Refrigerator motherboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Refrigerator motherboard

Not so surprised to find a bad cap in this early 2005 GE side by side refrigerator motherboard.
    Attached Files

Re: Refrigerator motherboard

Probably would have been fine if it wasn't sitting next to that heatsink.

Recap the damn board and let us know if it fixes the fridge.

Comment

What was the issue with it, was it not powering up? What are the brand of those caps?

Comment

Got a new board free from GE - warranty issue, and the board completely fixed the fridge.
        Issue was variable speed fans ramping up and down making a moaning noise, as well as the compressor would turn off and not turn back on, letting everything melt. If the fridge was unplugged about 30 minutes then plugged back in, it would work for a while - initially for a few weeks, then the time period working became shorter and shorter until it wouldn't stay working for even a day.

Caps were Nantung CD288HL 105 degC 470 uF 25V

Comment

What about the new one? If it has the same brand caps you should probably consider a preventative recap right after the warranty expires.

Comment

I am new to the board but have the same power problem with my GE PSS26MSTA. I am getting the run around from GE, but if the problem is the caps how hard are they to replace? The board cost $175 and I am retired with little to spare. I do have some skills in this area, but some boards are VERY hard to get right.

Comment

You may have been better on a refrigeration forum - I dont see many posts on here regarding refrigerator motherboards. As to how hard are they to replace - well that mainly depends on you. This old post cropped up earlier today and has some relevance.
              https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=485
              Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

The only pain I foresaw was cleaning the potting compound/protective coating from the board. I did not repair the board but kept it in the box the new board was shipped in... I got the run around at first, but when I referenced some information off the internet about the problem and repair documentation they said they could arrange a service call and they would provide the part and I would pay labor - but I asked if I could install the part myself, and they said ok but no guarantee, and if they sent out a service tech and the board didn't fix the problem I would have to pay labor AND the part. After I assured them I only wanted the board shipped directly to me, and I would install the board myself and did not want a warranty just the board, THEN they agreed to send the board. I had several phone calls over a couple days and was on the phone more than a couple hours including hold time... but persistence paid off :-)

Comment

Hello themummerts,

Welcome to the forum. I hate that some pcbs have a con-formal coating. I guess its so you or any other normal handy person can't repair it. Or maybe because of where its mounted. I had a similar issue with a ecu board for a industrial vehicle. Theres one on Ebay right now for a fair price. Good luck I hope you get it going again!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GE-Refrigera...7e22e97&_uhb=1

Take Care,
                  lcdman

Comment

Working...
                  X