Panasonic TC-P46ST30 Fixed SC Board But Still Have a Display Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Panasonic TC-P46ST30 Fixed SC Board But Still Have a Display Issue

Ok. I'll begin wherever you suggest this evening on testing. Sure wish I had an extra set of parts to throw at it right about now.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronwt6 View Post
      Ok. I'll begin wherever you suggest this evening on testing. Sure wish I had an extra set of parts to throw at it right about now.
      Obvious question but those tabs heated up enough to have soldered correctly back onto the board?

Comment

I believe so. I could reheat them. One of the diodes seemed like it didn't want the solder to flow under it as well but it was certainly stuck. I had my iron turned up all the way so it was quite hot.
        Last edited by aaronwt6; 12-16-2014, 07:56 AM.

Comment

I believe so. I could reheat them. One of the diodes seemed like it didn't want the solder to flow under it as well but it was certainly stuck. I had my iron turned up all the way so it was quite hot.
          yeah , well it's a bugger. Was exact same SC I did for 50" , only the 4 IGBTs were bad, I left the rest,

Comment

I'll check my voltages this evening on everything and re-heat all those just in case. If you had to just take a shot in the dark would your guess be that the SC still has additional issues? I really feel like the possibility of the SS being bad too at the same time is slim. I'm tempted to just order another SC so I can have a shot at this thing running by next Tuesday then troubleshooting the board this evening.

Not sure if you'll be around in 11-12 hours but that's when I'd have time. I know you hang out here frequently. Again, I really appreciate your time and hope I can get somewhere with it later today.

Thanks again,

Aaron

Comment

And yes, I think D401 and D421 were ok but I changed them out since I had the parts and it was recommended.

Comment

I'll check my voltages this evening on everything and re-heat all those just in case. If you had to just take a shot in the dark would your guess be that the SC still has additional issues? I really feel like the possibility of the SS being bad too at the same time is slim. I'm tempted to just order another SC so I can have a shot at this thing running by next Tuesday then troubleshooting the board this evening.

Not sure if you'll be around in 11-12 hours but that's when I'd have time. I know you hang out here frequently. Again, I really appreciate your time and hope I can get somewhere with it later today.

Thanks again,

Aaron
                probably an area for a CRO and that's more tom's speciality. If a voltage was out enough it would trip. Try the test patterns and see if any seemed 100% normal..

Did this have loose screws and burn marks?
                All the earth points were cleaned up , new screws and maybe some reflow of the earth points underside of the SC?

Comment

Nearly every screw on all the boards needed a 1/4 turn to snug them up. Same as my 55" version of the same TV that I have in my living room. I repaired that SC board a little over a year ago, tightened all the screws, and have been watching it since. Both it and this 46" were described as briefly having the buzzing sound before they quit.

I did not do anything as far as cleaning the ground points but I did add lock washers to the screws on the SC board and buffers.

Oh, and no burn marks anywhere that I could see.

Comment

Nearly every screw on all the boards needed a 1/4 turn to snug them up. Same as my 55" version of the same TV that I have in my living room. I repaired that SC board a little over a year ago, tightened all the screws, and have been watching it since. Both it and this 46" were described as briefly having the buzzing sound before they quit.

I did not do anything as far as cleaning the ground points but I did add lock washers to the screws on the SC board and buffers.

Oh, and no burn marks anywhere that I could see.
                    Yeah , well I cleaned mine up and added solder. Some were pretty dodgy with no solder left and black. I put all the pics in my thread.

Comment

I'll take a look at that and do as you suggest this evening as well as reheat the tabs on everything I installed. Will post back with updates.

Comment

I took the board back out and checked all the ground connections. A few were sketchy but I don't think they were affecting anything. Cleaned those up and added solder to them. I checked Vs and it's 220V. This seems high to me but I haven't worked on a plasma this new and there's no label on the panel. Tom, if you get on here please let me know what if any other voltages I should check. I may get another board on the way for backup just in case. Assuming that the problem actually still lies in the SC board.

Comment

220V is really quite high for a panel like this. (Panel response is quite nonlinear so going up by just 10V can have a huge effect.) And I have heard that high Vsus can cause blue and green sparkles. Try dropping Vsus to about 205V ~ 210V.

The best way to adjust Vsus is full white: Put a full white pattern up, and adjust it down until you see one of a few things:
                          - Dead/misfiring/intermittent pixels
                          - Pink banding on the screen (may flicker slightly)
                          - Unevenness to the white level, such as a light grey band

At that point, add 2V and call that the final voltage.
                          Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                          For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Let me get you a few pics real quick. I'm unsure which pot is Vs. There are at least two and I don't think they are labeled that way.

Comment

Panasonic call it Vsus (Voltage Sustain)
                              Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                              For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

I believe these should be adequate. I see two. Both on the right side of the board.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Yeah. I knew that about Vsus but I'm used to the LGs with the Pot labeled.

Comment

I think it's got to be VR251 near the bop of the board by the connector to the SS board bunt I want to be sure.

Comment

You're a genius Tom as usual. I dropped the voltage down to just 216 and it cleared up. At 211 it started looking rough again so I settled at 213 and it is perfect. I'll take some pictures after I get my son to bed in a bit. I would have never thought a few volts could make that much difference. Not to mention they were factory set and the TV is only a few years old with less than 2 of actual use on it.

Comment

Thanks again for the advice / guidance.
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Interesting it needed adjustment if the seal was unbroken. what is Vsus set to in the service menu? Mine is set to low. Mind you I changed mine to high and barely any difference.

Anyway glad you got it sorted

Comment

Working...
                                          X