Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hakko FX-888 vs 936

i am in front of a choice.
    -a genuine new 220V 936 from the seller of the Japanese lot. i contacted him and he said that he had a new one somewhere, found it and listed it for me. i have bought it but not paid yet. 150$ (postage included and 5 genuine tips)
    -he told me to wait because a lot of new genuine FX888 was coming these days. he claims that he has worked with both and the 888 is 10 times better. it is 30$ more expensive, and i need a 220-110 adapter also. this would also come with extra tips for 180$.

question is, is it worth it? 30$ less and the ease of just plugging it into the wall for 936, against the proclaimed supremacy all over the web of FX888... is this that good?

Re: Hakko FX-888 vs 936

The FX888 is not ten times better.

It has just about 5 watts more power which means it reaches the temperature and recovers a few seconds faster which is not making a difference in normal usage.

The tips are also compatible between 936 and fx888, the new ones for 888 are just a few mm longer. They can be used with 936, just being a few mm longer the temperature is slightly off - like.. you preset the heat to 350c on the knob and you actually have 325-335c on the tip.

Really, it makes no difference, the solder melts at 215c for lead free but you keep the solder iron at 300-350 anyway so that it recovers fast and there's a heat reservoir in the iron, so being +/- 10c off is not an issue. (and you can open it and adjust the accuracy with a potentiometer inside if it really bothers you)

If it's the genuine Japanese with micro controller it's a good buy, i'd say stick with that one, too much bother with ac adapters for very little benefit.

Comment

thank you mariushm for the feedback. yes, its the japanese one, i was browsing some threads and found good feedback for this seller so i think i can rely on it.

Comment

bought it! now waiting for it to be shipped with the 10 extra tips.

Comment

Originally posted by senndogg View Post
          bought it! now waiting for it to be shipped with the 10 extra tips.
          Sweet. You won't be disappointed.
          36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

Working...
          X