Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to tell about Fake Hakko from the real thing ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to tell about Fake Hakko from the real thing ?

I found one Asian retailer who sell both, fakes and originals.

He was using the same pictures at both product categories.
    What looks interesting is that they separate them just by the price.

Example 65$ (wholesale) the FX-888 / 150$ the real thing.

What I wonder from the point of the consumer, is if there is some visual proofs on them of which one is which?

Re: How to tell about Fake Hakko from the real thing ?

Originally posted by Kiriakos GR View Post
    I found one Asian retailer who sell both, fakes and originals.

He was using the same pictures at both product categories.
    What looks interesting is that they separate them just by the price.

Example 65$ (wholesale) the FX-888 / 150$ the real thing.

What I wonder from the point of the consumer, is if there is some visual proofs on them of which one is which?
    Possibly could have 'chinglish' on it. Like the fake 'Apple' ipod chargers, that say 'Abble' on them xD

You might have to wait a while, but you could possibly get some visual proofs on them, if that cheapo overheats, and starts a fire
    Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Possibly looking at the quality of the printing on the handle, the feet, the knobs...

It's not hard to replicate.

BTW You can get it from Adafruit for 95$ and from Sparkfun for 100$ ... but it's the US 120v version, and possibly costs 20-40$ to ship it to you in Greece.

Comment

perhaps manual ... some inevitable spelling mistakes, fake serial no? bad quality printing and no support telephone no?

Comment

For people in North America, there is no need to buy a FX888 off ebay.

In Canada, with patience, they go on sale for $88.88 CDN at your brick and morter store which is when I invested in one. Hopefully, the FX888 is the first and last soldering station I will every buy. Previously, I was using 40W "sort by lowest price" ebay $4 USD soldering irons. Those served me well, but I decided to make a lifetime investment in the FX888.

In the USA, sometimes I hear they go as low as $65.

I'm aware that for other countries, the 220V FX888 goes for a premium and thus people search for alternatives or non traditional Hakko dealers. In addition, the taxes and shipping that they pay make it 2x the price compared to North America.
          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Interesting suggestions, in Greece we use the word "monkey" for the fakes.
            And there is a joke expression about it.
            If you like to discover if the product is a monkey just put a banana next to it and wait. LOL

Comment

One Greek friend of my, gave me some pictures of those Hakko, fake vs real.

Only by taking them apart and examining the PCB maker, you can say what is what.
              An second tip is the serial number.. if is the same at the carton box, with the one which is on the device.

Due the fact that the electronics and the casing haves a minimum value, what you are really paying for is the Japanese Hot Iron.
              How much Japanese is the hot iron is the next question, when those Hakko are assembled and actually made in Malaysia.

Comment

Working...
              X