                                      Panasonic FR 25v 150uF 6.3X11.2mm I'd probably go with something like UCC KY, Nichicon PV/PW, etc. the ZLGs are a match in voltage/uf, but are ultra-low esr which are really intended for a motherboard not a PSU.
                                      Which ones would be considered good options for this one?

2 x 6.3v 1000uF 9mmx16mm
                                      Candidates are: Nichicon HZ 1000uf 6.3v 8X15mm,
                                      Nichicon HN 1000uf 6.3v 8X15mm,
                                      Nichicon HM 1000uF 6.3v 8X15mm,
                                      Rubycon MCZ 1200uf 6.3v 8mmx16mm,
                                      Nichicon HM 1200uf 6.3v 8X15mm,
                                      Nichicon HZ 1800uf 6.3v 8X20mm,
                                      Nichicon HN 1800uf 6.3v 8X20mm I'd probably bump up the voltage rating to 10v for these UCC KY or Nichicon PW, again HM, HZ, HN, and MCZ re ultra-low esr, not the best options for PSUshttp://www.digikey.com/product-detai...1504-ND/756020
                                      http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...1746-ND/589487
                                      Seems like the Nichicon PW has a 3,000hr vs the 6,000hr of the KY. Is the reason for 10v vs the 6.3v of the KY for the lower ESR and the higher ripple rating? Just realized the link you posted is 10mm and it seems like 9mm is the maximum the space allows as both spaces are pretty tight so my options seems to be:
                                      http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...1505-ND/756021

http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...1486-ND/756002

1 x 6.3v 47uF 6mmx8mm
                                      Candidates are: Rubycon ZL 10v 220uF 6.3X11mm,
                                      Rubycon ZLG 25v 100uF 6.3X11mm,
                                      Nichicon PM 35v 47uF 6.3X11mm
                                      Couldn't find anything with the same voltage with a lower
                                      capacitance that would be around 6mm in width as height
                                      doesn't matter that much. again I'd probably go to 10v, Nichicon PW are available in 10v 47uf in 5mm diameter http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...1732-ND/589473
                                      Seems like I can stick with 6.3v and end up with the same ESR and ripple as the 10v version:
                                      http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...1691-ND/589432
                                      Noticed that for these, it's 2,000 hrs as opposed to 5,000+ unless one goes with a higher impedance with a lower ripple rating. Ofcourse it seems the originals for these lasted 14 years which is longer than the supposedly longer life 10v 6800uF and 10v 4700uF caps seems to only last around 7 years as those were the ones replaced under warranty 7-8 years ago.)

1 x 25v 1000uF 11mmx21mm
                                      Candidates are: Rubycon ZLK 25v 1000uF 10X25mm,
                                      Rubycon ZLJ 25v 1000uF 10X20mm,
                                      United Chemi-Con KZH 25v 1000uF 10X25mm ZLJs are a little lower ESR than needed but are probably the best option out of those, UCC KY or Nichicon PW would probably be better options though, KZH is much lower ESR than should really be used in a PSU
                                      Seems like this is the one I should go with:
                                      http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...1554-ND/756070

2 x 16v 4700uF 14mmx41mm
                                      Cannot find anything that is 4700+uF at 16v or higher UCC KYB are available in 16v 4700uf 12.5 mm, UCC KYs will also work if you can fit a 16 mm cap
                                      http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...874-ND/4843684
                                      http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...1538-ND/756054
                                      c_hegge mentioned Panasonic FR also had:
                                      http://www.digikey.com/product-searc...=0&pageSize=25
                                      Seems like 13.5mm is the max I can fit so it's between the UCC KY and the Panasonic FR.
                                      UCC KY is 18 mOhm impedance/3,14A Ripple while the Panasonic FR is 12 mOhm impedance/3.75A Ripple so seems like the Panasonic FR has lower impedance and higher ripple, not sure if that is bad for a power supply or not.

Comment

Speaking of which, does going higher in voltage and capacitance change the amperage rating for the AC side?
                                        If you massively increase the capacitance (>150%) of the primary caps it can increase the input spike/surge when it is first plugged in (potentially blowing the fuse) however the primary caps in this PSU are more then sufficient so there is no real reason to increase the capacitance on these.

