change power input on a viewsonic va912b

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

change power input on a viewsonic va912b

I have a viewsonic monitor that i am tinkering with and my question is can the power input be changed. right now it has the standard power cord type that looks something like you would plug in for a laptop. can this be changed or modified to use a standard 3 prong monitor cord. soldering is not a problem as i have soldered many bad caps but i wand it to use a more standard power cord.

Re: change power input on a viewsonic va912b

Not sure what you mean Monitor has external power supply which connects with a laptop type DC connector. Do you just want to change the connector type or are you thinking of putting a power supply inside.
    Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

yeah. probably not going to work. it uses the style in the pic.
      Attached Files

Comment

It can be done, but I don't know if you'd feel it was desirable.

The *standard" power socket is an IEC C13, it is physically larger than the IEC C7 on your power brick and the pin spacing is different. Thus there's no room to mount it on the PCB or in the space available in the casing.

It is possible to force open your power brick, take out the circuit board, and mount it in a slightly longer case to give you the free space needed, on which you mount a panel mount type IEC C13 socket then solder wires between it and the adjacent contacts on the PCB. The replacement case will need to be roughly, at least 1" longer than the one currently on the power brick, and it will need to allow for a way to keep the PCB from bouncing around inside since the original did that by merely having no free space for the PCB to move.

Where to find a casing of the same dimensions except an inch longer? That's the catch, you may not be able to find one that's the exact dimensions you want, it could end up undesirably large, or it could be costly. It could end up just as cheap to buy a new power supply rated for same voltage and at least as much current that started out with the IEC C13 style socket instead, then if needed, solder on the right sized barrel plug that fits the monitor's power input socket.
        Last edited by 999999999; 05-20-2012, 05:34 PM.

Comment

thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...
          X