Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electronics Technician Course

Hi everyone
    I just registered for the Electronics Technician course at George Brown College in Toronto, wondering if anyone has taken this or similar course and what they got out of it and how it has been useful in their career or repairs.
    I have a fairly decent knowledge of electronics, was looking to expand and get up to date on the newer technologies that have emerged in the past 10 years since I have been out of the field.
    Any feedback would be great
    Cheers

Re: Electronics Technician Course

I may have posted in wrong area - I was all excited about the course and was speaking to a local repair man who said I was wasting my time and money, but I don't put too much faith in what he says as I get all his "non-repairable" tv's, DVD's, computers, etc and so far have a 100% success rate of repairing them, he just kinda bummed me out about the course being useless.
    The course also carries university credits so I guess it is not a waste in any event.

Comment

Doesn't sound like a waste of time to me.
      There's -always- new stuff coming out.
      Mann-Made Global Warming.
      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
      -
      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
      -

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, most universities offer a course drop period (without tuition penalty) that is usually at least a few days long (mine is 1 week).
        So try the course and see. The instructor usually gives an outline of the course in the first class so that will give you an idea of what it will cover.

Comment

Originally posted by uberplasma View Post
          but I don't put too much faith in what he says as I get all his "non-repairable" tv's, DVD's, computers, etc and so far have a 100% success rate of repairing them
          Don't let him catch onto your success rate! Otherwise, you won't get more stuff.

Sometimes courses are hit/miss and I find it all depends on the instructor. The other advantage of taking a course is the potential future friends and contacts.

I watch as many youtube videos as I can on electronics, smps, etc. I also do the traditional reading of books.
          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

You may find it is a basic electronics course and you must take it as a prerequisite. I know I have to take a ELT 101 course, very simple schematics and explanations as to what such devices like "resistors" and "capacimatators" do.

The instructor was amazed when I did the first 6 weeks of labs on the first lab day. The course is 3 hours long, twice a week. I get bored.

Comment

The diploma and sound repair & troubleshooting techniques are a plus in any resume, anyone can read the led troubles codes , no one sits down and figures out what was wrong in the first place, no component level repair anymore, swap a board, but this forums proves that we are out there in droves and the world still needs mcguyver's.

Comment

Working...
              X