DIY Preheater and Reflow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY Preheater and Reflow

I bought a Arduino Uno R3 mini computer board and a Oven Reflow Controller from Rocket Stream. This will be heck of learning curve. The electronics is the easy part the programming is another. 35 years ago I tried machine languages when the 8080 CPU serenest. That was along time ago. So any help is appreciated. I will post pics and schematics.

Re: DIY Preheater and Reflow

Sound pretty interesting! Would be good to see an update.

Comment

Ordered a heating element from a Milwaukee 8977 heat gun and will use a
      ECOPlus 25CFM 110vac 3.5" fan. I am in the parts gathering stage then will go connecting it testing/modifying stage. Will use SSR with optoisolated input to protect the Arduino/Rocket Stream boards. The plan is to have two heating profiles. Downloaded via USB from computer. Preheat and Reflow.
      Preheat profile for a 5 degree/sec (2-3C) up to 302F (150C) to heat bottom of board and use my Air heat topside for low melt desolder and solder paste soldering.
      Reflow profile a little faster ramp from the 150C point up to 225C Reflow along with topside heat using solder paste. Of cousrse the will be trial and error adjusting the papmeter pracicing on older bad boards.
      I have researched this abit, many sites pretty much agree on temp rates and duration of the heat. Once I am happy with the results I will post all parts used along with schematics and programing,
      Any help or pointed is appeciated. It will not hurt my feeling.

Comment

Reflow should reach a bit higher temps at the end of the profile, 230-235C for a very brief period (5-10 seconds max). Preheat to 150C is right.
        Originally posted by PeteS in CA
        Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
        A working TV? How boring!

Comment

I also have a rocket scream reflow oven controller Arduino shield I've used it a bit, but still looking for the best oven. It works well, but a few quirks:
          The thermocouple size/placement is critical, so sensed temperature closely tracks the component/pcb temperature. The MAX31855 is not a great thermocouple chip. It is very sensitive to (common-mode) hum, and RF from cellphones. A burst of RF causes the temperature reading to fluctuate and the reflow software (wrongly) jumps to the next state, as it does not average readings enough. Or the RF noise trips the MAX31855 fault flags (open/shorted thermocouple) and the reflow software gets confused in the middle of a run.

Ground your Arduino (power) to the oven chassis and keep thermocouple wiring away from the heaters and heater wiring. I added some ferrite beads and a common-mode choke which helped a lot. Test by leaving your cordless/cell phone nearby before you do some boards.

Comment

I am making it after the Zephertronics AirBath. Not a oven but heater fro
            The bottom and I have two different hot air units for topography board. I plan to use it mostly for desoldering and soldering chips etc probably very little Reflow .I will probably have some questions to ask you in a few weeks. My Mother is very ill and needs Prayer.

Comment

Working...
            X