Lead vs lead free solder headaches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lead vs lead free solder headaches

Seems like I read a article thats pro lead then the next,pro lead free.Keeps going back & forth.I read in the US,NASA,navy,army,& military still use lead solder on their electronics.

I am in the middle on this,lean a lil more towards lead though.I believe the only reason lead free solder cameout is because of enviomentalists,nothing more.
    Many of you probably have experience with both types of solder.
    What do you prefer & why?What mix do you prefer?Do each have their limits for certain applications?

I'm sure this topic has came up many times on here
    Lead solder
    0%
    Lead free solder
    0%
    Lead solder,but depends on application
    0%
    lead free solder,but depends on application
    0%
    No preference
    0%

The poll is expired.

Re: Lead vs lead free solder headaches

RoHS banned lead based solders in common consumer stuff because these devices are thrown in the general garbage and eventually the lead "leeks" into the ground water.

Lead based solders are still allowed in critical devices (medical equipment), airplanes, industrial stuff and there are quite a lot of other exemptions.

Lead in solder also helps prevent solder whiskers, it reduces the growth but doesn't block it completely (but there are some lead free compositions where solder whiskers aren't possible or the growth is extremely slow).

I personally switch between 63/37 solder and 60/40 solder, but leaning a lot on 63/37. I use 60/40 when I have to desolder stuff or when I have to add lots of solder to something (thickening power traces for example) and I use 63/37 when I actually have to solder something small, temperature sensitive devices etc

60/40 has a plastic region, it stays in a semi-liquid state for some time before getting hard.. which is bad if you move the leads or component while solder cools down. it causes bad joints. But by adding a bit of solder to existing leads and heating each one, you can pull a component out of a board more easily.

63/37 is euctetic, it has a very narrow plastic region of maybe 1-2c degrees. It solidifies almost instantly when temperature drops below around 183c so soldering is very nice with such solder. Heat lead and pad, add solder, remove solder wire, remove iron, done. Quick and reliable.

Comment

Leaded for me. It doesn't crack as easily, nor does it grow whiskers as easily.
      Last edited by c_hegge; 01-29-2014, 08:24 PM.
      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by mariushm View Post
        Lead based solders are still allowed in critical devices (medical equipment), airplanes, industrial stuff and there are quite a lot of other exemptions.
        Now... what does that tell you about how well lead-free works?

(I actually first learned to solder with lead-free, but leaded is a lot easier)

Comment

I prefer leaded solder, but since I already have a huge spool of 95/5 tin/antimony lead-free solder (it's for plumbing really), I just use that instead - at least for through-hole stuff. With a good soldering station, I don't mind it that much at all. However, when I have to use my other weaker irons, the lead-free really does take its toll and it's much harder to solder/desolder.

Now, when doing any sort of reballing, I always use leaded solder. It allows the balls to melt at a much lower temperature (200C vs. 230C for lead-free) and so puts MUCH LESS strain on the chip. Lead-free isn't so bad for through-hole stuff such as PSUs and even for SMD. But in the BGA world, it is absolutely no good!

Comment

Kester solder

Anyone know where I can buy some kester solder without having to buy a bundle of rolls?
            I want to get Sn62Pb36Ag2(62% tin/36% lead/2% silver) #50/245 .025 part #2471508809
            Everywhere I look I have to buy a min of 20 to 25 rolls
            Sorry I went a bit off topic on my own thread lol.Thought it would be silly to make a new thread just to ask this.
            Last edited by tronik25; 02-12-2014, 08:03 AM.

Comment

Did you try Ebay yet Tronik? There's guys there who sell Kester solder in 5 and 10 ft lengths.

As for the poll, I've only ever used leaded solder but I just bought a 1lb roll of 95/5 Kester 44 .031 dia today. $46 on ebay. So after I try it, I'll let you know.
              Last edited by lookimback; 02-17-2014, 07:07 PM.
              ------------signature starts here------------

Comment

The thought of lead less solder has me terrified so far... I have been soldering electrical parts since elementary school (back then if u ran out, just dig into dad's toolbox and grab the acid core); since high school it's always been 60/40 radio solder....
                I do use leadless on copper pipe for my hot water heating systems ,but that's with a torch not a pencil iron. I have some on order now for my current project an LCD tv we will see how it goes

Btw I thought I read somewhere that it's bad to mix leaded and leadless- causes cracking??
                Last edited by Fwrothy; 03-06-2014, 06:26 PM. Reason: Correct autocorrect

Comment

Leaded but maybe thats what i was brought up on, and it looks a lot better, lead free always seems to look like a dry joint even when its good.

