Toshiba L500 - the tale of the overprotective protection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toshiba L500 - the tale of the overprotective protection

This one ate up my whole day yesterday... Had this in for a NB replacement (client had done his homework). It would reboot by itself when it was supposed to show the welcome screen.

I tried reinstalling Windows on another hard drive and using VGA. As soon as it loaded the video driver it either rebooted or showed very distorted video. Gave the Intel NB a blast of hot air, no change. So i figured it must be faulty. Replaced NB and stupor.... same thing.

I started checking voltages, and found that the 1.05v supply to the NB dropped to 0.8 or 0.76V when it tried to load the driver. Replaced the PWM chip TPS51117, no change. Replaced the inductor, still no change. I wanted to replace the mosfets but figured that it'd be just as useless, so i downloaded the datasheet and focused on what the PWM was doing. Drive waveforms were ok, output ripple normal, so it had to be current limiting for some reason. Checked output for shorts, could not find anything.

I found the resistor for the TRIP pin to be 14.65K, exactly as per the mainboard schematic. Replaced with a 10K and it had 0.76v from the start, it didn't even POST anymore. That means i lowered the current limit instead of increasing it. Replaced again with a 36K, got a steady 1.05v. Got display, starting windows... and it booted! Nothing's getting hot and the laptop works great.

There was nothing wrong with the board, it just used a little more power than it should have. Beats me why, but that's what it did. Just a heads up if you happen to run into the same issue.

I will attach pics as soon as i get back home.
    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
    A working TV? How boring!

Re: Toshiba L500 - the tale of the overprotective protection

Thanks for sharing

Comment

can you share your schematic i will see step by step

Comment

nice one... you are rly good at this
        Im Back... sort of...

Comment

Something downstream is out of tolerance is my guess and adjusting the current limitation corrected for it. If it works now without issue then I say good fix!

Comment

Nice!
            Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
            RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
            Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
            - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
            - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
            - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
            - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gcomputers View Post
              can you share your schematic i will see step by step
              Sure. See schematic, page 41, PR97. Location on board is circled in last picture in attachments.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Th3_uN1Qu3; 06-05-2015, 05:53 PM. Reason: added attachments, whoops i'm drunk
              Originally posted by PeteS in CA
              Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
              A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Working...
              X