2 x 50v 10uF 6mmx13mm
                                        Candidates are: Nichicon PV 50v 10uF 5X11mm,
                                        Nichicon PM 50v 22uF 6.3X11mm Both are decent options, the PVs have a longer rated life (5,000 hrs. vs. 2,000 hrs.) so I would probably go with them

From your wording, it seems like "decent" would not be as good as "good" when it comes to a option, any thoughts what a "good" option would be?
                                        Nothing wrong with the PVs, UCC KYs would probably be my first choice since they have similar specs and are half the price.

1 x 25v 2.2uF 6mmx7.5mm - Seems like this is a Sanyo OS-CON polymer as c_hegge pointed out. Panasonic apparently took over Sanyo and now Panasonic has OS-CON under their name except they only make 6.8uF as the lowest capacitance as far as OS-CON goes, would this cause a problem or are there other good options available? I realize these are supposed to be very reliable but after 14 years and since I am replacing everything anyways, seems like it would be a good idea to replace this anyways even though I noticed there are other capacitors on the PCB which are not radial, I wonder if those last a long time or not.
                                        Just about any polymer cap should last a long time, even they Chinese/Taiwanese ones generally outlast even the best electrolytics and the Japanese ones generally outlast the useful life of the device they are installed in by a wide margin.

4 x 50v 1uF 5mmx8mm
                                        Candidates are: Rubycon YXF 50v 1uF 5X11mm,
                                        I'd go with the Rubycons, best to stick with the same uf for the small capacitors in the control circuits if possible
                                        Any other good options for this one? I noticed for the YXF, there seems to be two versions, one is the 50YXF1M5X11 and the other is the 50YXF1MEFC5X11, wonder what is the difference between the two.
                                        The only difference between the two YXFs is packaging. Other options would be the Nichicon PV or PW (note: PWs are only rated for 2,000 hrs. @105C vs. 5,000 hrs. for the YXF and PV).

2 x 200v 1000uF 25mmx52mm
                                        Any recommended replacements for this? Looks like the Nichicon GU is probably the best price vs. performance right now
                                        other options include the Panasonic TS-ED (non-stock at digikey, you may be able to find them somewhere else), UCC KMS, and Nichicon GX (longer rated life but a bit more expensive)
                                        The Panasonic TS-ED seems to be at End of Life as Mouser has it:
                                        http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...R6PfWx6jh9s%3d
                                        Seems like the Panasonic TS-ED has a higher ripple current than the Nichicon GU, is this supposed to make it a better option as I noticed the life is still 3,000 hrs on both the Panasonic TS-ED and the Nichicon GU. The ESR info doesn't seem to be available on the Nichicon GU. This would make the Panasonic TS-ED a better price vs performance as it's $7.70 total for the Panasonic TS-ED vs $10.08 for the Nichicon GU. The UCC KMS seems to be 0.45mm too big as both the original capacitors is touching something on both sides if this is the one you're referring to:
                                        http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...460-ND/3528745
                                        The Nichicon GX is longer life 5,000 hrs vs 3,000 hrs (will it be a lot longer lasting in real world reliability? since I noticed that the ones in the PSU now are 85C rated and worked for 14 years while the supposedly longer life 10v 6800uF and 10v 4700uF caps seems to only last around 7 years as those were the ones replaced under warranty 7-8 years ago.) but basically costs $12.46 for the pair while having a lower ripple current than the Panasonic TS-ED which is 61% of the cost.
                                        Input caps on a non PFC/passive PFC power supply are very low stress so life isn't too important with these. I would definitely go with the Panasonics if you found them in stock and they are much cheaper than the other options.

4 x 25v 100uF 7mmx12mm
                                        Candidates are: Rubycon ZLG 25v 100uF 6.3X11mm,
                                        Rubycon ZLJ 25v 150uF 6.3X11mm,
                                        Panasonic FR 25v 150uF 6.3X11.2mm I'd probably go with something like UCC KY, Nichicon PV/PW, etc. the ZLGs are a match in voltage/uf, but are ultra-low esr which are really intended for a motherboard not a PSU.
                                        Which ones would be considered good options for this one?
                                        The KYs would probably be my first choice, PV second (due to higher price) and PW 3rd. (due to lower rated life of PWs).