Comment

I hate lead free...

I use 60/40 rosin core for pretty much everything and have done since I was 11

lead-based solder is pretty good for lowering the melting point of lead-free stuff too in my experience (makes de-soldering through-hole components on double and multilayer boards easier)

Comment

Currently I have three rolls of solder:
                      63/37 Sn/Pb Kester 44 - I can see the "instafreeze" and very shiny metal joint. Rosin in this works very well for cleaning the joint.
                      60/40 Sn/Pb Noname - when this "freezes" slowly, it doesn't give a shiny joint. I think that this stuff is good for "diluting" lead free solder a bit. Rosin isn't that great.
                      99.7/0.3 Sn/Cu Noname - This is my lead free roll in case I have to deal with stuff that I don't want lead to be exposed. I haven't used it much. It has a white rosin core that I'm not sure about...

Unfortunately I don't have a temp controlled iron right now (it broke) and the irons I have all are "too hot" so it tends to melt all the solders quite quickly. Probably also melts bonding pads on IC packages too...

Comment

if you have a soldering station with temp control,
                        modern lead free solders are great.

the old problems where nothing to do with not having any lead in them.
                        it was that the flux formula's didnt work on tin/copper or tin/copper/silver very well.

after over 10years of research - that's solved.
                        i use "multicomp kristall 505" which is 99.3% tin and .7% copper and it's better that leaded but needs a higher temp.
                        and for "special" small stuff, i use "stannol TSC" which is 95% tin, 1% copper & 4% silver.
                        this has a lower melting point, but is F'ing expensive because of the 4% silver content.
                        if it was cheaper i'd use it for everything.

Comment

Lead for me 63/37 I have been buying 1lb rolls of Qualitek from Philmore.

Comment

I have a question on the tin/copper or tin/copper/silver solders: Does the copper or silver lead to any reliability concerns long-term? I am hoping the through-hole repairs and replacements I'd like to do will be essentially permanent (good for decades of service).

The station I'm likely to get is something like a Hakko FX-888D - I'd like to get a JBC but don't quite have the money.

Comment

Originally posted by mariushm View Post
                              RoHS banned lead based solders in common consumer stuff because these devices are thrown in the general garbage and eventually the lead "leeks" into the ground water.
                              That's right out of the enviro-nazis' playbook. Landfills, for the last 25-30 years (at least) are lined and have leachate (water) treatment facilities, like a giant swimming pool. There's a complete WWTP which processes leachate before sent to rivers or sewers. In the case of discharge-to-sewer, the end product is actually cleaner than most everything else entering that sewer.

As for the solder itself:

Chlorine and sodium don't "leek" out of common table salt if you dump it on the ground, and chromium sure as hell doesn't "leek" out of stainless steel if you bury it in the ground.

If anything, under acidic conditions, it's the tin that leaches from solder as the lead is protecting it.

Elements vs. compounds.

ROHS belongs in a burning "rowhouse." Another load of "feel-good" bullshit, er bull$$$hit, from "people" deciding, for the rest of us, something that's none of their damn business.
                              "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
                              Originally posted by shango066
                              All style and no substance.
                              Originally posted by smashstuff30
                              guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
                              guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

I've not had the 'pleasure' of actually trying to work with lead-free solder and I don't want to.
                                "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                                -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Herdman View Post
                                  I have a question on the tin/copper or tin/copper/silver solders: Does the copper or silver lead to any reliability concerns long-term? I am hoping the through-hole repairs and replacements I'd like to do will be essentially permanent (good for decades of service).

The station I'm likely to get is something like a Hakko FX-888D - I'd like to get a JBC but don't quite have the money.
                                  lead-free solder joints are stronger and have a lower electrical resistance.
                                  but if you use it on stuff exposed to the weather it will go rusty!
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                    lead-free solder joints are stronger...
                                    ... but easily become brittle with thermal cycles.

I'm okay with lead-free for larger through-hole stuff (like PSUs) and SMD soldering. However, when it comes to really fine SMD work (i.e. fine pitch SOIC) and BGA, lead-free is shit. It grows tin wiskers too easily to be used on very fine stuff and really puts a lot of stress on BGA chips when they are soldered at the factory, because they must get heated to at least 225C (vs. just 200-210C max for leaded solder).

Comment

Working...
                                    X