Fedora 16 beta, My thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fedora 16 beta, My thoughts

Well, I just got done upgrading the linux partition of my laptop from fedora 15 to fedora 16 beta.

my specs:

hardware:
    dell latitude d630
    Core2 Duo 2.4ghz
    2gb RAM
    Nvidia quadro NVS 135M
    intel WIFI

SW:
    fedora 16 beta x64
    gnome 3.2
    Windows vista home premium (dual-boot)

My first thoguht is that one is reccomended to read the common bugs page first, as had I done that, I would have known not to try to do a direct upgrade. Instead, I tried that, and well, things got "interesting". After doing a lot of command-line booting and other things, I discovered that the RPMfusion repo for fedora 16 was missing the proprietary nvidia drivers, causing one of the many reasons for failure.

Anyway, after finding the bugs page and realizing what an ID10T I was, I quickly copied my documents, etc. to my external hard drive (being a college student, I have a lot of notes) and set about to burn a live gnome x64 cd and try again.

Well, after installing that, everything changed.

For one, I can for once say that ALL of my laptop's internal hardware (minus the 56k modem, which I could care less about) works to spec. Unlike F15, where nouvea wouldn't cut it in games like foobilliard and neverputt, nouvea in F16 is acceptable. Under foobillard, there was no noticeable lag. foobillard had some lag, but it was minimal at worst. Thus, the lack of the prop. drivers in RPMfusion is less of an issue. In addition, this hopefully will also elimate the "screen tearing" issue that I had in F15 (makes taking notes a real b***).

Another nice thing, not so much a fedora thing exactly, is adobe FINALLY has made flash for x64 linux a binary file. no more fuddling with copying a plugin file as root to make firefox and chrome happy whenever flash was needed.

Also, the stock wallpaper is one of the more "creative" ones I have seen... F14 had a good one, F15 was IMHO a cheesy knockoff of the gnome wallpaper, but the new one isn't too shabby. Still, copied from my last install, I changed to my favorite linux wallpaper.

Another strong point is the inclusion of grub2. FINALLY, the devs at fedora finally got this mainstream... grub legacy was really, really getting to look aged in comparison.

I also liked that they now have a centralized online account manager. Right now, it only has google support, but I was able to in a few easy steps setup evolution (email) and emapthy (chat) all in one move. granted, I still had to manually add my yahoo chat info into emapthy, but the only thing I use the yahoo account for anymore is chatting, so it is much less of an issue.

My favorite new feature is Gnome 3.2. It kept what I liked about gnome 3.0 but fixes a lot of the bugs. My only beef is that the power manager settings no longer seems to have an option to set the behavior of my power button, as I would like for it to display a shut-down menu (shut down, restart, cancel), not put my laptop in standby.

Overall, for a beta release, it seems surprisingly polished... I am very happy with my upgrade!

Anybody else try out F16?
    Attached Files
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Re: Fedora 16 beta, My thoughts

I only use KDE Distros. I have openSUSE KDE on a PC right next to me running f@h, which I'm also using to test a fixed up PSU.
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
      I only use KDE Distros. I have openSUSE KDE on a PC right next to me running f@h, which I'm also using to test a fixed up PSU.
      not to start a religious war, but I never really like KDE. It seemed too much like windows. If I wanted that interface, I would just use windows.

But you are open to your opinion.
      sigpic

Comment

I don't mind gnome, but I guess KDE is just a bit more familliar to me. everyone to their own, though.

I may well give fedora a go and see if it likes my new 'indestructible' fully polymodded IBM netvista (more coming up in another thread).
        Last edited by c_hegge; 10-07-2011, 06:16 AM.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
          I don't mind gnome, but I guess KDE is just a bit more familliar to me. everyone to their own, though.

I may well give fedora a go and see if it likes my new 'indestructible' fully polymodded IBM netvista (more coming up in another thread).
          my only note would be that if your graphics are intel i8xx, i915, or otherwise old, you may not have luck with gnome shell and may get sent to fallback hell.

----------------------------------------------------------------

anyway, so far, so good... it has been pretty stable... knock on wood.
          sigpic

Comment

fedora sucks, it's too bleeding edge and they never spend any time to fix issues because they are too busy working on the next release.

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
              my only note would be that if your graphics are intel i8xx, i915, or otherwise old, you may not have luck with gnome shell and may get sent to fallback hell.
              It's an nVidia FX5200. It works perfectly with openSUSE on my other linux test machine.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad_Professor View Post
                fedora sucks, it's too bleeding edge and they never spend any time to fix issues because they are too busy working on the next release.
                well, they fix a lot more issues than ubuntu ever did... they cram features without fixing the old ones... it is like getting a swiss army knife where only 10 0f the 22 tools actually work as opposed to getting one with 12, working tools.

so, then what distro DO you like?

----

suse- meh. I never understood or enjoyed YAST2. I'd rather not re-invent the wheel.

-----

fx5200 will work, just stick with nouvea.
                sigpic

Comment

CentOS

Comment

not to start a religious war, but I never really like KDE. It seemed too much like windows. If I wanted that interface, I would just use windows.

But you are open to your opinion.
                    Vice-versa, TBH. Microsoft appeared to copy KDE with Windows 7, lol.
                    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by Mad_Professor View Post
                      CentOS
                      I see. If they had gnome 3.x / shell, then I would consider it. but then again, if debian-testing had gnome 3.x, then i would be running that.
                      sigpic

Comment

Personally I dislike KDE...it seems very bloated.
                        I don't like Ubuntu because it's very resource intensive - I've been using Linux Mint 11 (which is basically Ubuntu with a few changes, and it's a lot better)...

I've never tried openSUSE or Fedora, but I might try it at some point, I've got plenty of spare PCs.
                        CentOS is pretty good, too.

Comment

i915
                          i915 is fully supported by X.Org. There's no proprietary-blob hell!
                          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                            i915 is fully supported by X.Org. There's no proprietary-blob hell!
                            thats not the issue. it is called intel messed with the drivers once again and borked anything i915 or i8xx.

they really should have forked the old driver for the chips that the new driver was no good on but that requires too much common sense apparently.
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X