Need Help!! LG Plasma TV Wont Turn On!! Model 50PA5500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Help!! LG Plasma TV Wont Turn On!! Model 50PA5500

I was watching TV like any other day when suddenly my 50 " LG Plasma TV(own for1yr) turn OFF with out pressing the Power BUtton. The Off Power Light indicator turn red. I went ahead and try turning it ON but to my surprised it made a CLICK" noise attempting to turn ON fallowed by a 2nd CLICK" noise which put the TV back to OFF mode. LG customer service suggested to unplug TV, hold power button for 30sec, plug back in and should work, but I was back to step 1. Can anyone help me?? Does this sound like I might need to replaced the Power Board? I have not open the back of the TV cause I need advise from someone with more experience before opening it or calling a technician.

Here is more Info bout my TV hopefully someone can help me.

50" LG Plasma TV
    Model # 50PA5500-UA
    Serial #204RMDZ4E522

Thank You.

Re: Need Help!! LG Plasma TV Wont Turn On!! Model 50PA5500

Is it still under warranty? If so, I'd let a tech look at it. It does sound like a power supply issue, but you won't know for sure until it's opened.
    Last edited by capkid; 05-28-2013, 12:46 AM.
    LG Plasma Mal-Discharge Correction Service

Comment

I think so, customer support said they where going to have a technician call me for further info but so far I did nothing. thank you

Comment

It is LG's problem to fix, not yours.
        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Unfortunately is past the 1 yr cover by manufacturer and It does not have store cover when purchased!! Fxk my life!! I yhink is a power problem board cause the OFF light indicator is solid RED, only blinks when attempt to turn on. I press the ON button and I can hear click" over click" and tells me that the TV wants to turn ON but nothing happends. Not even a slight twitch or flash on the screen!! Should I open it and check my self??

Comment

There are some potentially lethal voltages in there, so take it to a shop if you don't feel comfortable.
            LG Plasma Mal-Discharge Correction Service

Comment

Not potentially lethal. They ARE lethal when the set is on and shortly after power off. However, even if you have just basic electronics experience (e.g. you have tested a car battery with a multimeter) you will usually be fine.
              Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
              For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

And you can always put on a pair of rubber gloves if you're that concerned with getting shocked.

Comment

Hi,
                  So what the final of this 'history'? I got the same problem and trying to find a solution.
                  To Andy323, have you managed to resolve it?

Comment

Unfortunately, I have been overwhelm with work and have not yet get around to look at my TV as LG warranty only covers parts and not tech support. Also, approved techs in L.A prices are sky high just for a estimate.

Comment

Hi – please call back LG and complain to them that you should not have a problem with a 500-2500 purchased tv after a year - even used cars last longer! I did this a few years ago and they paid for the technician to come out to my house after I harassed them by calling every day for a week.

The problem is either the Zsus or Ysus board by the way. The technician gave me a year warranty, and it happened again after 16 months. We investigated and bought a new ysus bored and fixed it ourselves.

My LG now would not turn back on after the power went out three days ago, and it is now six years old. I gave up and bought a new one.

Comment

Same problem, TV turns on then immediately turns off. Fixed it with an 89 cent capacitor. TV is an LG 50PA5500, two and a half years old. Suddenly stopped working...would switch it on and it would immediately turn off. Sometimes if I left it unplugged for a while and plugged it back in, then it would click at intervals of 1 & 5 seconds repeatedly.

Inspection of the main power board showed C802, a rectangular film capacitor at the top of the board between the transformer and heatsksink was bulging at the sides. Found the part, 0.022uF 1.25KVDC, on DigiKey at $0.89 + ~$3 shipping (more expensive on eBay!). Replaced, TV working like new again.

Just posting as a possible quick-fix for others...on first inspection I was looking only at the usual suspects, the electrolytic caps. Took another very close look before I saw the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by refnoredcard View Post
                          Same problem, TV turns on then immediately turns off. Fixed it with an 89 cent capacitor. TV is an LG 50PA5500, two and a half years old. Suddenly stopped working...would switch it on and it would immediately turn off. Sometimes if I left it unplugged for a while and plugged it back in, then it would click at intervals of 1 & 5 seconds repeatedly.

Inspection of the main power board showed C802, a rectangular film capacitor at the top of the board between the transformer and heatsksink was bulging at the sides. Found the part, 0.022uF 1.25KVDC, on DigiKey at $0.89 + ~$3 shipping (more expensive on eBay!). Replaced, TV working like new again.

Just posting as a possible quick-fix for others...on first inspection I was looking only at the usual suspects, the electrolytic caps. Took another very close look before I saw the problem.
                          Thanks for posting this! I currently have the same initial problem, and I missed the bulging film capacitor at C802 when I inspected the boards. Went back to look after reading your post and saw it. Ordered a replacement from Digikey and hoping it works if I manage to successfully replace it!

Comment

Update to above

I was able to fix my LG 50PA5500 that wouldn't power on the screen (red light on and 2 clicks when attempting to power on) by replacing the film capacitor at C802 on the main power board as has been mentioned above with this replacement from Digikey (http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...1360-ND/592936). I replaced it using all the guides and information on the forum about replacing capacitors and the TV works as good as new. I was worried I would have to spend hundred to get it repaired or just replace it when it broke, but I got it fixed for like $5 so I'm stoked. This is a great community loaded with great information and support. Thanks.

Comment

THANK YOU!!!! My son's LG had the very same problem. By reading these posts I was able to repair the unit by replacing C 802. I had a little bit of a hard time finding the cap, Digikeys and other suppliers were sold out.
                              But I found one on Ebay, a higher power one that we hope will last longer. Cap and rush shipping was about $10. My granddaughter's face when she saw TV working again? Priceless.

Comment

Same problem as above
                                I will try replacing the c-802 as mentioned
                                Looking at it it appears fine, however it is different in appearance from the other " barrel " shaped capacitors
                                I notice that all the capacitors have a band indicating negative lead both on the board and a stripe on the capacitor
                                This one does not have this indication - it in fact does not have the appearance of a capacitor
                                The C-802 on my board is green in color with the following markings: FL 1.5 kHP 473HS K09
                                I was unable to get a PHE850EB5220MB06R17 however was told that
                                399-5925-ND was the equivalent
                                Does it have to be installed in a specific way
                                Thanks for your help

Comment

These types of capacitor are non polar, i.e. they work either way around.

Comment

Just received my capacitor 399-595-ND and it looks nothing like the original
                                    My LG 50" plasma has a power supply board p/n EAY6096871
                                    I am attaching a photo of the capacitor c-802 that I require
                                    The one I received is black in colour
                                    and is oblong in shape.
                                    Also the leg spacing does not match the holes in the circuit board - spacing on board are farther apart
                                    Can anyone give me the correct part number or can I modify the one I received
                                    Thanks
                                    Attached Files

Comment

This part has been suggested before:
                                      http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...583-ND/1647864

I don't know who suggested that other cap but it would never work, maybe the number is typoed.

Comment

Hi Tom
                                        Looked up that capacitor on Digikeys web site
                                        The lead spacing is still .591 inches
                                        The spacing on the board is .854 inches
                                        Also the one you mentioned appears to be fairly flat whereas the existing one is about 1 inch long and .6 inches wide - sort of oval
                                        Not having a lot of luck
                                        The capacitors are cheap but the shipping is over 8 times the cost- so I don't want to keep ordering more until I am sure it will work
                                        Any suggestions appreciated
                                        Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                        X