2 x 6.3v 1000uF 9mmx16mm
                                        Candidates are: Nichicon HZ 1000uf 6.3v 8X15mm,
                                        Nichicon HN 1000uf 6.3v 8X15mm,
                                        Nichicon HM 1000uF 6.3v 8X15mm,
                                        Rubycon MCZ 1200uf 6.3v 8mmx16mm,
                                        Nichicon HM 1200uf 6.3v 8X15mm,
                                        Nichicon HZ 1800uf 6.3v 8X20mm,
                                        Nichicon HN 1800uf 6.3v 8X20mm I'd probably bump up the voltage rating to 10v for these UCC KY or Nichicon PW, again HM, HZ, HN, and MCZ re ultra-low esr, not the best options for PSUshttp://www.digikey.com/product-detai...1504-ND/756020
                                        http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...1746-ND/589487
                                        Seems like the Nichicon PW has a 3,000hr vs the 6,000hr of the KY. Is the reason for 10v vs the 6.3v of the KY for the lower ESR and the higher ripple rating? Just realized the link you posted is 10mm and it seems like 9mm is the maximum the space allows as both spaces are pretty tight so my options seems to be:
                                        http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...1505-ND/756021

http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...1486-ND/756002
                                        I'd probably go with the 10v caps (1st. link you provided) , "good" 6.3V caps should be fine for the minor rails (3.3V/5V) but it is nice to have the overhead of 10V caps and that is what most PSUs use on those rails if they will fit.

1 x 6.3v 47uF 6mmx8mm
                                        Candidates are: Rubycon ZL 10v 220uF 6.3X11mm,
                                        Rubycon ZLG 25v 100uF 6.3X11mm,
                                        Nichicon PM 35v 47uF 6.3X11mm
                                        Couldn't find anything with the same voltage with a lower
                                        capacitance that would be around 6mm in width as height
                                        doesn't matter that much. again I'd probably go to 10v, Nichicon PW are available in 10v 47uf in 5mm diameter http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...1732-ND/589473
                                        Seems like I can stick with 6.3v and end up with the same ESR and ripple as the 10v version:
                                        http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...1691-ND/589432
                                        Noticed that for these, it's 2,000 hrs as opposed to 5,000+ unless one goes with a higher impedance with a lower ripple rating. Ofcourse it seems the originals for these lasted 14 years which is longer than the supposedly longer life 10v 6800uF and 10v 4700uF caps seems to only last around 7 years as those were the ones replaced under warranty 7-8 years ago.)
                                        "good" 6.3V caps should be fine, but as long as they fit there is no reason not to go with 10V caps for the additional overhead, there generally isn't much if any cost difference between the two. Generally a 10V cap will last longer at 3.3V/5V than a 6.3V cap will.

1 x 25v 1000uF 11mmx21mm
                                        Candidates are: Rubycon ZLK 25v 1000uF 10X25mm,
                                        Rubycon ZLJ 25v 1000uF 10X20mm,
                                        United Chemi-Con KZH 25v 1000uF 10X25mm ZLJs are a little lower ESR than needed but are probably the best option out of those, UCC KY or Nichicon PW would probably be better options though, KZH is much lower ESR than should really be used in a PSU
                                        Seems like this is the one I should go with:
                                        http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...1554-ND/756070
                                        Yep, those KYs are a good option.

2 x 16v 4700uF 14mmx41mm
                                        Cannot find anything that is 4700+uF at 16v or higher UCC KYB are available in 16v 4700uf 12.5 mm, UCC KYs will also work if you can fit a 16 mm cap
                                        http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...874-ND/4843684
                                        http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...1538-ND/756054
                                        c_hegge mentioned Panasonic FR also had:
                                        http://www.digikey.com/product-searc...=0&pageSize=25
                                        Seems like 13.5mm is the max I can fit so it's between the UCC KY and the Panasonic FR.
                                        UCC KY is 18 mOhm impedance/3,14A Ripple while the Panasonic FR is 12 mOhm impedance/3.75A Ripple so seems like the Panasonic FR has lower impedance and higher ripple, not sure if that is bad for a power supply or not.
                                        Higher ripple rating is always a good thing (generally higher ripple rating = longer life) Impedance varies based on what the PSU was designed for sometimes (particularly in older PSUs) lower impedance will actually reduce filtering performance. Given the age of the PSU (and significantly higher price of FRs) I'd probably go with the KYs, either should be more than sufficient specs wise and with 10,000 hrs. @105C life ratings both are likely to outlast the useful life of the PSU.

Comment

Forgot to post pictures earlier which I have just taken consisting of both the daughter board and main PCB...
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X