New CD/DVD drive in xbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New CD/DVD drive in xbox

Our old regular xbox's cd/dvd drive took a massive dump. Third time, first two times it was sent back, now it's out of warranty.

I have a couple old games that I want to play again that my 360 dosen't support, and also it's a good dvd player. It won't play any thing right now. I'm pretty sure it's the cd/dvd drive. I can't remember what is it in exactly, I think it's a Philips drive. Is there some special mod I have to do to put in a regular cd/dvd drive, special firm ware or a mod chip?

Re: New CD/DVD drive in xbox

Are you loooking for the cheapest, or easiest way?

There were some different regular PC DVDROM drives that can be modded and flashed to work on the 1st gen Xbox. I know two of them were the LG GDR 8163 and 8164, but they require board level mods, as well as the firmware flash. And on a PC DVD drive, you'll have to mod the drives case or the mounting location on the Xbox itself, due to the integrated mounting method they used for the original drives.

Or, you can go to www.llama.com and buy a brand new Samsung Xbox drive for probably $60 or so.. Or hit up ebay, but make sure it's for an Xbox, not the Xbox 360..

Comment

Your going to need a t12 driver to remove the screws 4 under the feet and two under the stickers.

Replacing the drive is simpler but replacing the laser is cheaper. You just have to know if you have the Thompson, Phillips, Samsung, or LG drive and buy the proper laser. If you're just replacing the drive the brand makes no difference.
      Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Already opened it up to reapply thermal paste on the gpu and cpu, the cd/dvd drive's case has this huge lump on the bottom that I guess is used to route the air flow?

Comment

The only lump I know of is for the thermal transfer pad to transfer the heat from the laser driver IC on the DVD drive mainboard to the casing using it as a large heatsink.

That bump should be the size of the IC.
          Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

This bump is huge. This was a while back. I don't have the xbox currently.

Comment

Working...
            X