Samsung 245BWProblems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung 245BWProblems

Hi guys. Great forum. I have 2 of these 245BW monitors which have failed and would like to try and fix them if possible. They were bought used and have no idea how old they are.

Both have the same problem. When turning on the blue power light stays on but no picture appears even for a second. When one stopped working it made a slight loud "tick noise" which I thought could be a fuse.

I have taken that monitor apart up and tested the fuses which are fine. No bulging capacitors and resistors look fine as well. I'm thinking I could spend many hours on this testing and changing caps etc. My electronics knowledge is poor but can use a multi-meter.

As an alternative I was considering just biting the bullet and ordering two new power supplies on ebay for $50+ each. Could save 20 hours of time for a newbie like me plus would have a new board. I can return one or both supplies if they don't fix the problem and just be out the return shipping cost (although to Hong Kong). Something like this...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-2493...06%26rk%3D1%26

I guess the question for the experts are:

1. What are the odds it's the power supply based on the symptoms? From the ones you have fixed what is the % it's power supply and % it's something else?
    2. Any better sources for power supplies than these on ebay?

Thanks in advance
    DJ
    Last edited by djkiwi; 08-15-2012, 03:17 PM.

Re: Samsung 245BWProblems

These often have a well known problem - did you try the SEARCH facility above.

Read this thread

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...5BW#post237743
    Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Thanks Selldoor for the quick response and the link. Hadn't seen that thread but saw the others. Ok so I tested the resistors and all were 67 ohms so no luck there.....I will order these power supply boards and install them and report back.

Cheers
      DJ

Comment

Update on this. In total I have 9 of these same monitors. Two had failed, now a third one failed yesterday, all the same symptoms - blue power light stays on but no picture present. I've ordered two new power supply boards at a cost of $57 each with free shipping on the basis probably 2 of the 3 have bad power supplies and whole new power supplies should last longer than just changing caps or resistors. Will update when I have received and installed the new power supplies.

Cheers
        DJ

Comment

Does anybody know of later model 24inch monitors that have the same or similar picture quality for 2D non gaming work and are more reliable? This failure issue is a little annoying and am afraid all 9 could go up in smoke...

Thanks
          DJ

Comment

**Update on this today**

Some history:

Ok, so 3 monitors out of 9 failed and I bought another and now have 10. I need these screens for trading multiple futures instruments so had 8 for the main trading rig plus another for a spare PC. I lost one on the main rig so moved the one from the spare PC to the main rig. Then I lost two more and was down to 6 which was a problem. Bought another one and have been trading with only 7 which has been a problem.

I took a punt and ordered two power supplies from ebay and installed them today and both monitors are working well. Both faulty power supplies had no signs of bulging caps or other obvious signs plus fuses were good. So now I now I am back to where I started, 8 in the main trading rig and one back on the spare PC plus I also have one faulty one.

The power supplies cost me $57 each with free shipping which is worth it for me. I could have spent hours messing around trying to find the problem which is not a good use of valuable time PLUS I have a new board meaning the likelihood of something else going wrong is less than if I had just changed the caps or resistors. I'm now going to order a third power supply to see if I can extend the winning streak to 3 in a row! This will then give me two spare.

The forum was very useful in helping. Thanks guys....

Cheers
            DJ
            Last edited by djkiwi; 09-07-2012, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Im curious how much you have been payin for them... New? Used? if used how old aprox?

I bought my first one for ~$300 a LOONG time ago, easily 5+ years ago... then i got 2 more for 150 each off craigslist that were used but in better condition than the one i already owned... (guys house i went to buy it from was insane clean, definately a OCD case heh, prob took great care) but -- in the end the first one to die was one i bought used...unfortunately i did have a torch burnin MAP gas pushin a lil hot air in that direction while heatin up titanium a couple of times a day - ill have to be more careful when i get the monitor back in that location heh..

Im debating if i should continue to buy more 245bw's or move onto a new monitor... but i havent found anything of similar quality... hard to find a 24" or bigger with atleast 1920 resolution... debating also tryin to find a 3D Capable monitor that would fit in the middle of my 245bw 2D Surround Sandwich, not sure if its worth it or not..

Have you found any monitors you like as much as the 245bw? -- id guess not considering your up to 10 now hehe but figured id ask casue you have plenty to compare against...

Thanks...
              ...Patrick
              Last edited by Ober; 09-08-2012, 09:54 PM. Reason: Forgot to say Thanks! and Sign!

Comment

Hi Patrick I bought 2 new ones for $200 a couple of years ago and the rest used for about $150 each. Someone told me the dell was good. Forget the model number. I haven't really tried many others. I did buy a newer Samsung 27 inch on ebay a couple of months ago but it had terrible resolution so returned it.

Cheers
                DJ

Comment

Working...
                X