85W Macbook magsafe PSU troubleshooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

85W Macbook magsafe PSU troubleshooting

Can anyone help here? I have an 85W magsafe adapter that has semi failed! It is not the flex. I cut the end off and was getting a very low voltage, by shorting the wires together i could trick it to kickstart and it would goto 6V once plugged into the mac and trick started with a short of the power cable at the same time it go's to 16 or 17V and works fine!
    I am thinking it is a bad Capacitor. I know it is really difficult to open these things up without destroying some of the components in the process. Any views on this?
    James

Re: General PSU Discussion and FAQ contributions

Hi Guys, does anyone know why an 85W Macbook magsafe PSU may be acting up? It is not a broken flex.
    I cut the end off and was getting a very low voltage. When tricking it by shorting the leads together i could get it to jump to 6V
    Once plugged into the mac and again tricking it by shorting the cable together at the same time it jumps to it's normal operating voltage around 17V!
    I'm thinking it's a bad capacitor. Has anyone had similar problems with other/similar PSU's?
    Ps. How do i start a new thread on this if i want to?

Comment

Re: 85W Macbook magsafe PSU troubleshooting

I merged your 3 separate posts here, please do not litter the FAQ's with content that does not belong there.
      "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

As Per says we do not like multiple posts for the same question and definitely not in FAQ stickies. If you want to make a new thread (on another subject!!) then scroll down to
        Forum Jump and pick a suitable forum. When that forum opens there will be a blue box at the top left where you can create a new thread.
        Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

foto's and all that.stuff

Comment

Originally posted by selldoor View Post
            As Per says we do not like multiple posts for the same question and definitely not in FAQ stickies. If you want to make a new thread (on another subject!!) then scroll down to