about ring tester usage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

about ring tester usage

is there anyone know where i could find the manuals of ring tester? i have googling but it just give me an explanation from Mr Jestine Yong and Anatek Corp. really appreciated it and many thanks.

i just didn't have experience using this tester and i feel that explanation not enough for me.. just my IMO.
    i built this tester based on Mr Humphrey site, so i just wanna know the way to test it on primary and secondary by practicing pict. i means just not a theory that's haven't a picture to see that... anyone have the manuals? or please if dont mind give me example pic to test transformer especially smps atx power supply.

wew. sorry for double post. my internet connection just poor and i don't know that is post already..
    Last edited by senz_90; 09-26-2013, 05:55 AM. Reason: excuse for double post
    "There is no shortcut to be successful. No pain, no gain."

Best Regards
    Rudi
    Thank You

Re: about ring tester usage

The original "LOPT/FBT Tester" manual can be found at...

The newer "Blue Ring Tester" manual is at...

https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...93bffb49ea.pdf

Hope this helps,
    Frank

Comment

Originally posted by fpliuzzi View Post
      The original "LOPT/FBT Tester" manual can be found at...

The newer "Blue Ring Tester" manual is at...

https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...93bffb49ea.pdf

Hope this helps,
      Frank
      thanks . i have download it and read it. i have trying to test small inductor on secondary section my atx power supply and it appears no led lit.. on the manuals said that if no led lit there is a short but the atx power supply fine for the voltage rails.. so i am just confuse. what is the limited from that device.. maybe the other's have an experience using that and please give a advice to using that properly..??

Best Regards
      Rudi
      Thank You

Comment

I'm not quite sure if you saw this article by Justine Yong...

http://www.electronicrepairguide.com...terresult.html

In it Justine states the following...

"What this tester can't do:
        Generally the higher the inductance value the more LED from the tester will light up, assuming if there is no shorted turn in the winding. In other words it can be used to check on coils that have at least .3milihenry and above. If the value is lower than that then there will be less LED will light up and sometimes the LED may go off too. Usually the smaller the coil, the smaller will be the inductance value. Below are the components that this tester can't test:

1) It can't be used to check on small coils and ferrite bead because the inductance value is too small.
        2) It can't be used to check on vertical winding in CRT Monitors/Tvs because the vertical winding is usually too low Q to respond to any ring tester.
        3) It can't be used to check on secondary winding of Switch mode and Flyback Transformer in CRT Monitors/Tvs because the inductance value is too small."

Maybe the small inductor that you are trying to test with the Blue Ring Tester has an inductance value that is too low for the tester to give a valid reading.

Also, this short video by Anatek Corp may be of interest to you if you have not seen it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFyRO42JMbE

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by fpliuzzi View Post
          I'm not quite sure if you saw this article by Justine Yong...

http://www.electronicrepairguide.com...terresult.html

In it Justine states the following...

"What this tester can’t do:
          Generally the higher the inductance value the more LED from the tester will light up, assuming if there is no shorted turn in the winding. In other words it can be used to check on coils that have at least .3milihenry and above. If the value is lower than that then there will be less LED will light up and sometimes the LED may go off too. Usually the smaller the coil, the smaller will be the inductance value. Below are the components that this tester can’t test:

1) It can’t be used to check on small coils and ferrite bead because the inductance value is too small.
          2) It can’t be used to check on vertical winding in CRT Monitors/Tvs because the vertical winding is usually too low Q to respond to any ring tester.
          3) It can’t be used to check on secondary winding of Switch mode and Flyback Transformer in CRT Monitors/Tvs because the inductance value is too small."

Maybe the small inductor that you are trying to test with the Blue Ring Tester has an inductance value that is too low for the tester to give a valid reading.

Also, this short video by Anatek Corp may be of interest to you if you have not seen it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFyRO42JMbE

Frank
          ok. i got it. so it has a limitation on inductor. maybe the one i have tested has a low value.. what about CT (centre tap) transformer? where is the legs that i have to touch with my probe?
          this is just likes a funny question, but you know that the explanation so limited i think, because that is many design on smps transformer for example.. sometimes i look the transformer at atx power supply have a 4 and 3 legs on primary sometimes just 2 legs. so i am confused. maybe it takes your time for explaining and i am really appreciated it.
          i know secondary could measure when i googling but i forgot the link.. it shows that we must shorten the secondary when the tester across primary and if the led just dim all, it means our secondary good.. if led just lit all means that secondary failed. and the secondary have a many legs on smps transformer and which one to be shorten?? in cellphone charger i have tested it and it rights because just have a 2 legs on secondary. maybe i have to found the datasheet for transformer before test it with the tester?
          Last edited by senz_90; 09-27-2013, 08:21 AM.

Best Regards
          Rudi
          Thank You

Comment

Working...
          X